nfs: Failed to connect the test server: make sure you have SMB running

desertkun

n3wb
Reaction score
Posting this as a solution for googlers alike, should someone encounter this.

When setting up NFS NAS for recordings on my DS-2CD2321G0-I-NF, I kept getting "Failed to connect the test server" no matter what I tried.
What made things worse is I knew this works with three other cameras, but I upgraded this one before trying, and it just won't let go.

Upon debugging and watching closely on what the camera tries to do, I noticed that it tries to open a connection on port 139, which is related to SMB, despite me selecting "NFS" as NAS type.
So installing "Samba" server on my linux box, which hosts the NFS server, solved the problem. Apparently it tries to check on some things on SMB and failing to do so fails the test for NFS too.

P.S. does anybody know how to get (bash) root access to my camera? Standard "ssh" busybox is just useless. I'd really appreciate if anyone can hit me with a hint on PM or something. Spent like two days trying to crack it open, to no avail.

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Might have something to do with samba versions. For streaming content to older TVs/devices on my network I had to tell Qnap to use older than smb 3