Newer Hikvision offerings still using active/x controls?

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Curious if the newer Hikvision models are still using webcomponents.exe active/x controls.

With Windows deprecation of Internet Explorer, I'm considering upgrading all my cameras (2CD2385G1's) to something newer that uses newer technology in the browser interface. However, there's no indication on the Hikvision web site which cameras really get away from the old active/x mindset.

I use my cameras mostly to record video to my NAS, but I still need the camera's web interface to pull through the recordings from each camera when there's something I have to retrieve. However, the 'playback' and 'picture' tabs simply do not work in Chrome, nor is the live video particularly good in terms of quality through Chrome. I'm forced to use IE (or Edge in IE mode, which I absolutely despise) to retrieve video.

Since the last firmware for my cameras was published almost a year ago, there seems no forward momentum on bringing the web interface for my cameras to allow access from modern browsers.

Are the newer Hikvision offerings still stuck in the 1990's with active/x technology? When I look at a newer version of my camera (e.g. the 2CD2387G2), I see:

Web Browser: Plug-in required live view: IE 10, IE 11; Plug-in free live view : Chrome 57.0+, Firefox 52.0+; Local service: Chrome 57.0+, Firefox 52.0+

which implies they're still stuck in that active/x mindset.

Perhaps its time to shift to a competitor.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
With Windows deprecation of Internet Explorer, I'm considering upgrading all my cameras (2CD2385G1's) to something newer that uses newer technology in the browser interface
What firmware version are they currently running?

Live View works OK plugin-free under Firefox in Linux, and Edge in Win10, on this version of firmware, and presumably the couple of later versions :

1668946909654.png

A selection of firmware from here :

And a later version (untried by me) here :

But I can't vouch for how well the playback works with NAS storage, as all my cameras record to NVRs.