Newcomer: When do one need "Dark fighter / Low light" cams ?

fabhund

n3wb
Reaction score
Dear Group.
As a regular homeowner, I would like to hear your take on when a "Dark fighter" or the like is needed ?

I have for 2-3 years been running a setup with 2 Hikvision DS-2CD2232-I5
One cam is covering my front of the house and the public road with, approx 20m to the nearest lamp post.
The walker is about 15m away. Middle of the night with IR illuminating the gravel in front and the lamp post making the road shine up.

The other one is in my driveway, and here i also get a _bit_ of light from the next lamp post.

I want to add an additional camera as I have a blind spot between the 2. And wondering if I should go with the recent 4MP Hikvision. Or don't get fooled by the MP, and get a larger 1/2,8" sensor but "only" 2MP.
Other suggestions like a 4MP cam + an external IR lamp ? Or simply stick with the 3MP current version ?

I would like to stick to Hikvision, and the price range within fixed lens outdoor bullet cams.
Best Regards, Bo Andersen.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, if you refuse to add more lighting and want a crappy image like the one above, then go with the 4mp..if you actually want usable footage get the 2mp...there are a million posts explaining the difference..you seem to still be stuck on MP...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Night is when most of the bad stuff happens so the 2MP starlight cams are probably what you should buy. An IR illuminator brings a 4MP camera a lot closer to a 2MP starlight, but you are probably still better off with the 2 MP starlight and no illuminator. (or a 2MP starlight with an illuminator too!)

Nayr did quite a few tests in the first page or two of this thread: Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

erieadams

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This currently is the top dog in darkness. Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

More IR is never a bad thing.
Didn't want to start a new thread for one i could prolly find by searching 100 more post on the 2mp starlight 5231. I just purchased 2 of the 2mp 5231 and 4 of the IPC-HFW3200S i know they are suppose to be good low light cameras but my yard is pitch black so will they still do good or should I get a flood light or external ir illuminater for each camera i would ultimately like color night vision