Newbie-struggling with Dahua setup

Brad Palmquist

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,

First let me say I appreciate any help you guys care to give me. I have read countless threads and wikis here but I must be extremely technologically challenged. I bought a Dahua NVR 5216-16P a while back with 6 IPC HDW 5831 cams, but never got around to installing them. Now I setup my NVR and connected a prewired Cat5e cable and installed a camera over my front door. I initialized the cam and can view it through the NVR, I tried to setup tripwire alarms and motion alarms but the tripwire never alerts. THe motion alert will appear on my NVR but the playback wont be available. I then do a manual playback but only the green "regular" bar is available. Clicking the Alarm or motion box does nothing.

I then read Dahua's wiki and threads here to setup email alert and no matter what settings I try I repeatedly get Test Failed. I am using a Gmail which I have changed the security settings as users here have suggested; with no luck. I also tried an old yahoo account but also got Test Failed through the NVR.

I was using the original firmware from 1-11-19. I updated the NVR firmware to system version 4.000..1.2 built on 11-1-2019. I got the same Test Failed.

Finally I tried every version of gdmss on android and can view the live video and playback, but cant get push notifications.

I am obviously WAY over my head and have ZERO networking experience or knowledge. Are there any video tutprials for newbies like me you guys can recommend? Any help is much appreciated as I am at my wit's end.I love the camera quality, but am debating dumping this setup for an "easier" install setup like a swann lorex etc.

Thanks again for your time!

MickPB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Brad
Lets start a newbie support group. I too am trying to figure out the Dahua config. I am using the 5231 and 2231 cams that have motion and trip wire built in. Can you share a screen capture of your configuration? I am wondering if the trip wire is beyond the camera capable distance

Brad Palmquist

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Brad
Lets start a newbie support group. I too am trying to figure out the Dahua config. I am using the 5231 and 2231 cams that have motion and trip wire built in. Can you share a screen capture of your configuration? I am wondering if the trip wire is beyond the camera capable distance
Hey Mick,

Sorry you joined the club with me. To be honest since I updated the firmware to version 4 I haven't bothered looking for the tripwire settings. I did try to setup the motion alarm again and even when using the entire screen in region settings it wont show the motion alerts on the playback menu. I do the get motion alarm popup tho.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Baby steps.
A lot of the settings must be performed directly in the cameras setup.
Log into the NVR IP address, using a browser. There are additional setup features available there.

MickPB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there a histogram anywhere? Wife and I took turns walking in front of the camera adjusting the sensitivity for better results in the gravel I think there is too much noise from the texture in the background. Suggest :Two people on a cell phone and Chevy's comments above. The histogram shows you how much motion the cam is detecting and the threshold is the level that once exceeded should trigger an alert

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Agree with @looney2ns take it slow and breathe, you’re in the right place for help but start with the web GUI and the NVR GUIs both through a browser and if using v4 on the 5216 make sure you use IE