Newbie Recommedations

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The three basic rules of video surveillance cameras-

Rule #1 - Cameras multiply like rabbits.
Rule #2 - Cameras are more addictive than drugs.
Rule #3 - You never have enough cameras.

See my signature line here. I'm running an i7-6700K with 20 cameras at the moment. Since sub streams came along older hardware has remained very capable. Another thing about BI is that you can also use DeepStack AI to identify things you're interested in and trigger alerts, SMS messages, emails, sounds, as needed. DeepStack does work better with a dedicated graphics card, CUDA capable, but if the system load is low will also work on the CPU fairly well.

Incidentally, I started with two cameras and never thought I'd have more than four or worst case six. Now I'm up to 20. I' be installing numbers 21 and 22 over the next week or two.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have an old desktop with 16g ram and an I7-6700 processor...would that work ok?

As already mentioned, yes, that would be great to use with BI.

Make sure you buy BI from the ipcam talk store, supports the site, they also keep info on file (like license) which comes in handy.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
I have an old desktop with 16g ram and an I7-6700 processor...would that work ok?

As already mentioned, yes, that would be great to use with BI.

Make sure you buy BI from the ipcam talk store, supports the site, they also keep info on file (like license) which comes in handy.
$20 bucks cheaper too!

unmesh

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I came here because I'm intrigued by IP cameras and wanted to do something. I was originally thinking of getting an entry level Reolink or Amcrest indoor camera but am now willing to do as @mat200 recommends and "get one good varifocal 4MP dahua oem camera" and begin playing with the technology. So which one?

@SouthernYankee, I'm very familiar with computers and networking and associated software and have all of the non-camera stuff you recommend already operational (Gigabit Ethernet with wired switches, some of which are PoE, WiFi using APs, pfSense to lock down the network, servers, NASes, a couple of Windows desktops one of which is powered down, all manner of network clients) so the camera and a BI licence should get me off and running with newer toys.

I'm sure my wife will again ask me "so what problem are you trying to solve?" :)

Thanks

P.S.: And I am strictly prohibited from installing videocams inside the house

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @unmesh

Check out @SouthernYankee 's post he highlighted a model to check out, look for review here .. on that model.

IPC-HDW5442t-ZE

dok0619

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well at this point I am unfortunately more undecided then ever about what cameras I should purchase lol . I have literally read hours of posts about different cams in here including reviews, setups and troubleshooting etc... kind of a paralysis by analysis situation now. I'm gravitating towards the recommended IPC-HDW5442t-ZE for at least one cam up front but also want a camera for the front door to act as a doorbell cam with 2way talk, but I dont really want a doorbell cam. I liked the "booby cams" with two lenses that can offer downward and forward view but it didnt look like they had 2 way talk. Then I saw some PTZ cams reviewed on here and was thinking that might be a good solution for the front yard, but then I was thinking maybe I should get some sort of floodlight camera instead to replace the floodlight I have on a dusk to dawn sensor that I leave on all night because its right above my driveway... so many choices now I'm totally confused lol

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well at this point I am unfortunately more undecided then ever about what cameras I should purchase lol . I have literally read hours of posts about different cams in here including reviews, setups and troubleshooting etc... kind of a paralysis by analysis situation now. I'm gravitating towards the recommended IPC-HDW5442t-ZE for at least one cam up front but also want a camera for the front door to act as a doorbell cam with 2way talk, but I dont really want a doorbell cam. I liked the "booby cams" with two lenses that can offer downward and forward view but it didnt look like they had 2 way talk. Then I saw some PTZ cams reviewed on here and was thinking that might be a good solution for the front yard, but then I was thinking maybe I should get some sort of floodlight camera instead to replace the floodlight I have on a dusk to dawn sensor that I leave on all night because its right above my driveway... so many choices now I'm totally confused lol
Yes, there's a lot more to learn than most imagine at first.

This is why I think the best is to pick up one decent varifocal and to start playing with it.

In terms of doorbell cameras .. I have yet to see something that I would recommend to most people - still not happy with the options I see out there.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, the booby cam does not have two-way talk.

I have this active deterrence in close proximity (as you will learn it is best to have overlap of cameras) that has two-way IPC-T5241H-AS-PV. I also set it to alarm if someone approaching my house in the middle of the night.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This boobie cam has two way talk.

dok0619

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I ordered one of the new dual lens turret cams from Andy... I'm picking up some Cat6e cables from work. I wanted to set this up on my old desktop with the BI software... what POE switch would you guys recommend to use for this initial setup? I have a small house and dont expect to eventually have more than 4-5 cams....Thanks...also is there a section on here that has a setup guide for the BI software as well?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I ordered one of the new dual lens turret cams from Andy... I'm picking up some Cat6e cables from work. I wanted to set this up on my old desktop with the BI software... what POE switch would you guys recommend to use for this initial setup? I have a small house and dont expect to eventually have more than 4-5 cams....Thanks...also is there a section on here that has a setup guide for the BI software as well?
The built in help file will walk you through setup.
Any Netgear Pro Safe switch will serve you well.
Keep in mind, only 4-5 cameras are the famous last words. As that usually doesn't pan out. You'll have more. ;)
Buy at least an 8 port switch.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll say it again, in case it was missed -

Three rules
Rule #1 - Cameras multiply like rabbits.
Rule #2 - Cameras are more addictive than drugs.
Rule #3 - You never have enough cameras.

dok0619

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The built in help file will walk you through setup.
Any Netgear Pro Safe switch will serve you well.
Keep in mind, only 4-5 cameras are the famous last words. As that usually doesn't pan out. You'll have more. ;)
Buy at least an 8 port switch.
would you be able to link me to anything specific? I've been looking online and its really confusing. I might want at least one PTZ cam in this setup as well... I dont need managed switch just regular, but looking on Amazon at some of these and seeing a lot of complaints about them not having enough power for all the cams attached....

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
would you be able to link me to anything specific? I've been looking online and its really confusing. I might want at least one PTZ cam in this setup as well... I dont need managed switch just regular, but looking on Amazon at some of these and seeing a lot of complaints about them not having enough power for all the cams attached....

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.