Newbie Questions

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yea that should be bright enough to capture motion on the driveway, so I bet it is the other items I mentioned.

mike32162

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yea that should be bright enough to capture motion on the driveway, so I bet it is the other items I mentioned.
Where is the motion detection for substreams? I only see it for the main stream

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When you have substreams enabled then by default the motion settings for the zones switch to substream for the image to create zones on. So depending on how you had it set up for mainstream, you may need to redo for substreams.

mike32162

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When you have substreams enabled then by default the motion settings for the zones switch to substream for the image to create zones on. So depending on how you had it set up for mainstream, you may need to redo for substreams.
I had no zones set yet. It just took whatever it was defaulted to.
Same problem with an inside camera. Turn the lights off, it doesn't trigger, but worked before.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did you make the changes switching to simple algorithm and unchecking the "move X number of pixels" and "reset on X%" boxes?

mike32162

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did you make the changes switching to simple algorithm and unchecking the "move X number of pixels" and "reset on X%" boxes?
It works haphazardly. Changed it on 3 cams, the driveway triggered once, 5 minutes later it didn't. The front door triggered, then walked to the driveway and it didn't trigger. The third (an inside room) won't trigger at all unless I turn the sensitivity way down.

Attachments

mike32162

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It works haphazardly. Changed it on 3 cams, the driveway triggered once, 5 minutes later it didn't. The front door triggered, then walked to the driveway and it didn't trigger. The third (an inside room) won't trigger at all unless I turn the sensitivity way down.
Also, the sound is gone. That was working before I did the wiki stuff.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unchecked the reset at 67% box. That is used to eliminate false triggers and you have the opposite going on.

Drop the contrast way down. At night most of mine are teens or low 20s.

Most of us create a day profile and a night profile so that we can tailor the settings to the available light.

In the camera GUI did you match iframes and FPS? Look in the BI camera status page and the KEY number should be 1.00

mike32162

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Unchecked the reset at 67% box. That is used to eliminate false triggers and you have the opposite going on.

Drop the contrast way down. At night most of mine are teens or low 20s.

Most of us create a day profile and a night profile so that we can tailor the settings to the available light.

In the camera GUI did you match iframes and FPS? Look in the BI camera status page and the KEY number should be 1.00
Did all of that, I'm getting somewhere so I can tweak from here.
Any idea on audio? It worked before, but that was all under default settings, including not recording straight to disk.
Thanks again for the help.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would try the find/inspect again.

mike32162

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would try the find/inspect again.
That worked. It must not have liked me adding it via a copy and changing the ipaddress although all the fields were the same.
I've used all three of the cameras you recommended. Do you know if 2-way audio is supported? For example, this one (where I would want it most):

& thanks for the camera recommendations early on. I tested out the one above in various spots, and where I did not need to make adjustments and could get away with either 2.8 or 3.6, went with a few of those to save some $$$.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

mike32162

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm not really gung-ho on moving the front door elsewhere. Might just get a video doorbell with 2-way capability on that. After researching that topic, I'm shocked to learn Reolink gets high marks for it. For S&G, I did try the CX410 because it was on sale for prime day for $79. Exactly as you said. It would work for still photography, but not surveillance. Sent that thing back. My favs are the 4MP vari & both fixed variants. I used the 2MP that I ordered to test out anyway in a place for duplicate coverage. A great camera, and would have been compelled to use it all around if all I compared it to was the reolink POS and old analogue system, but after seeing the others, those are what I went for for the bulk of the install.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, that is the one thing Reolink has done right is make a decent POE doorbell.

Two-way audio is more gimmicky than reality. It is much more like a walkie-talkie push button and talk and release button type action and it can have a several second lag.

Certainly not the best to have a conversation - more like yelling "get the f off my lawn" LOL.

A doorbell camera is a much better choice to have a conversation like experience.

mike32162

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Getting there...
I also went back to all the feeds and used recommended stream settings (some had bit rate too low), made a nice difference and not much of an effect on system stats.
Push notifications are a little slow. Turned off battery optimization, a little better.
The big question --
I added codeproject to get rid of the false alarms & identify people, vehicles, etc... That worked well, however my CPU usage and spikes are now unacceptable & push notifications slower.
Will an Nvidia GPU card help out? 1030, 1655, something else?

Last edited:

mike32162

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Getting there...
I also went back to all the feeds and used recommended stream settings (some had bit rate too low), made a nice difference and not much of an effect on system stats.
Push notifications are a little slow. Turned off battery optimization, a little better.
The big question --
I added codeproject to get rid of the false alarms & identify people, vehicles, etc... That worked well, however my CPU usage and spikes are now unacceptable & push notifications slower.
Will an Nvidia GPU card help out? 1030, 1655, something else?
Part of the issue seems to be the adjustments I made to the night settings. Without CP, phone is blowing up with alerts (it's windy here today). However, that's not spiking my CPU. I gather with CP enabled, it has to process all of them simultaneously, continuously. So I'm guessing step 1 is finding the balance to stop constant alerts due to wind and still working at night.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Two of the 3 cameras I recommended has built in AI and that might be sufficient for your needs and not use BI motion?

GETTING CAMERA TRIGGERS INTO BI

To use the camera AI, then set up the IVS rules within the camera and let it do its thing!

Go into the camera and set up smart plan with IVS, then go to the IVS screen and draw IVS rules (tripwire or intrusion box) and then select the AI you want it to trigger on (human or vehicle).

Then in BI, there are a few places you need to set this up in BI (assuming you already set up the IVS rules in the camera GUI):

In Camera configure setting check the box "Get ONVIF triggers".

Hit Find/Inspect on the camera setting to pull the coding for the triggers.

Go into Motion Setting and select the "Cameras digital input" box.

You can turn off BI motion.

On the Alerts tab uncheck the Motions Zones tab (those are alerting you to any BI motion in those areas in Zones A thru H)

On the alerts tab set up how to be notified.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Regarding Dahua IVS, whether to use BI AI is up to you, but of course, the AI in the camera may be more than sufficient for your needs without needing BI AI. Do you need the orange box around every object? Do you want to identify animals or logos? Or is just human or vehicle sufficient.

The camera AI is useful to many people, but BI has way more motion setting granularity than the cameras, and some people need that additional detail, especially if wanting AI for more than a car or person. For folks that want AI and alerts on animals or specifically a UPS truck then they need the additional AI.

There isn't really a best practice because every field of view is different and use case and needs are different.

To many here, BI motion without AI is more than adequate for what they do.

To many here, camera AI is more than adequate for what they do.

To many here, using the BI AI adds additional functionality that the above alone can not do.

It comes down to testing with each field of view and which one gives you the most consistent results.

While some of that third party stuff is cool like tagging was it a dog or a bear, I don't need all that fancy stuff. If my camera triggers BI to tag an alert for human or vehicle and BI can accomplish what I need by way of a text or email or push or whatever, that is sufficient for my needs. I just want to be alerted if a person or vehicle is on my property and the camera AI does a fine job with that.

However, I do run BI AI on one camera so that it knocks out headlight shine so that the alert image includes the vehicle. The camera AI will trigger for a car, but the alert image was always just the headlights.

The true test....I have found the AI of the cameras to work even in a freakin blizzard....imagine how much the CPU would be maxing out sending all the snow pictures for analysis to CodeProject LOL. My non-AI cams in BI were triggering all night. This picture was ran through Deepstack (without the IVS or red lines on it) and it failed to recognize a person in the picture, but the camera AI did. This pic says it all and the video had the red box over it even in complete white out on the screen:

1679354257954.png

See this thread on how using just Dahua AI may be sufficient for your needs:

Who uses Dahua AI capable cameras? Reliable AI for triggering events? Pro's/con's?

mike32162

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Two of the 3 cameras I recommended has built in AI and that might be sufficient for your needs and not use BI motion?

GETTING CAMERA TRIGGERS INTO BI

To use the camera AI, then set up the IVS rules within the camera and let it do its thing!

Go into the camera and set up smart plan with IVS, then go to the IVS screen and draw IVS rules (tripwire or intrusion box) and then select the AI you want it to trigger on (human or vehicle).

Then in BI, there are a few places you need to set this up in BI (assuming you already set up the IVS rules in the camera GUI):

In Camera configure setting check the box "Get ONVIF triggers".

Hit Find/Inspect on the camera setting to pull the coding for the triggers.

Go into Motion Setting and select the "Cameras digital input" box.

You can turn off BI motion.

On the Alerts tab uncheck the Motions Zones tab (those are alerting you to any BI motion in those areas in Zones A thru H)

On the alerts tab set up how to be notified.
Thanks!
This makes a heck of a lot more sense -- Have the workload done by individual cameras instead of the server.
I actually thought of it, tried to figure it out, and gave up. Was missing a few steps and the detail you provided made it clear and simple.

As for AI, I may still want to use it for package left at door, etc... but can set it up for one or two cameras instead of all of them. Maybe 1 more, if my parents ever have a problem with a neighbor's dog s***ting on the lawn, but for now I don't need it.

Now I have to figure out how to have the Push notification say Person (or Vehicle) instead of ONVIF-RuleEngine/...."

mike32162

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Regarding Dahua IVS, whether to use BI AI is up to you, but of course, the AI in the camera may be more than sufficient for your needs without needing BI AI. Do you need the orange box around every object? Do you want to identify animals or logos? Or is just human or vehicle sufficient.

The camera AI is useful to many people, but BI has way more motion setting granularity than the cameras, and some people need that additional detail, especially if wanting AI for more than a car or person. For folks that want AI and alerts on animals or specifically a UPS truck then they need the additional AI.

There isn't really a best practice because every field of view is different and use case and needs are different.

To many here, BI motion without AI is more than adequate for what they do.

To many here, camera AI is more than adequate for what they do.

To many here, using the BI AI adds additional functionality that the above alone can not do.

It comes down to testing with each field of view and which one gives you the most consistent results.

While some of that third party stuff is cool like tagging was it a dog or a bear, I don't need all that fancy stuff. If my camera triggers BI to tag an alert for human or vehicle and BI can accomplish what I need by way of a text or email or push or whatever, that is sufficient for my needs. I just want to be alerted if a person or vehicle is on my property and the camera AI does a fine job with that.

However, I do run BI AI on one camera so that it knocks out headlight shine so that the alert image includes the vehicle. The camera AI will trigger for a car, but the alert image was always just the headlights.

The true test....I have found the AI of the cameras to work even in a freakin blizzard....imagine how much the CPU would be maxing out sending all the snow pictures for analysis to CodeProject LOL. My non-AI cams in BI were triggering all night. This picture was ran through Deepstack (without the IVS or red lines on it) and it failed to recognize a person in the picture, but the camera AI did. This pic says it all and the video had the red box over it even in complete white out on the screen:

1679354257954.png

See this thread on how using just Dahua AI may be sufficient for your needs:

Who uses Dahua AI capable cameras? Reliable AI for triggering events? Pro's/con's?
spoke to soon.
One of them is constantly is triggering. I made sure all the settings were correct, SMD enabled for humans, tripwires, etc... Even deleted the camera in BI and added it back making sure there is no BI motion enabled. Somehow the ONVIF is passing motion detection without detecting it's human. All I have in IVS are 4 trip wires. I've turned all of them off and left 1 tiny one, still firing. Same camera as the other 2 I setup which are working.