Newbie question about Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE & Lorex LNB8005 4K

quebec

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all this is my first post and I’m a newbie when it comes to IP Cameras. I was about to buy the Lorex LNB8005 and Lorex NVR from Ebay Lorex LNB8005 (POE) (8MP) 4K UHD IP BULLET SECURITY CAMERA NTSC FREE SHIPPING | eBay
NEW Lorex 4K NVR IP 8 Channels 2TB HDD Secure Connect LNR61082T | eBay
Now I understand there might not be a comparison between these cameras but how is the Dahua do popular and one if the most recommended cameras when it’s only 2MP whereas Lorex is 4K and cheaper.
Is the Lorex worth buying? I have a single storey house, at this stage would only like to cover the front and possibly one inside the garage. Please advise. Also need some advice on installation, is it safe and easy to drill a hole in soffit and pull the wire through attic down the wall, though I will need to think of a safe place for NVR where there is power too? What other alternative is there apart from NVT? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll comment that, while I've never used Lorex cameras, I have bought "equivalent" cameras and, recently, a Dahua 5231R-Z. The Dahua out performs the 4K camera I have, hands down, both in picture quality, even with digital zoom, and with night/low light vision. IMHO Dahua has the best price/quality combination, the rest are just wannabees. Yeah, they're a little more expensive, but are well worth the price difference.

I'd steer away from an NVR and say to go with a dedicated PC running Blue Iris. That may sound more complicated, but video systems have a terrible habit of expanding once you find out how handy they can be. BI gives you far more flexibility than any NVR possible can.

If you've never done any wiring, snaking wires through walls and attics, it can be a challenge. Just make sure of where you are drilling, measure from common refereneces TWICE before getting out the drill, and keep some spackle and a putty knife handy. Accidents happen no matter how careful you are.

Whatever you do, don't go with WiFi cameras, too unreliable.

One other comment, have a look at turret style cameras, like the 5231R, for outdoor use. Bugs and spiders just love the IR lighting and with a bullet camera those IR LEDs are all around the lens. With a turret they're off to the side(s).

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Now I understand there might not be a comparison between these cameras but how is the Dahua do popular and one if the most recommended cameras when it’s only 2MP whereas Lorex is 4K and cheaper.
Short answer: you get better "all around" image quality from a camera that has fewer megapixels and a larger image sensor (like the 5231R-Z) than you do from cameras with higher megapixels and a run-of-the-mill image sensor (like the Lorex 4K).

Dahua's Starlight models (the 5231R-Z is one) use the newer, larger Sony STARVIS image sensor. Combined with a fewer megapixels, this image sensor captures more light with every pixel. This results in an image that's significantly better when the lighting is *not* perfect (like when recording outside from dusk to dawn, or in a dark garage). I think that, combined with there being a great vendor on the forum who sells these cameras (@EMPIRETECANDY), is why they've been the #1 goto camera here for awhile now.

FWIW, Hikvision uses the STARVIS sensors in their Ultra-Low Light cameras, too. I haven't seen other brands (like Lorex) start to use them yet, but I'd imagine they're going to hike the prices of those models when they do.

Also remember that part of the 5231R-Z price is because it's a varifocal camera. That means you can electronically zoom in to get the best field-of-view for where you have it mounted. You're not "stuck" with the non-changagable FOV that you get from a camera that has a fixed lens (2.8mm, 3.6mm, etc). If you get a camera w/ a fixed lens that's too wide, you're going to be wasting pixels by recording extra stuff on the edges that you don't need. Converse is that if you get a camera w/ a fixed lens and it's too narrow, you're going to be missing stuff on the edges that you wish you could record. If you feel comfortable going with a fixed lens camera, there is a cheaper non-varifocal version of the 5231 (I think it's the 4231?).

Earlier this year, it was tough for me to make the decision to get the 5231s. I was worried that I'd find that the low-light performance of the 5231 wouldn't offset the fact that it has fewer pixels (and that the day-time image quality would be crappy). I ordered one to see how it went, and it wasn't long before I ended up with six of them. I absolutely love them, but I'm recording 100% outside where there are only streetlights for light after sunset. I wouldn't say they were necessarily a better choice for someone recording in an environment where the light is always great.

All of my cameras are mounted to soffits, with the wires going back through the attic and down a wall. I use PoE (via a PoE switch) so I can get power to them over the same cable that connects them to the network. I started with a Dahua NVR, but at that time they hard a firmware bug (since fixed) that sent me over to running Blue Iris software on a PC. By the time Dahua fixed the bug, I had everything setup in Blue Iris, so I just stayed with that.

quebec

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I now know which camera I’m getting. What is the difference between 5231R-Z & 5231R-ZE? Which one to get? Also, would a Surface Pro 3 with i5 be enough to run Blue Iris with 1 or 2 cameras?

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@quebec The ZE version came out after the Z version. The ZE version has the black face and ePOE (for longer cable run). Click on each link that @looney2ns shared above for all the details. @looney2ns did the review on ZE version and you can see in his pics both cameras side-by-side.

Personally, I don't like the black face. I have the Z version. Both will be excellent options for you.

For Blue Iris, my recommendation is to run it on a desktop PC like a refurbished Dell Optiplex that you can get at a Dell Outlet store. You will find that Surface Pro 3 will not be underwhelming because it has a mobile CPU (fan will turn on and stay on). Plus, you will want to get WD purple drive(s) for your camera recordings. It's not a good idea to continuously record to Surface SSD.

Repurpose your Surface as a remote BI viewer.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is the difference between 5231R-Z & 5231R-ZE?
Like @actran, I don't like the black face of the ZE model. My cameras are mounted on white soffits, and the Z version blends in fairly well -- most people never notice them. I have one black face camera (looks like a ZE), and it makes that camera so blatantly obvious. That may be good in some situations, but not for me.

I think the ZE model has slightly different zoom ranges, but just slightly. Should be in @looney2ns review.

If you just want to kick the tires with Blue Iris, running the demo version on your Surface for a little bit would probably work. Like others have pointed out, it's prob not the best long term plan. A forum member made some great YouTube Blue Iris tutorials here: Blue Iris Video Tutorials

quebec

n3wb
Reaction score
@aristobrat @actran Thanks for the replies. So there is no major advantage of getting the ZE then I mean functionality wise and picture clarity wise? I also noticed someone had issue with focus on the ZE & ended up getting the Z. I need to pick one of the models to start my Ip cam journey.

quebec

n3wb
Reaction score
@aristobrat @actran Thanks for the replies. So there is no major advantage of getting the ZE then I mean functionality wise and picture clarity wise? I also noticed someone had issue with focus on the ZE & ended up getting the Z. I need to pick one of the models to start my Ip cam journey.

Here’s the link to then post where @pls8 had issues with focus on ZE
Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Another reason for a turret versus a bullet -

2mp bullet with IR on. Camera facing, basically, west with a north to northwest wind.

5231R-Z with IR on, same weather conditions. Camera facing almost due north, basically into the wind.

quebec

n3wb
Reaction score

2mp bullet with IR on. Camera facing, basically, west with a north to northwest wind.

5231R-Z with IR on, same weather conditions. Camera facing almost due north, basically into the wind.

@awsum140 So in your opinion should I buy the Z or ZE, I’m very confused between the two.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I only have the Z and suggest you read the reviews here and have a look at the screen caps and videos of each in those threads.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Are you certain that the IR is turned on, in the last pic. It doesn't look like it.
This isn't a bullet vs turret situation, this is an example of disabling the IR in the cam, and mounting separate IR a few feet away from the cam.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Trust me, the IR is on, plus there are two, additional, 11 watt IR illuminators, one on either side of the fence. Cutover didn't happen until after 7:30AM due to the snowstorm.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all this is my first post and I’m a newbie when it comes to IP Cameras. I was about to buy the Lorex LNB8005 and Lorex NVR ...difference between 5231R-Z & 5231R-ZE
Welcome Quebec,

So that Lorex camera and NVR is out of a kit being sold at Costco. Various people are picking that kit up and reselling it as a whole or in parts on ebay.
FYI - Some local Costco B&M have a Lorex / Dahua OEM 4K 6x camera kit and 8 port NVR for $800

It's a decent kit and the value proposition is a very good one when purchased directly from Costco. Naturally, there is some compromises associated with kits - one is that you have less options for the camera type and models which you may prefer.

Note that Lorex has disabled the IVS features compared to the Dahua OEM products.

If you're looking for a low light camera, as others have noted here, the Dahua OEM starlight models are the best value.

Personally I like the 5231R-Z ( older style ) more than the newer style 5231R-ZE as functionally it seems stronger on the face to me from a vandal going at it with a bat or other bashing tool.

Also you can paint the face better to match your home.

The ZE model does give you further distance for the cable ( iirc up to 800M ), however that is normally not an issue for many of us.

Some also pickup the Costco kit for $800 and add 2 starlight cameras to it, others replace the NVR with Blue Iris and a PoE switch. As you can see there are many ways to configure a IP based security camera system. If you can afford to it is often nice to custom assemble your own kit from the better cameras others here have reviewed as well as the better NVR or VMS ( such as Blue Iris on a i5/i7 windows system + PoE switch ).

A lot really will depend on what your functional needs are as well as what you would like to accomplish.