Newbie - please critique my planned setup

Reaction score
I've had an enormous amount of value from this forum and I wondered if any of you could kindly critique my planned camera placement. I include an annotated plan with the 5 cameras I was thinking of installing, as well as the output from the IPVM tool which obviously only allows 4 and so misses out my front drive overview camera (Camera 1).

Rationales as below:
Camera 1 (not on IPVM pic): To give an overview of my front drive. My front drive is rather shallow at c.4m (13ft) long and c.8.5m (28ft) wide. To be mounted c9 feet off the ground on the corner of the left hand side bay window roof. Was thinking of a 2.8mm HDW5541.

Camera 2: Doorbell cam - to cover the front door and part of the driveway. My front door is set back into the house a little so I was planning to mount it ahead of the front door on the porch wall. Was thinking of going for the Ezviz camera which seems to be regarded as the best doorbell option here.

Camera 3: Side passage cam - to cover the large ground floor windows that I have on that side of the house. I was thinking of placing the camera just inside the side gate pointing towards the windows. The total distance of the side of the house is c12m and the windows would be at a distance of c6m from the camera. I was thinking of a 6mm HDW5541 here at about 7 feet off the ground.

Camera 4: To cover an overview of the back of the house (where there are large bifold doors) and the nearest part of the garden. At about 7 feet off the ground. I was thinking of another 2.8mm HDW5541 here.

Camera 5: To cover the back garden which is c100 feet long. To be placed c.8 and a half feet up, above the bifold doors in the centre of the house. I'd buy a varifocal for this so that I can decide post purchase how much of the garden to cover. I was thinking of the HFW-2381 here (bullet).

If anyone has the time to have a brief look at let me know what they think, I'd be enormously grateful.

cams image 1.jpg

CCTV1.jpeg

Kn10

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Domes bring some problems. They can reflect their own IR back onto its dome.
It needs to be cleaned more frequently as the camera can see the dirt.
UV can age the dome plastic over time and make them crack/go cloudy.

For this profile, I think most people here would recommend turrets over domes. The same profile as domes without the problems of domes.

Also, with them being mostly 5MPs, generally the higher MP stuff doesnt see as well at night as the lower MPs. So I guess it depends what
time you feel the "threat" is going to happen.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
USE turret cameras.
Use bigger Camera Sensor size, bigger is general better. The current best size is 1/1.8 on consumer cameras. Sensor Size Chart
More megapixel is not necessarily better.
Good job on the lens sizes.
I would add a camera that points at the package drop point, near to the front door. If the door is recessed with an over hang the camera should be point back at the door.

The current goto cameras:

IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the input, both. Yes I was planning on going for turrets - (I may have incorrectly labelled the cameras I was planning on going for) with the exception of the varifocal bullet in the centre at the back. Good idea on the camera pointing towards the front door.