Newbie needs setup for window, please

camspam

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't know anything about cameras. I want to place a surveillance camera inside of my home, facing outside, through a window. I want it to record but only when I need it to. I'm more concerned about recording in the day. I do not need the camera to work at night. The area I want to record is about 100 feet away. I'm on the 3rd floor and the area needed would be on the ground.

My questions are:

1. Any recommendations on something inexpensive? (inside, daytime, through a window, must record)
2. To face a window, how do you install it? (the ceiling is too high and there is no ledge)

THANK YOU​

camspam

n3wb
Reaction score
What do you want to accomplish? ID faces?
If so, it will be a challenge to do from that height, even with a good camera.
If you just want an overview picture, then this may work for you. 1080P HD High Definition Video Resolution IP Camera Online Shopping| annkesecurity.com
hi looney2ns,
Thanks for the suggestion. What I don't understand is how to hook it up. I need it to face a window so that it records what's happening outside at about 100 feet away. Ideally, it would be able to capture a face, yes. If not, at least the body and hair...? What I'm not understanding is how to set it up. I want it facing a window so where would I place it? Even if I have it screwed against the wall, it needs an arm of some sort to extend out and a way to angle it. Otherwise, it looks like it would sit on a shelf. Also assuming it isn't wireless... prefer that it's not wireless because I heard that wireless generally means a lesser quality on the image.

thank you!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
hi looney2ns,
.. outside at about 100 feet away. Ideally, it would be able to capture a face, yes. If not, at least the body and hair...? W..
Hi campspam,

Your requirements will require a better and thus more expensive camera and as you have guessed having it indoors pointing out the window may cause issues - in particular glare from the window...

you may want to take some time to learn more about this technology and get a better understanding of what maybe possible, thus I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

camspam

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi campspam,

Your requirements will require a better and thus more expensive camera and as you have guessed having it indoors pointing out the window may cause issues - in particular glare from the window...

you may want to take some time to learn more about this technology and get a better understanding of what maybe possible, thus I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.
Thanks for the info. Can you explain how anybody could take the camera you have linked and set it up toward a window? Where is it placed? Right now, I'm more concerned about the placement than anything else. How would anyone place any camera facing a window if it is not on a ledge? How could it extend and angle out?

Hope this makes sense. Thank you

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Table placed in front of window, bracket mounted to wall beside window that extends to middle of window.
Give us a pic of the window, and the surrounding wall.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Can you explain how anybody could take the camera you have linked and set it up toward a window? Where is it placed? Right now, I'm more concerned about the placement than anything else. How would anyone place any camera facing a window if it is not on a ledge? How could it extend and angle out?

Hope this makes sense. Thank you
Duck tape is your friend!

camspam

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm not getting how other people set up cameras facing windows. The only way that makes sense to me is to put it on a ledge. Is the camera you've linked here wireless or not? I heard the image is better if the camera is not wireless. I don't know anything about this so I don't know if that's true.

If it's not too much to ask... Also need to record and was wondering if there's an easy way to record (only when I need it to) without having to have another system to record it. Or do I have to have a separate system, like a player, to record? Would be nice to put a card in and push a button that records for an hour or two... is that a possibility?

thank you!

Tried taking a few more shots and they all show up dark.

Attachments

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you would have read the link to the cam I gave you above, all of your question's would be answered. Turn the lights on in the room, or use flash to take the pictures. The one you provided, doesn't help.

camspam

n3wb
Reaction score
If you would have read the link to the cam I gave you above, all of your question's would be answered. Turn the lights on in the room, or use flash to take the pictures. The one you provided, doesn't help.
I turned the lights on and the pics came out dark; same with flash. It's a window. The window's on a wall. That shouldn't be hard to imagine. Your links have an overwhelming amount of information and when I scroll up and down, I don't see the answers to my question. It also reads like Greek since this is not my expertise.

If there's anyone out there that has a moment to explain how a camera could be set up on the inside of a home, facing outside, through a window -I would appreciate. Thank you

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Image quality is not affected by a wireless connection. Reliability is the reason you don't want a wireless camera. And that is why most good cameras don't even have a wireless option.

Most cameras are designed to be mounted to walls and ceilings. You could mount a camera to the window frame if you don't mind making one or two screw holes. Most dome or turret models would fit even on a shallow window-frame and be able to see out the window, though the camera would stick out into the room and look awkward. Bullet cameras (which tend to have higher zoom levels available) would not be mountable on the window frame because of their shape -- the camera would hit the window long before you had it pointed out in the direction you want.

I would suggest this camera, as it has a long zoom range that should be capable of identifying faces at 100 feet. Dahua Starlight Varifocal Bullet Z12 5.3-64mm (IPC-HFW5231E-Z12) Note that because of the extreme zoom, it will have a very narrow view, so don't expect to capture the entire street or anything but it would work to point at a mailbox or one or two vehicles 100ft away. Also note this camera is a bullet model and therefore you'd need to go to a little more effort to mount it indoors facing out. You could pretty easily craft a little stand for the camera out of a cardboard box, scissors, and duck tape, and set it on the window frame if it is deep enough, or on a table otherwise.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Many cameras have a micro SD card slot and can record directly to the card without an external recording device. That includes the one I linked above.

camspam

n3wb
Reaction score
hi bp,
Thanks for the info. I'm trying to get a price for that camera at Amazon or online at Dahua's site and nothing shows up. Is there a way to screw this one to a ledge?

58chev

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If your are mechanically inclined at all, try to see if the camera can be mounted on a pipe dropped from the ceiling.

I would think it would also have to be as close to the window as possible to minimize glare.

See photo for an example.

Attachments

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Put a shelf across your window. Buy two of these: Everbilt 11.9 in. x 7.9 White Magnum Shelf Bracket-EB-0099-12WT - The Home Depot

Buy one of these at length you require: Rubbermaid 8 in. x 36 in. White Laminate Decorative Shelf-FG4B2800WHT - The Home Depot

With screws, mount a bracket on each side of the window. Lay shelf on bracket. Run screws from bottom of bracket into the bottom of the shelf.

Purchase cam bp suggest's here: Dahua 2MP Full HD WDR Network IR Starlight Bullet Camera IPC HFW5231E Z12,free DHL shipping-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Mount cam to shelf.