(Newbie) How To Get IP Address For Camera

knight2000

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

A few years back I had a company install a 5 Dahua cameras with an NVR at my place. He has a wire for the internet connection into the NVR that bypasses my modem/router- so I'm not sure how to get the IP Addresses for the camera? Since the internet connection for the NVR isn't sourced from the modem/router, I can't use the modem/router's software to find the IP addresses for each camera. Could someone please enlighten me?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You should be able to get the IP addresses from within the GUI of the NVR.

Are the cameras connected to the POE ports of the NVR? If so, they are only accessible by going thru the NVR GUI to get to them or connect the cameras to a POE switch.

To get into the camera GUI from the NVR, you need to first access the NVR GUI by going to a computer and opening up a browser (preferably Internet Explorer but Pale Moon will work as well) and type in the IP address of the NVR and login that way. Next go into the camera settings page on the NVR and look for the Microsoft e Web Browser and select it and it will go to the camera GUI (photo credit bigredfish from his PSA thread). Your screen may look a little different to get into the camera gui and see if doing it this way gets you access to some other features the NVR is blocking - do not worry about the Port number and circle as that was from another issue someone posted.

1696106539794.png

knight2000

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for such a fast detailed reply. In the Dahua software, I can see (like your screenshot) the IP addresses of the cameras. I tried using that internet connection directly into my computer (I have a splitter) and typed those IP addresses into the computer(like the example below), but the browser wouldn't find anything. I don't have a 'web browser' link in my software like your screenshot has.

dahua example.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Slide the slider over and you should be able to get to the "e"

If your computer IP address wasn't 172.16.17.xxx then you won't be able to see the cameras.

knight2000

n3wb
Reaction score
Cool. I tried sliding to the end, but after the device name, I have Remote Manufacturer (which is all 1) and Manufacturer (which all says "Private") . I checked my IP addresses (the picture above was a sample I found online) and all my cameras have an IP address of 10.2.x.x. If there's no security risk of showing my actual screenshots, I'd be happy to upload them. Pardon my ignorance!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, by default a Dahua NVR will assign IP cams to the 10.x.x.x subnet, so if your computer IP address was not on 10.x.x.x then you won't see the cameras.

What browser are you using - you need to use Internet Explorer (yeah we know LOL) or Pale Moon 32-bit. Edge or Chrome with the IE tab may not work and could be why you don't see the "e"

And I didn't think that was your NVR because that looks like a Lorex system LOL (which is made by Dahua).

You can list the private LAN IP addresses as it does not tell anyone anything - they are the same as everyone else. The IP address of your service provider for your WAN is what you don't provide...Everything on the inside past the modem is fine to put out. Everything on the inside, the local LAN will fall under these ranges and you are not telling anyone anything about how to hack your system because these ranges are reserved for the "home side" of the service so every home internally will be within this same range):

10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255

Last edited:

knight2000

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, by default a Dahua NVR will assign IP cams to the 10.x.x.x subnet, so if your computer IP address was not on 10.x.x.x then you won't see the cameras.

What browser are you using - you need to use Internet Explorer (yeah we know LOL) or Pale Moon 32-bit. Edge or Chrome with the IE tab may not work and could be why you don't see the "e"

And I didn't think that was your NVR because that looks like a Lorex system LOL (which is made by Dahua).

You can list the private LAN IP addresses as it does not tell anyone anything - they are the same as everyone else. The IP address of your service provider for your WAN is what you don't provide...Everything on the inside past the modem is fine to put out. Everything on the inside, the local LAN will fall under these ranges and you are not telling anyone anything about how to hack your system because these ranges are reserved for the "home side" of the service so every home internally will be within this same range):

10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255
Thank you for enlightening me with all this good information! Very helpful.
When I hooked up the computer to the same internet connection, I think I used Chrome to find the camera. :oops: I didn't check my computer's IP address either when I used this connection. Maybe I should connect that back up again and check both of those things.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you for such a fast detailed reply. In the Dahua software, I can see (like your screenshot) the IP addresses of the cameras. I tried using that internet connection directly into my computer (I have a splitter) and typed those IP addresses into the computer(like the example below), but the browser wouldn't find anything. I don't have a 'web browser' link in my software like your screenshot has.

View attachment 190575
How are you connecting to your NVR? That looks more like the machine interface you would access via a mouse and monitor?
There should be a web interface you can access the NVR via a web browser on your PC