Newbie DS-2CD2032-I - Please help w/ setup!

adamkpl

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I purchased a DS-2CD2032-I and am struggling with setup. I have a mac only so SADP is not working (tried on my work PC but just hangs). First issue was POE - I bought a cheapo POE adapter where the adapter was outputting 15v/1.2A but the camera was not even lighting up when powered directly to the adapter. I used another adapter outputting 12v/1A and the camera light actually turned on but still no dice connecting to the network 192.0.0.64 or directly with network cable to computer. Can someone help out? Is it possible the camera is not getting enough juice? Thanks in advance.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Your work PC should be locked down to disallow software that requires administrative privileges such as SADP, so not surprising it hangs.

Supplying 15v to a 12v camera may well cause damage. Hopefully it just shut down safely due to overvoltage. Best not to repeat.
12v 1A will be just fine.

What you haven't said is what type of network the devices are connected to. Best not to connect directly, use a switch or router so both ends can be active and not dependant on each other.
Assuming there is a router with DHCP active, first check if the DHCP server has issued an IP address.
If the camera does come up on the default 192.0.0.64 address, your Mac will also need to have an IP address on the same segment, such as 192.0.0.128. What did you use in your testing?
You should be able to see 192.0.0.64 respond to a ping as the camera boots up. Can you set a continuous ping on the Mac to check?
If you get a response from 192.0.0.64 for a few seconds and then nothing, and it does not return, your camera is likely to be configured to a fixed address that you really do need something like SADP or ONVIF Device Manager (Windows tool from sourceforge.net) to find.
Do you have a friend with a PC on a home network?

*edit* If you are connecting your camera to your home network, and it's a common address range, and have an Android phone, you might find the camera address with a scanner such as Fing.

*edit1* Just a thought - check out any response on 192.168.1.64 I have a vague recollection of a change log that suggested the default IP address was going to change away from 192.0.0.64 on some future version of firmware, but I can't be sure. I've not read any posts here to that effect.

Last edited by a moderator:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like you are all mixed up with PoE. The camera can accept PoE from a standards-compliant 802.3af PoE injector or switch. In this case, the power is supplied over the network cable and is typically in the 48-56 volt ballpark. The DC power jack on the camera is unused.

The alternate way to power the camera is through the DC jack, which accepts 12 volts (I would recommand a 1 amp power supply, as a 500mA would be pushing the limits with IR on). It is fairly tolerant in my experience, as my dad once had an employee try to install a 2032 cam and the employee attached the 48 volt power supply from the PoE injector to the camera. The camera didn't boot up and it evidently stayed plugged in that way for weeks. Once we got it set up with the actual PoE injector, the camera came to life as if nothing had ever been wrong.