Newbe Equipment Question

DGP

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm looking at installing a 10-12 camera system, probably 2 MP starlight. I have pretty good skills but am a little concerned with all of the issues I read on this forum related to setup, config, etc. I installed a CVI system on a friends home a couple of years ago and it was easy and has excellent images. But most people on this forum seem to think that CVI is junk and not to install it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. BTW I am a hard headed DYI kind of guy so don't tell me to hire a professional. Budget is about $2500, maybe slightly more.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I installed a 10 camera + NVR dahua system over the last year and a half. Being in a similar situation (pretty good skills and hard headed DIY) I'd say you're correct to be concerned while at the same time saying "go for it". Since I first started, the firmware is a lot less buggy and there are more people on the forum with IP system experience to help identify and fix problems. You already know the joy of fishing cables, and I'd assume the CVI user documentation is at about the same level of uselessness as the IP documentation. If you don't already have it, you'll need to learn some networking basics and spend maybe $100 on tools and parts for making the cat-whatever connections. The things that go wrong get a lot more forum time than the things that go right. The big picture is that each box that looks like a camera is actually a computer on your network that transmits digitized video. You can log on to each one of these computers individually to adjust settings and view status.

DGP

n3wb
Reaction score
I installed a 10 camera + NVR dahua system over the last year and a half. Being in a similar situation (pretty good skills and hard headed DIY) I'd say you're correct to be concerned while at the same time saying "go for it". Since I first started, the firmware is a lot less buggy and there are more people on the forum with IP system experience to help identify and fix problems. You already know the joy of fishing cables, and I'd assume the CVI user documentation is at about the same level of uselessness as the IP documentation. If you don't already have it, you'll need to learn some networking basics and spend maybe $100 on tools and parts for making the cat-whatever connections. The things that go wrong get a lot more forum time than the things that go right. The big picture is that each box that looks like a camera is actually a computer on your network that transmits digitized video. You can log on to each one of these computers individually to adjust settings and view status.
Thanks tigerwillow. Did you go with Poe nvr or separate switch?

trucams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am in the process of a 9 camera setup as well. Hardware is all installed. Now it is learning and tweaking the NVR settings. I opted for a non-poe NVR and a poe+switch. Was able to run cam wires to the switch rather than the NVR giving me the ability to relocate the NVR if I choose without having to move the cam wires too. Camera access is via IP address seemed less confusing versus access when connected to a poe NVR. I also opted for EMT conduit and junction boxes to mount the cameras, rather than to the wall. It does make them a little more noticeable but will provide ability to swap cams or even junction boxes later, should I want to. Will paint to blend in once weather turns better. Had zero experience. Using info from IPCT and DIY knowledge, installed system to include adding an OpenVPN router as repeatedly “suggested”. It can be done. Told my wife I was feeling overwhelmed at the beginning. After getting the first cam up and connected, I was over the hurdle. Keep reading suggestions. Write down thread titles you find something in. Searching sometimes works and sometimes ends up frustrating knowing you read it previously but can’t find it. Great info in stickies and some folks signatures to help you along.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I went with an external POE switch originally to have less money tied up in one component. If the NVR or the switch fails, or if I want to upgrade, the financial damage is less. Since then I learned that the non-POE NVR has much less fan noise, and it's easier to log on directly to the cameras. The downside of the separate switch is that you have to do some network management, where with the POE NVR it's pretty much plug-and-play. There are a lot of external switch options. I went for a used 28 port Cisco POE managed business switch. There are a lot of good deals out there for used business equipment. If you go this way, I'd advise looking for a newer "green" model, as some of the older ones are real power hogs. The fans on the switch were horribly loud and I replaced them. If noise is an issue, there are some fanless POE switches, maximum 8 ports each, I believe.