New Video Surveillance System - Suggestions and input wanted

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
check out the links I added above, this is the cable I use: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10234&cs_id=1023403&p_id=9482&seq=1&format=2

You can get the same stuff without the internal separator for like half the price; but I got an unused box off craigslist from a former Cable installer for like $80 and ive been using it for years now.. Might check out local classifieds before buying 1k ft spool; you might find someone who has dozens of partial-spools they have acquired over the years.

eyeball

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@kcenter - you probably have this covered already, but don't forget about system backup - I use Macrium Reflect (done many successful restores with it & have confidence in the product), but there are many other programs and methods available. It's always interesting to me how this very important element of a critical system gets overlooked.

Last edited by a moderator:

kcenter

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been making my own cables for the last several years, and even wired about 1/3 of my house with cat5e, and when I was doing that I was getting pretty good a making the cables. But I haven't made many in the last 2 years, and I tried a few months ago and it took me almost a dozen tries to get everything right... way out of practice. That's why I bought those EZ-RJ45.

@eyeball - I didn't think about a system backup... thanks for mentioning that.

@nayr - check on craigslist but didn't see anything that looked very tempting, but thanks for the idea. Also wondering when you are running ethernet for cameras do you need shielded or is unshielded just fine?

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Shielded would be if you are running in close proximity to some heavy duty equipment that produces electromagnetic interference and/or run right along lots of high voltage.

Unshielded (UTP) should be just fine (and cheaper) for residential and IP cam. They have some noise resistance and the camera bandwidth is only a small fraction of line capacity.

Personally, I've been using cat6 solid riser for my network upgrades and camera stuff. I do keep physical separation from other power lines and equipment, except maybe crossing over some lines as needed and the final in wall segment.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Unshielded cable is fine for most cameras.

Some installs require running the cable near powerful electric lines though, where shielded cables can be beneficial. This summer I installed a UniFi hotspot in a mechanics shop and when I ran the unshielded cable near the breaker box the UniFi wasn't able to communicate via its wired interface. Had to move the cable a few feet away.

Further, some devices are extremely sensitive to electrostatic discharge, and typical shielded cable provides a ground connection between the metal-coated RJ45 plugs. Ubiquiti makes a big deal of this, going as far as to say that using shielded ethernet cable and earth grounding are conditions of product warranty. In a different case, I had a Stardot 5MP box camera running on PoE. The slightest static shock from fingertips to the camera casing would cause it to reboot unless it was connected to a grounded outlet through a shielded cable and PoE injector with a 3 prong plug!

So as a general rule I try to use shielded cable for all outdoor cameras, even those that have all-plastic/ungrounded RJ45 jacks. Shielded cable isn't all that much more expensive than unshielded, and it provides peace of mind if nothing else :)

kcenter

n3wb
Reaction score
The majority of my business is a copy shop with most if the copiers having 240v running to them. I'm thinking I will order shielded cat5e for the piece of mind. Or should I go with cat6? I know the cameras don't really need the bandwidth so is cat6 worth it?

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Right, Certainly shielded does give peace of mind. But would the 220v lines and camera lines follow the same line path?

I kind of envision that the copiers are on the floor and their power runs along low in the wall, surface mounted along the baseboard ... rather than up, over and back down the walls. Guess it depends on the layout etc, but anyhow. Copiers on the floor and cameras on the ceiling inside and outside either under soffits or through the wall, would be more than plenty of separation. Or is the concern that the NVR POE stuff would be in the mechanical room and the only way out of that electrical room is next to the high voltage equipment lines?

From a bandwidth standpoint you don't need fancy cable. Each camera will be 500KB/s - 1MB/s ( possibly 2 on the highest end) depending on nr of megapixels, stream and compression settings, etc.

It is about carrying the low voltage power over ethernet to the camera, where solid comes in, better electrical qualities, less resistance, ...

Speaking of ceilings. Do you have fluorescent lighting? Besides stuff with motors, AC, microwave, printers ... those can be pretty noisy too.

kcenter

n3wb
Reaction score
I do have fluorescent lighting and some of the 240v lines run along the ceiling through conduit until they drop down for the power plug. They where added after the building was built. For all my cameras out front I have to cross about 7ft above the 2 breaker boxes and there are quite a few electrical lines the come out the top and run along the top of the wall.

So for the PoE you recommend solid wire (which is what I normally use) and cat6?
Looking at he price of shielded I'm not sure how necessary it is.
I'm leaning towards something like this:
Cable Matters In-Wall Rated (CM) Cat6 Ethernet Cable in Yellow 1000 Feet

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not a bad basic cat6 cable, but not the best value. Monoprice 1000ft cat6 beats that handily, even CMR type (higher rating than CM), even when purchased through amazon with prime ... which can be a bit cheaper than monoprice expedited shipping. Been there done that for a few spools. ;)

kcenter

n3wb
Reaction score
Good point. Saves me about $20/box to order Monoprice brand through Amazon. After your count in shipping its only about $4 more per box to order via Amazon prime then Monoprice :D. Think I will get two boxes of this stuff then: Monoprice 1000-Feet 23 AWG Cat6 500Mhz UTP CMR Solid Bulk Bare Copper Ethernet Cable - Yellow

I figure the Yellow will stand out well against all the blue cables I have now so I don't get them confused with the data cables all over the building.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Those CMRs are the kind I have been using in different colors for different ip segments. Certainly doesn't hurt anything to use different colors, it can only make possible future identification, upgrades, troubleshooting ... easier.

I think you can always start with a couple long lines going past your potential trouble spots to see if you have interference. If no trouble. Good to go. If trouble. Time to rethink separation and/or shielding.

Shipping can bite as these boxes are not light. Plus depending on one's location relative to California, basic shipping can seem slow. Anyhow

Two small practical negatives:

- the box has only one handle, if you pick it up as such and carry it a few times, the cardboard handle will tear out. I have no idea why monoprice still hasn't fixed that design to have two handles instead of one for a relatively heavy box and added bit more cardboard in the folding design to add support near the handle. It's not like one goes through multiple of these every single day and only needs to use them from a single spot.

- the box needs to be vertical (hole up facing ceiling) to feed out and it is not always entirely snag free. Sometimes there's been a few tighter loops in line ... so don't just continue to pull and yank harder from a distance and create a tight bend.

So use a bit of caution while carrying and feeding out.