New type of spammer MO

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There were a rash of recent spam posts that appeared to be legit. The MO of the spammer was to post a legitimate camera or dashcam related question. The question is taken from internet forums and reposted and therefore it reads like a native English speaker wrote it. Several hours to a day later, the spammer returns and edits his post inserting spam links. Our spam software detected some of these posts.
If you see this please report it.
Thanks

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There were a rash of recent spam posts that appeared to be legit. The MO of the spammer was to post a legitimate camera or dashcam related question. The question is taken from internet forums and reposted and therefore it reads like a native English speaker wrote it. Several hours to a day later, the spammer returns and edits his post inserting spam links. Our spam software detected some of these posts.
If you see this please report it.
Thanks
Can there be a new user timed edit limit like in PM or a probation period? Just thinking of a deterrent.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a feeling this is one

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can there be a new user timed edit limit like in PM or a probation period? Just thinking of a deterrent.
XenForo forum software (This) allows for such action.

2 settings from memory, one is for privilege to edit and second is privilege to edit unlimited/lifetime or for 'x' min/hour/days/years.
I'm not an admin of a XenForo forum so this is all I know from when I spoke to someone who is.