New to the world of CCTV, hello from the UK! Building first system.

BogEyes

n3wb
Reaction score
Looks like a great forum, been lurking for a little while and have finally pulled the trigger on a few bits and getting started.

I initially purchased a Reolink setup from the rainforest but returned it after going down the rabbit hole.

I'm now going the Blue Iris route and have purchased an i7 7700 based Dell Office SFF. I have a 3TB WD purple to go in it.

I have opted for some Hikvision Acusense camaras, what a nightmare in the UK to purchase, trade only?

Need to figure out what POE switch would be suitable as I have no experience of these. Oh and some cable.

Then it will be a case of attempting to get it working, failing, and making another post on here :D!

cm.

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Why hikvision acusense? Not a bad camera just wondering what you want out of those specifically.

BogEyes

n3wb
Reaction score
So I suppose it was the result of realising that the Reolink 520A Dome cams had poor night vision, and then after doing some (but not LOADS of) research trying to find a camera with a bigger aperture and sensor.

I opted to try the 4MP DS-2CD2347G2-LU Colorvu, as it has a F1.0 aperture and a 1/1.8″ sensor.

TBH it's a bit overwhelming, but I'm more comfortable with this route as I can switch/sell cameras if they don't work rather than being tied to a platform had I gone the reolink route.

Also, I'd be lying if I didn't credit 'The Hook Up' channel on youtube as being a factor for opting specifically for the Acusense/ColurVu camera. The video on using a substream and a main stream to utilise the AI (acusense?) peaked my interest.

cm.

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
just let BI do all the AI detection rather than the camera. Easier to update/configure at a single source. That way you are not locked in to a particular camera just for the AI capability.

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
just let BI do all the AI detection rather than the camera. Easier to updsfe/configure at a sibgle source. That way you are not locked in to a particular camera just for the AI capability.
Unless you want more than car and person my Dahua 5442 cams IVS does an excellent job of identification day or night.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
.,.and 4kx / 4kt (OEM Dahua from Andy on here) are the equivalent of the Hik Colorvu and some say a bit better at night. 5224 is the ultimate colour camera at night in a reasonable price range, but if you want higher res, the 4kx / t trade off only a litle night time performance for a higher resolution picture. You do lose IR and thus B&W nightime as an option with the 4k series.