New to IP cameras, new system recommedations...

amorillo

n3wb
Reaction score
hello everyone, I just finished the home automation side of my home, now moving to the next step, installing a camera system..I consider myself tech savvy , but havent dealt much with camera systems.. I already have a server cabinet with a unifi poe switch and a windows pc running blue iris. now i need to choose the cameras to purchase , I have read positive things about the dahua starlight cameras, but are two megapixels enough, or should I get higher quality?? i would like to be able to identity fases and possible plates of vehicles if parked by the driveway..

I want to begin with the camera by the front door, I also have a ring pro doorbell already installed, I want to something small, I am possibly looking at the dahua dual starlight or the single, IPC-HDBW4231F-E2-M/M12 . any suggestions would be welcomed...

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I re-emphasize the answer provided to you by @looney2ns back on Jan. 19 here regarding your quest for cameras. It has what you ask for.

Don't get wrapped up in more megapixels.....they generally have poorer low-light performance than the 2MP, especially the Dahua "Starlight" or the IPCT 2 MP Starlight IR Fixed Turret Network Camera, 2.8mm, Powered by Night Eye

The real question regarding any camera you choose for that application at the front door is if the 2.8mm lens will provide the FOV you desire / need? An advantage of the varifocal lens is being able to adjust it from 2.7 to 12mm to achieve the desired FOV then leave it (it's not meant to be zoomed in/out a lot like a PTZ). And the turret style is less likely to have issues with spider webs as do bullets and also have no fogging/glare issues that domes can have under certain climatic conditions.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
hello everyone, I just finished the home automation side of my home, now moving to the next step, installing a camera system..I consider myself tech savvy , but havent dealt much with camera systems.. I already have a server cabinet with a unifi poe switch and a windows pc running blue iris. now i need to choose the cameras to purchase , I have read positive things about the dahua starlight cameras, but are two megapixels enough, or should I get higher quality?? i would like to be able to identity fases and possible plates of vehicles if parked by the driveway..

I want to begin with the camera by the front door, I also have a ring pro doorbell already installed, I want to something small, I am possibly looking at the dahua dual starlight or the single, IPC-HDBW4231F-E2-M/M12 . any suggestions would be welcomed...
Hi @amorillo

The dual lens IPC-HDBW4231F-E2-M/M12 is one of my top considerations for the front door at eye level when the package drop area is below - have one lens watch the package drop off area, and have the other lens pointing straight at anyone standing at the door.