New to IP Camera Installs. Can you answer some questions

Myk

n3wb
Reaction score
Morning,

I have recently bought a house and I am looking to install some CCTV to cover a couple of areas on the outside of the property.

First off I work in IT and know the ins and outs of computers however my experience with any cameras in the past has been with Webcams for conferences or IP cameras for large meeting rooms connected into Cisco Movi.

I have recently relocated my Internet connection into my loft space where I have installed my Router, Small Switch (to be upgraded) and my HP Nas. MY HP Nas runs on Windows 7 Pro and is loaded with 8TB of storage. It houses my Media Center collection as well as personal Files. I also have planned a second Nas to act as a backup for the first.

So question is this. I am looking to get a POE 1gb switch to drive my internal network and I am looking at 2 IP cameras at first with the addition of a 3rd or 4th at a late stage. Both cameras will be mounted on the Eves of the house one at the front to cover the front door, car in the drive and the garage door. While the other will cover the rear of the property, garden and back door.

I am planning to run the Network cables internally in the loft space and drop these out of the eves and into the cameras. Hence the reason for POE as it saves running dual cables.

I am looking at these cameras http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/swann-nhd-806-pk2-720p-day-and-night-outdoor-bullet-camera-2-pack-a43rk

Firstly are all IP Cameras compatible with software such as Blue Iris?
Secondly is Blue Iris a good option for software that has mobile access when out the house?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Mike

Myk

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Colmcille.

I just picked those Swann cameras as I was in Maplin for some connectors and I noticed them on a demo. Thought they looked pretty clear.

After typing this message I got an auto email from Amazon as I was looking at IP cameras and they suggested these http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00I3GKMC4/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=desktop-2&pf_rd_r=1D3WE6HBHH00381GXTS4&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=577049067&pf_rd_i=desktop

Would either the Dome or the Bullet be a good option OR better to go for the HIKVISION's

When you say over view cameras would I not be able to use the digital zoom and focus on the area or would this not offer much clarity?

Would I be better to position the cameras lower down the house on the boards around the Garage?

Sorry for all the questions

Myk

n3wb
Reaction score
Perfect thanks for the further input.

I think I might does you suggested and fit the two cameras under the soffit just under the gutter line. High enough to get an overview of the area.

I can fit another camera under the gutter just above the garage, about 7ft off the ground. This would allow me to aim the camera directly at the car, garage door, front door and front window. It should also cover anyone going around the rear of the property. I only have one side to the house, well unless someone tackles the 7 foot fence at the rear and jumps through my neighbours properties.

At least this is a starting point.

mike