New to camera systems

Reaction score
This is all new to me obviously why Im here. Im looking for an outdoor camera or 2 that can half way make out vehicle details or license plates from a distance of 150ft. My house sits on a corner and there's a stop sign. My ex wife may try to stalk my home when Im with or without our kids so I need something to counter her if she trys to go for another baseless PO next year. But the system would be good for when I work 3rd shift.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
How much lighting do you have?
Is the stop sign in front of your house or on the other side of the road?
Are you wanting to monitor both roads that make the intersection?
Are your concerns to only monitor for her car to drive by?
Would a good, detailed image of her car be sufficient or would you require there be license plate capture?
Do you want to see when/if she enters the yard or approaches the door(s)?
What is your budget?

Reaction score
View from my living room. There is a porch light that faces the street though I would mount the first camera there for l greatest field of view. The sign by my home would be the "choke point" if she comes around. As I could see her coming or going. The farthest stop sign has a streetlight. My budget is open but would be looking to stay more in the 600 to 1500 if possible. I highly doubt she would be that gutsy to walk into my yard but if so the second camera would face the road going to the left out of view due to my car which would sit fine on the corner of the garage.16861427031168561217873374837995.jpg

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is all new to me obviously why Im here. Im looking for an outdoor camera or 2 that can half way make out vehicle details or license plates from a distance of 150ft. My house sits on a corner and there's a stop sign. My ex wife may try to stalk my home when Im with or without our kids so I need something to counter her if she trys to go for another baseless PO next year. But the system would be good for when I work 3rd shift.
Welcome @1775usmarine

remember if you need to see license plates at night, that will require tuning of the camera and it will just be able to capture the license plate ( due to the reflective nature of most plates ).

See the LPR section for that if you are interested in night time license plate image capture

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I have 2 of the IPC_B5442E-Z4E cameras from the Dahua OEM vendor here. His Amazon storefront sells them. This car is about 100 feet( give or take 10 feet).
As you see, if tasked with 1 Job at night, ( plates) it will not give you much else to go on. So a 2nd cam would help gather evidence as to Car color,make,etc....and probably with Audio as that adds to the evidence.

1686156796807.png
1686156853037.png

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
This model camera, also shows the same car, but it's main job is not the street. It's focused on the driveway. I think a 5442-Turret with Zoom the 5442-ZE would be a better choice for this location in my situation.
1686157227087.png

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Here is a less expensive camera (the 2231. 4 megapixel) capturing an idiot who claims I didn't salt the driveway and the car slid into the rock....(How about I was fucking with my Phone and not paying attention) .the cam at this location it has street lamps to aid in identifying, Ultimately this was replaced with a 5442 2.8mm turret model.

Attachments

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Heres an overview cam and a Plate cam working together to give me usable footage to turn over to the Ramsey County Sheriff's upload page. Previously when Asshats came onto the property and did shit, Ramsey Cty wouldn't come out or give a Case# if I didn't have some usable evidence of a crime.
1686158659726.png
1686158679313.png

Reaction score
What are the thoughts on reolink tilt and pan cams? I would do one stationary in the front that would stay zoomed to the intersectionand pan and tilt on the garage.

Reaction score
That and cover my butt. I get them on my weekends off. She does have stickers on the back window so doesn't have to be super crystal clear but I do appreciate all the suggestions and advice so far lots to process.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That and cover my butt. I get them on my weekends off. She does have stickers on the back window so doesn't have to be super crystal clear but I do appreciate all the suggestions and advice so far lots to process.
You want a good enough capture that would hold up in court.
If the capture is iffy, then a defense attorney will latch onto that and create doubt.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
@looney2ns Used to tell us, " buy once cry once" rather than then buying inferior product and having to do the job over again.
They were certainly right about that in my case.