New to BI, can't get Push or Email Alerts?

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So been at this a few hours now working on a single camera before I move over other cams. I've gone through several of the BI guides to set up triggers based on motion and using zones. Can see the motion being detected. In the Alerts tab, all trigger sources and zones are checked, and I've tested that the gmail server works fine (received an email early on when I set it up).

But while it places an alert in the continuous video screen that I can click on and see what caused the trigger, I am getting nothing via push to my android phone's BI app, nor am I getting any emails on the alert. For the life of me I can't seem to figure it out after watching a few tutorials. I must have something off in the attached?

Attachments

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
what is your email service ?
Some services do not work or block the traffic. I can not get GMAIL or my personal 1and1 email address to work.

the recipient is a email address.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks, it is gmail. Weird thing is it appears to test fine.

SMS doesn't want to work either.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I am getting nothing via push to my android phone's BI app
1. Are your mobile devices checked for push?

1592178857046.jpeg

2. Just a thought. Can you get an email or sms if you uncheck all images/attachments options?

Kn10

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Gmail SMTP has a few quirks. It worked for first time for me then starts blocking you. Run the test again.
You will need to set it up with an "Application specific password" for Blue Iris. This allows "less secure apps" to login and also to get around 2FA.
You'll also need to login to the gmail account with a browser and possibly press "It was me" to the suspicious login.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah, that's how I got it to "pass the test" the first time around.

I'm also not getting anything via SMS either though. So not sure what is going on.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
1. Are your mobile devices checked for push?

View attachment 63882

2. Just a thought. Can you get an email or sms if you uncheck all images/attachments options?
Yeah. Assume it pushes to the BI app on my phone? Is there a setting on my Android phone I need to maybe enable?

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Is there a setting on my Android phone I need to maybe enable?
Settings > Apps > Blue Iris > Notifications should show ‘allowed’, and ‘on’ for the desired options.

If this isn’t the issue, you could try deleting the phone from from Blue Iris, then log back in via the Android app. This should re-sync the phone, and perhaps get push working.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's how I got it to "pass the test" the first time around.

I'm also not getting anything via SMS either though. So not sure what is going on.
sms is sent via email. So if gmail is not working, you wont get sms.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
sms is sent via email. So if gmail is not working, you wont get sms.
Got it.

Gmail is definitely working, tried it again with a test and it comes through via email just fine.

Wonder if it is a setting somewhere. Basic question...if I don't have Schedule enabled and am recording 24/7 with motion sensor on, presumably it's just "Active" from a motion sensing perspective?

Thanks @jaydeel, I think the phone trigger/notification is working after deleting the phone and reinstalling. Just clicked on "Trigger" in the live view mode and an alert came through. Now to figure out the email/SMS piece.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks will have a look. Looking at my motion settings, anything that jumps off the page as off?

BI Motion Sensor.PNGBI Object Detection.PNGBI Zone A.PNGBI Zone B.PNG

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Once you've got e-mail working, some good guidance in BI's 'Help', search for "Send SMS"; it's on page 104 in my version (attached below).
So my phone carrier (rogers) is different than the email I set up (gmail). Wonder if that's the issue.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Also had set this up on the 15 day trial.

BI Sentry.PNG

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
FYI... For testing you can simulate a motion trigger using HTTP Interface command /admin/camera=x&trigger=1.
And reset it before the break time using /admin/camera=x&trigger=0
More here, item #1:

EDIT: I stand corrected... while /admin/camera=x&trigger=1 DOES create a ‘MOTION‘ entry in the clip list, it does NOT appear to trigger any of the On alert Actions... I’ll query Ken about this.

Last edited:

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
FYI... For testing you can simulate a motion trigger using HTTP Interface command /admin/camera=x&trigger=1.
And reset it before the break time using /admin/camera=x&trigger=0
More here, item #1:

EDIT: I stand corrected... while /admin/camera=x&trigger=1 DOES create a ‘MOTION‘ entry in the clip list, it does not appear to trigger any of the On alert Actions... I’ll query Ken about this.
Wonder as well if having the Sentry AI feature on changes how the motion intrusion trigger/alerts work as well? E.g., looking at my feeds, I only see the "S" for Sentry alerts but see no basic motion detection alerts in my feed for motion intrusion.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Easy to test... Uncheck Sentry.
Alternate: uncheck option “Fire ‘On alert’ action only...”

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So been at this a few hours now working on a single camera before I move over other cams. I've gone through several of the BI guides to set up triggers based on motion and using zones. Can see the motion being detected. In the Alerts tab, all trigger sources and zones are checked, and I've tested that the gmail server works fine (received an email early on when I set it up).

But while it places an alert in the continuous video screen that I can click on and see what caused the trigger, I am getting nothing via push to my android phone's BI app, nor am I getting any emails on the alert. For the life of me I can't seem to figure it out after watching a few tutorials. I must have something off in the attached?
Put an actual email address in place of Front Door Alert, as @SouthernYankee mentioned.

InkedBI 1_LI.jpg

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ah. somehow missed the last line...will change that.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I must be misunderstanding the min/max object size..walked right across the patio, and nothing was triggered (I turned off Sentry).

1592257369215.png