New System Upgrade problems

eandrews19

n3wb
Reaction score
I wanted to let others know about my upgrade process andprovide some information for others planning up upgrading to newer I5/I7hardware.

My first BI configuration consisted of I5 2600 2nd gen processor with 8gb ofram and 1 HD divided to c and d drive. It was an HP pavilion runningwindows 10 pro and did have an addon amd video card.

I run 6 Hikvision Cameras at 2048x1536 at 15 fps and I haveone of them cloned.
I recorded direct to disk and only used BI to detectmotion on the clone so I could send alerts.
I had Intel HD acceleration set to yes+videopostproc
This system would normally run about 50-75 % cpuutilization.
I wanted to upgrade to a newer I5 and make someperformance changes so I could add more Cameras and do some more alerting withmore clones.
I followed a bunch of the recommendations and decided onI5 6600 with 8gb ram, built in Intel Graphics card, SSD C drive (bi softwareand db), WD Purple 2tb D drive (all recordings and alerts).
I used the documented method to save my BI setup from myprevious machine to bring it to the new one.
I was surprised – the new system was far worse. The system ran up 95% cpu utilization.
This frustrated me for a few days. I tried all different configuration and bios changes. No way should going from in I5 2[SUP]nd[/SUP]gen to an I5 6[SUP]th[/SUP] gen be worse.
While tracking down what was taking up the cpu cycles Ikept seeing “system and compressed memory” showing up in task manager. This never showed up in my previous setup.
In the end I ended up swapping out the i5 to go with thei7 6700 for the extra 4 threads. Thisbrought the cpu cycles down but I still saw the “system and compressed memory”showing up in task manager taking up a lot of cpu cycles.
Finally decided it must be the video card. I had a spare Nvidia Geforce GTX 275 layingaround so I installed it. Bingo – the systemand compressed memory dropped down to only 1%!
In the end I am now able to run my system full out withonly using about 25% cpu when running as a service and at 40% when I have theconsole open and with remote desktop.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@eandrews19 I dont think the issue was related to the card. Blue iris does not support the cards hardware acceleration. There is something else going on. When you tested blue iris and it showed 95% utilization, were you running the demo or did you enter the license key at that point?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I had entered the license key.
Did you build the machine yourself? Possible a bad driver. That system can handle the camera load easily - in fact it could be much better with intel hd. There is something else going on.

chadman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I wanted to let others know about my upgrade process andprovide some information for others planning up upgrading to newer I5/I7hardware.

My first BI configuration consisted of I5 2600 2nd gen processor with 8gb ofram and 1 HD divided to c and d drive. It was an HP pavilion runningwindows 10 pro and did have an addon amd video card.

I run 6 Hikvision Cameras at 2048x1536 at 15 fps and I haveone of them cloned.
I recorded direct to disk and only used BI to detectmotion on the clone so I could send alerts.
I had Intel HD acceleration set to yes+videopostproc
This system would normally run about 50-75 % cpuutilization.
I wanted to upgrade to a newer I5 and make someperformance changes so I could add more Cameras and do some more alerting withmore clones.
I followed a bunch of the recommendations and decided onI5 6600 with 8gb ram, built in Intel Graphics card, SSD C drive (bi softwareand db), WD Purple 2tb D drive (all recordings and alerts).
I used the documented method to save my BI setup from myprevious machine to bring it to the new one.
I was surprised – the new system was far worse. The system ran up 95% cpu utilization.
This frustrated me for a few days. I tried all different configuration and bios changes. No way should going from in I5 2[SUP]nd[/SUP]gen to an I5 6[SUP]th[/SUP] gen be worse.
While tracking down what was taking up the cpu cycles Ikept seeing “system and compressed memory” showing up in task manager. This never showed up in my previous setup.
In the end I ended up swapping out the i5 to go with thei7 6700 for the extra 4 threads. Thisbrought the cpu cycles down but I still saw the “system and compressed memory”showing up in task manager taking up a lot of cpu cycles.
Finally decided it must be the video card. I had a spare Nvidia Geforce GTX 275 layingaround so I installed it. Bingo – the systemand compressed memory dropped down to only 1%!
In the end I am now able to run my system full out withonly using about 25% cpu when running as a service and at 40% when I have theconsole open and with remote desktop.
did you breakdown that processs to see what it was? That's a shared process and you can use something like process explorer to see what it is. Might be something like Remote Desktop if you were using that. I had frame rate setting to unlimited within Blue Iris using Remote Desktop. This added 25 cpu to system and compared memory process,but it was really the Remote Desktop sub process.

eandrews19

n3wb
Reaction score
Fenderman - I did not build solo this time. I was thinking driver also and I removed and reloaded most of them.

Chadman - I did look into the lower level processes but was not able to pin it down to one. What I did notice is when I removed the drivers for the on board intel video card it went away. I also saw a modest increase in cpu on my previous setup with the remote destop and on the new setup it did what you saw, about 25% increase. Did you tweek any setting to lower that when using remote desktop?

And thanks to both of you guys for the suggestions, this was really driving me crazy. I am just glad that with the I7 and he Gforce card the machine is now screaming fast.