New System Requirements

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
sorry, can you elaborate? blue iris no good for more than a handful of wifi cam? What would be the optimal number of wifi cam to avoid crashes.
Hi @bitcuration

In general, WiFi and security cameras which are constantly needing to stream uninterrupted are prone to a number of issues which reduce the reliability of that setup.

Normally, less work to just go with a good wired setup if you're looking for reliability.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
A WiFi doorbell camera is one thing, but an entire system based on WiFi is another. BI is probably seeing so many dropouts due to an overloaded RF environment that it crashes. Have you even looked at band utilization using a WiFi tool? Another way to test would be to shut down half of the cameras and see what happens.

I originally tried a single WiFI camera but gave that up in short order, even after installing high gain antennas on my router and the camera. Drop outs were just too much to make it even semi-reliable at a range of 100 feet. If you have to run a wire to power a WiFi camera, run a CAT5e/6 instead and get a real camera.

In short WiFI does not equal security.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Turned out it has nothing to do with wifi. Maybe when blue iris is left alone and crashed by itself has something to do with wifi signal, but what I've experienced is not.

The pattern of crash that I've experience is very straight forward. If I'm in trigger setting and made changes to zone and object detection, if I also did a "copy/paste all" before ok the entire dialog window, blue iris will crash after I "ok" it. Very consistently.

I can avoid this by going back to trigger setting and click the "copy/paste all" on a separate trip. This would last blue iris a bit longer, if I kept changing trigger setting, soon or later the crash will happen after a "ok" to the dialog.

The latest upgrade to "AI" integration release also wiped out some camera's zone setting entirely. Not sure how it happened,no zone left at all. Next upgrade I'll make an export before and import after as a safe guard. The saving configuration at runtime seems to be poorly managed. When I changed object detection in one profile and "ok" it, going back to it not noticed the profile dropdown has changed to another by itself and if I do a "copy/paste all" it just lose all the change revert back as the old setting from the active profile took place.

Sometimes it goes back the several settings (days) ago, after many times of "ok" and "copy/paste all", not sure how it could be possibly happening. Maybe after crashes blue iris automatically import last export? even that's absurd as the old setting came back from two days ago. The system export should have the latest overnight already.

There tend to be a lot tweaking and adjustment to the object detection and triggering as I'm tuning each camera's unique combination of setting, it's two levels deep coupled with other settings, probably it can be made into a standalone dialog by itself so what's saved is all can be seen in one screen?
Email support, the author does not visit here.