New system build, whats ideal in 2023?

mikeduncan

n3wb
Reaction score
I have an old system from 2015 running BI which is honestly one of the last systems I built. I have a pretty open budget for my next system and want to be able to run around 50 cameras of mixed resolutions. I also want to take advantage of any AI that is available. Of course I want all the acceleration I can get that isn't just insanely priced. Is there a guide or suggested system builds thread? I am looking at this one currently, would this and a video card that has cuda support be just the thing?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have an old system from 2015 running BI which is honestly one of the last systems I built. I have a pretty open budget for my next system and want to be able to run around 50 cameras of mixed resolutions. I also want to take advantage of any AI that is available. Of course I want all the acceleration I can get that isn't just insanely priced. Is there a guide or suggested system builds thread? I am looking at this one currently, would this and a video card that has cuda support be just the thing?

That is a major ripoff...That system is worth 150 or less.
the number of cams is irrelevant. Its megapixels per second. See wiki.
If you intend to run AI on a bunch of cams this will not be sufficient.

mikeduncan

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok I will look at the wiki again, I did look before searching amazon and just popped in i7 8700 refurbished on amazon since the wiki said buy refurbished and had i7 8700 at the very top of suggested models

whoami ™

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I personally like how the SFF HP Elitedesk 800 G6 looks, being all blacked out. I've seen some OK deals on eBay for the i5 variant. It has 2x 3.5" drive bays which for me is mandatory and can hold alot of memory.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok I will look at the wiki again, I did look before searching amazon and just popped in i7 8700 refurbished on amazon since the wiki said buy refurbished and had i7 8700 at the very top of suggested models
The eighth gen was suggested because it was cheap an fairly new a few years ago. There are huge leaps in performance on the newer systems. It all depends on your needs and load. For that price you can buy an i5-12500 which is more than double as powerful as the i7-8700. You also need to think about available internal storage for a system with 50 cams.

mikeduncan

n3wb
Reaction score
Best suggestion in the 1000 or so range would be great for me, I am purchasing this for my workplace and really don't want to have to become an expert in current hardware to pick something but I don't want to waste money that can be used for other things like new cameras either. I'm going to be using this system for a long time so I don't have to necessarily go with the cheapest option or anything. I just don't want to run into any bottlenecks or inability to take advantage of AI

mikeduncan

n3wb
Reaction score
The eighth gen was suggested because it was cheap an fairly new a few years ago. There are huge leaps in performance on the newer systems. It all depends on your needs and load. For that price you can buy an i5-12500 which is more than double as powerful as the i7-8700. You also need to think about available internal storage for a system with 50 cams.
Ok I see, for storage I figured I would buy some wd purple drives and install them in whatever I ended up with. Space is not a factor, I have plenty of room for a regular tower here

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok I see, for storage I figured I would buy some wd purple drives and install them in whatever I ended up with. Space is not a factor, I have plenty of room for a regular tower here
You need to consider the available hard drive space in the tower

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
^ This. The Dell Optiplex towers have plenty of space. But with all of that space there's still only 1 spot for a 3.5" drive. You can stick another one in there somewhere but it doesn't come ready for it.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Posting this for future reference ..

1689828475546.png

Note, Dell Refurbished currently running a 50% deal .. stock comes in and out so you need to watch for a similar i7-8700 to compare with ..

1689828622037.png

closest they currently have .. thus $225 with 50% off .. cosmetic grade "B"

1689828665443.png

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
If you want to employ 2-3 Spinning HDD's to those 50 cams, the Dell Precision in this generation has plenty of bays. ( see link) I have the 3630, with 2 8TB drives in it,,,,only using 1 for video storage. other is just for backups and folders. But the 3630 may not be able to support the next Gen Intel chips, so I searched around to see what model #'s have newer Generation Intel chip, and found this. Kind of a compromise because thier i5- 2500 Precision Tower looks to drop the 3rd spinner bay in the photos I've seen.AND jumps up into the $1200 -$2000 range or higher.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Heres a 3630 with a Core i9 8 core 16 thread chip. which compared to the i5-12500 which is a 6core 6 thread chip.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
If it's for work and noise is not factor, the WD Purple Pro's spin at 7200 RPM and can help thru-put when reviewing videos