New Sunba Illuminati

BobW55

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
All I can say is I have had a SUNBA 507-20X for over 5 years and still going strong. I was using it as a sky camera, but I am moving it to cover the front of the house.
I too am looking for a tracking camera, more for the wild life that roams through the yard then security. But also want it to keep an eye on my telescope equipment when it's in use.
Had an issue with the motion detection trigger on my 507 after a firmware update. SUNBA answered my email later that night and had me going in about 10 minutes.
To each their own, but I have had good luck with my SUNBA. I do have a fixed Dahua starlight camera for my skycam now.

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The auto tracking on my Dahua is a joke compared to my Hikvisions:

I also have two Sunba's that I've had for 3 years and they have been flawless. But what really got my attention on the new Sunba Illuminati is that the menu's are identical to my Hikvision auto tracking cameras.
My Hikvisions are still rock solid on tracking day and night. Not only that they zoom in properly to moving subjects unlike my Illuminati and Dahuas. The Hivisions actually work and are reliable 95% of the time. The Illuminati is reliable about 60% of the time but doesn't zoom in on subjects. The Dahua is reliable about 25% of the time. It's way worse than the Illuminati.

Here's a comparison of the Sunba with the Hikvision. The Sunba is first:

Comparison of Dahua with Hikvision. Dahua is first:

Dahua example:

Same event with Hikvision:

Nighttime tracking example for Hikvision. One thing the Hikvision also does better is resolving plates at night. It seems to cut through headlight glare and get lit or unlit plates with ease. Also that turn at the top of the cul-de-sac is 375 feet away.

Another thing about the Hikvision is it's ability to boost the bitrate of the moving subject which is pretty obvious in this example:

Last edited:

BobW55

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorka
What Hikvision camera is that?

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sorka
What Hikvision camera is that?

DS-2DF8236I-AEL.

I bought two of them two years ago from a USA authorized seller with US serial numbers for $1100 each. The POE brick failed on one of them 6 months into it and Hikvision sent out a replacement. Hikvision USA doesn't like to deal with the end user but if you tell them the camera is self installed, they will honor the warranty without having to go back to the distributor.

Last edited:

BobW55

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nice, bit more $$ than I am wanting to spend for my application.

Thanks

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Nice, bit more $$ than I am wanting to spend for my application.

Thanks
Yea, it's not cheap and the $1100 was some rare smoking deal that seemed to good to be tree given the camera lists for $3700.

If you want the same tracking but in a smaller camera, you'd need something like:

DS-2DE4A225IW-DE from a USA dealer.

And then there's the import option for a lot cheaper but you sacrifice a US warranty.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, it is probably worth waiting and saving to get one that tracks the best. The Sunba autotrack isn't exactly pocket change either and I would want it to track better.

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm waiting for a second hand sony snc-vb770 to come up for sale at a reasonable price. It would eliminate the need for auto tracking and extra lighting of any kind :)

Make sure to watch this one on a large 4k monitor. It's clear from this and the lack of motion blur that license plates will be easily resolved in color with very little light.

Unfortunately, the camera was so expensive that Sony discontinued it due to sales volume.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok $500, the one I showed is $1000 and you said yours was cheap at $1100

Im just saying that at 2-3 times more $ there is a difference.

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok $500, the one I showed is $1000 and you said yours was cheap at $1100

Im just saying that at 2-3 times more $ there is a difference.

Apparently that is the case unless you were selective and picked the 10% of the time that your Dahua tracked successfully and not including failures.

Can you show me a screen shot on your Dahua settings that allows you to pick "Human" tracking over other object types?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I picked 3 that are representative of what I see it do 100-200 times per day. Does it mess up once in a while? Sure. I’d say it’s 90%+ accurate.

There’s a reason some cameras are $100 and some are $5000. Better features, better AI, better sensors, zoom, tracking etc.

just a minute I’ll get a screencap

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
In addition to the AI Human/Vehicle filter, it also has an adjustment that greatly helps tracking and keeping the object in scale- tracking target size.

PTZ-AI.jpg