New Setup Thoughts: Blue Iris or NVR

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
PoE NVRs essentially do the same thing by putting the cameras on their own subnet of 10.1.1.X - pretty simple. I like simple

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I know I will have to get a new router anyway bc I need to setup some VLANs for other devices they have. However it is nice to know an nvr will isolate the cameras.
One question though; I do believe that no matter what option I go with that the pc and Poe switch or NVR will be in a hidden location and will need to be accessed remotely. I know that I can run a BI pc without a monitor and remote in as needed to save videos make changes to BI settings etc. However, can you remote into and access the NVR? Wasn’t sure how that would work.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, same exact way. Once in via VPN browse to the NVR web interface

You can also install SmartPSS Lite on your remote PC and use it for all LiveView/playback/Downloading clips needs

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Well I do believe I may try to go the BI route and begin that setup. Either way I go I will have to get another router to begin the process. Will probably get an Edgerouter so I can just copy my settings over to their router.
Worse case is I have to switch to NVR. So if I did have to switch, as long as I bought all the cameras directly from @EMPIRETECANDY (either through his site or his Amazon page), the NVRs he sells should be compatible, correct?
Also final question for forum etiquette; once I perform the initial setup and want to start discussing camera strategies, would I need to continue this thread or create a new one?
Thanks all!
Yes can work 100% with those cams you bought from our shop. We did some guide video for the latest new NVR.

MrRobinHood

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I also ultimately chose the NVR option.
I have an AJAX NVR that is integrated with the AJAX alarm system, works perfectly!
I use Unifi hardware for the network, which is very user-friendly.
I set up the network as follows:
VLAN 1: main network for all devices
VLAN 2: This network is intended for the NVR
VLAN 3: For the IP Cameras (DAHUA)

I set it up as follows:
VLAN 1: Can access all other vlans (2 & 3)
VLAN 2: Only has access to VLAN 3 (so if the NVR is hacked it cannot access my main network.
VLAN 3: This is completely shielded from the internet and has no access to other vlans (1 & 2). I did open NTP port 123 so that the time is correct on the cameras.

The advantage of putting the cameras on a VLAN without internet access is that fewer devices are exposed to the internet (which reduces the chance of hacking or other problems). So the only risk left is the NVR.
You can also choose the VPN solution, which is the safest.

Good luck!
How are you finding the AJAX NVR experience, and app?

I'm speccing out a system for a family member and toying between pairing Hik ColorVu or the new 8MP Ajax cams with the Ajax NVR.

The NVR with Hik would provide motion detection, but the new Ajax cams would provide on camera AI object detection, ie. people, cars, and humans. However they lack the white light, and I imagine the sensor size is smaller than the Hikvision. So a bit torn.