New Ring Alarm System 199

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there a way to handle windows slightly open for air? Two magnets maybe?
Yes as with any other alarm you would need two magnets if you want the window armed, yet left slightly ajar. The ring contact sensors are rather large, so you may be able to open a window a bit with one senors placed properly, but I have not tested it.

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Any recommendation on a weatherproof contact sensor or any other sensor I can use to secure an outdoor gate? I'm in Southern California so freezing temperatures are rare but we do get quite a few 100+ days.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Any recommendation on a weatherproof contact sensor or any other sensor I can use to secure an outdoor gate? I'm in Southern California so freezing temperatures are rare but we do get quite a few 100+ days.
I would not connect an outdoor sensor to an alarm. You are asking for false alarms.

Reaction score
I'm gonna have to assume you have the Ring alarm system so I can't recommend any sensor for it.

If you have a different brand such as 2GIG or Honeywell I would recommend the Honeywell 5816OD sensor. I would recommend programming that sensor into a zone type that only notifies you if the gate is open and doesn't cause an alarm. Having it set as a perimeter type of sensor is going to cause too many false alarms.

I've been using the 5816OD outside for the past 5 years without any issues.

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would not connect an outdoor sensor to an alarm. You are asking for false alarms.
Now that you mentioned it I can see how that could be a problem. There's a bit of movement to the gate when it's latched, is that what would trigger false alarms?

Reaction score
Now that you mentioned it I can see how that could be a problem. There's a bit of movement to the gate when it's latched, is that what would trigger false alarms?
It depends on how much movement is in the gate and how much of a gap the contact sensor allows you to have. The 5816OD allows a magnet gap of 1.75" on wood or vinyl.

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm gonna have to assume you have the Ring alarm system so I can't recommend any sensor for it.

If you have a different brand such as 2GIG or Honeywell I would recommend the Honeywell 5816OD sensor. I would recommend programming that sensor into a zone type that only notifies you if the gate is open and doesn't cause an alarm. Having it set as a perimeter type of sensor is going to cause too many false alarms.

I've been using the 5816OD outside for the past 5 years without any issues.
I don't have a ring system but I was considering one. I do have a camera (connected to BI) on that gate but get a lot of false alerts when it's windy. I guess I need refine my motion detection.

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't have a ring system but I was considering one. I do have a camera (connected to BI) on that gate but get a lot of false alerts when it's windy. I guess I need refine my motion detection.
I have a "windy" profile in BI that increases the make time and the distance an object must travel which really helps.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It's not about the movement it's that an outdoor gate can easily trigger by a kid walking by and if you are not there to answer the phone, the cops will be called for no reason. You may even accidentally trigger it yourself. You can use a zwave sensor there that will just notify you via the app or have it trigger bi, but dont connect it to the alarm.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Chamberlain® Switch Sensor Wide Gap Contact Security Alarm System Outdoor Gate

I put on my gate. It will stick out past the gate, and sometimes people think its a handle.

I had it connected to my Home automation system, not an alarm, and had some issues with it. For me, it was of limited value so I no longer use it.

Randy

gpower07

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ring is releasing a new alarm system at a great price point. 199 gets you a base station, keypad and motion sensor, door/window sensor, and a range extender. It can be preordered on amazon, which owns ring.
https://www.amazon.com/Ring-Alarm-Home-Security-Kit/dp/B07D7Q6CHB/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1529028910&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=ring+alarm&psc=1

While Ring cameras and doorbells are crap, their alarm system is a great value considering its price and that CELLULAR based monitoring is only 10 dollars a month no contract or 100 per year. You will not find cellular monitoring at this price.

The additional accessories and sensors are very reasonably priced. I am surprised.
Security System

Yes, hardwired systems are best but nearly impossible to install properly after construction. Vista panels are nice and can support wireless sensors but still lots of work for most and you will still pay more for cellular monitoring and remote control of the system, wont be anywhere near 10 bux. This will be a game changer in the self install market. Competition like nest and abode should be worried.
now you made me spend 200$ again..

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Adamsdaddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@fenderman Do you still like your Ring alarm system? I've been flipflopping between Simplisafe 3.0 or the Ring. Simplisafe has hundreds of complaints about their customer service but they've been around longer. I have a two story 2000 square foot home with two double doors to the backyard and a 20 lb dog. I was thinking of aiming the motion sensors at the back doors since the breakins have been happening via smashing down the backdoors. I'd also like to get a 5216 and some Dahua zooms but an alarm is cheaper and would seem a better idea since the bad guys have been wearing hoodies and taking the plates off their cars.

The $240 deal at Costco for the Ring setup is what caught my eye.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman Do you still like your Ring alarm system? I've been flipflopping between Simplisafe 3.0 or the Ring. Simplisafe has hundreds of complaints about their customer service but they've been around longer. I have a two story 2000 square foot home with two double doors to the backyard and a 20 lb dog. I was thinking of aiming the motion sensors at the back doors since the breakins have been happening via smashing down the backdoors. I'd also like to get a 5216 and some Dahua zooms but an alarm is cheaper and would seem a better idea since the bad guys have been wearing hoodies and taking the plates off their cars.

The $240 deal at Costco for the Ring setup is what caught my eye.
Yes. You cant go wrong with costco...you can return anytime. Simplysafe is a rippoff compared to ring alarm.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Is there a outdoor siren/strobe that can be added to this ring alarm system?

Adamsdaddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No however they are wireless and state 3 years of battery life so you could place one in the attic with the speaker aimed outside through a vent. It does however only have an operating temperature up to 104 degrees . You are in Canada so maybe that'd work for you.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Apparently this siren will be out soon. Dome Siren

I do see it for sale on amazon, but it don’t work on ring alarm system.

tony22

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There are other options outside ring that are way better...my point was that ring is by far the cheapest. Home assistant is not an alarm system and should not be confused with one.
I'm late to this party, but @fenderman, what options would you recommend as being better? I have a different thread about system recommendations but then saw your message here.