New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can purchase a newer computer with newest CPU and a bunch of RAM 32Gb plus more if you can.

Run Ubuntu on it and multiple VMs of whatever you want.

I was in to speech and VR in the 1990's and started to collect Microsoft Voice fonts way back working on Banking telephone VR / TTS stuff.

Bugged wife with foreign language speech some a few years back.

Here is one virtual machine running on Ubuntu.

W7ProVB.jpg

H0va4life

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can purchase a newer computer with newest CPU and a bunch of RAM 32Gb plus more if you can.

Run Ubuntu on it and multiple VMs of whatever you want.

I was in to speech and VR in the 1990's and started to collect Microsoft Voice fonts way back working on Banking telephone VR / TTS stuff.

Bugged wife with foreign language speech some a few years back.

Here is one virtual machine running on Ubuntu.

View attachment 145608
Nice, thanks for sharing!

Yeah I am unsure how much I am going to dive into this, so my goal was to keep cost low without bringing a lot more devices in the house. My optiplex is in the MT form so I can store a few drives in there to help with minimizing system footprint. I probably will just run VMs on windows, but am unsure why I need windows - unsure if I'll be using blue iris so besides that I don't know why I really need windows. I just need to dive in basically.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes utilize Windows mostly here via RDP for management programs. IE: like TP-Link switch management programs or UPB Upstart.

Yes old as Zoneminder is (been running it for a very long time) still like it better than BI. BUT I like BI running way better on Windows Server than Windows 10 (advertisement).

Shinobi is way better today than Zoneminder. I have tested it but still very used to running Zoneminder.

Shinobi is an open-source Linux CCTV software. With the help of Shinobi, you can monitor, view, edit and delete videos from home easily. Written in Node.js., Shinobi can record both the IP and local cameras. Shinobi can record to MP4 or WebM and open videos on your mobile device without any issues.

Windows 10-11 today is just a terminal to the Internet much like Android is. I shut off my Windows tablets when not using them. That said everytime I use them I start to get junk mail on my Microsoft accounts and a push now to pay for Office 365.

Way back did use Zoneminder with manual video capture cards and Axis servers in SD mode at the time. A short BTW here is that most if not all CCTV DVRs are all running embedded Linux on just a bit of memory and CPU very limited OS feature set. That is why it is better to run CCTV stuff in software on a regular PC.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Probably why EZVIZ is going slow as a snail to support me with my mechanical chime not working - its been about a month since I've opened a case with them.

I just got a bunch of sage sensors - anyway I can tell from that if the ezviz is sending any signal at all to the chime?
So the Sage will send your Z-Wave/Zigbee Hub a signal when your DB button is pressed.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unfortunately the mechanical chime is still not activating. If you don't mind me asking, what firmware and version are you using, is it possible for me to downgrade to that?

I've tried the following thus far and no luck:
  1. Chime works when I remove the doorbell out of the circuit and touch the wires together.
  2. Adding/removing/resetting multiple times on EZVIZ app and physically reseting via the button outside
  3. Tried using the HK app
  4. Tried multiple transformers including a tri-volt
  5. Tried the cmh1 and a nutone doorbell off of their compatibility list
If you want to try different firmwares, these are the ones I have for your DB1:

1668388620632.png

H0va4life

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So the Sage will send your Z-Wave/Zigbee Hub a signal when your DB button is pressed.

Thanks! I quickly tried it out unsure which button assignment matches to what. I tried maybe the transformer since that should receive a signal and nothing happened after I made a routine to turn a light red. I will assign each of the three buttons a different color and hopefully the light changes.

If you want to try different firmwares, these are the ones I have for your DB1:

View attachment 145635
Thank you!

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks! I quickly tried it out unsure which button assignment matches to what. I tried maybe the transformer since that should receive a signal and nothing happened after I made a routine to turn a light red. I will assign each of the three buttons a different color and hopefully the light changes.

Thank you!
I am still leaning that you are dealing with the same Chime issue everyone else here has dealt with. That is it was not their Chime or Transformer that was the problem. Something with either the App/Cloud update and or firmware.

EDIT: I see these Threads all the time:

Last edited:

H0va4life

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am still leaning that you are dealing with the same Chime issue everyone else here has dealt with. That is it was not their Chime or Transformer that was the problem. Something with either the App/Cloud update and or firmware.

EDIT: I see these Threads all the time:

After all the work I've done its definitely an app/fw issue.

BECAUSE I am a good and responsible person and I search for my problem and solutions BEFORE posting about it - I know you seen a lot of this issue there were quite a few posts - I did feel like posting again because I didn't see a complete solution. I will probably make a new thread summarizing everything I went thru and what I am going with in the end.

Thank you very much for your help thus far!

NickTheGreat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think my Laview may have finally bit the wiener. Usually I can just cut the power for a few days and re-add to the app and I'm good for a few months. Tried it the other night and the app won't find it. I only had about 10 minutes to put towards it, so I need to try it again, for real.

Which I'm happy to be rid of this thing, but I'm not sure if I have many better options :confused:

H0va4life

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think my Laview may have finally bit the wiener. Usually I can just cut the power for a few days and re-add to the app and I'm good for a few months. Tried it the other night and the app won't find it. I only had about 10 minutes to put towards it, so I need to try it again, for real.

Which I'm happy to be rid of this thing, but I'm not sure if I have many better options :confused:
If I had to do it again, I'd still use my old mechanical dumb doorbell and just get a camera, especially blink camera (if you don't mind cloud/amazon), and put it at a good angle over my entrance area. You can even grab a sage sensor, I have a few some unopened, and connected inside your mechnical chime which will trigger smart things.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Before the Video Doorbell stuff used an Optex outdoor PIR / Camera facing the door at a right angle. Additionally added Geophone motion detection under the cement walk.

I had no issues with the wired configuration. I do not like or ever have liked using wireless for video. That is me.

The doorbell itself was connected to the alarm panel via ELK circuit boards.

BTW I liked the plug n play of the Ring doorbell and have one today in house two and managed via their API / Home Assistant. It is in the cloud though.

I installed Blink cameras next door here and the retired folks there are very happy with them.

Sorry about all of your issues.

There are other options even POE wired doorbells today. Prices are all over the place. I have never used the android apps except for initial configuration. Same with the Ring alarm and doorbell. You cannot change the code in the firmware that talks to the cloud and modifes the hardware. Have a look at installing the ONVIF software. There are sections in it relating to management of the doorbell via the android app / cloud. Personally that is why I use an old version of the Hikvision application to manage what I can manage hardware wise.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

You have had your LaView about as long as mine. I am one of the lucky ones, have only had to cut power a few times in these last 3 years. Never had to add it back to the App. The Power cutting was to get may SDCard back recording again. But enough about me.

From what I have read the DB1C is a little better than what we have, that is they improved the WiFi signal a little but it sounds like it still is not up to par. The AI instead of PIR has not proven better, actually worse, but if you have BI or a NVR to detect motion you are good.

Had a friend just order the Eufy 3-in-1 he got it on sale, list for $399, he paid $299. Don't know much about it, the Chime it comes with allows for SDCard recording, don't know if it supports RTSP. I will say it is a nice looking solution to have a Smart Lock and Smart Doorbell combo. He is replacing his Nest.

One thing about this though, if your door is facing the street/front, this will work good, but if you door is on the side, say left side, the door frame will get in the way of the camera. For my friend, his door is on the right side so he will see someone walking up but not sure how much his door frame will cut off the person standing in front of his door.

century

n3wb
Reaction score
I was not happy with the notifications I was receiving from my RCA doorbell on F/W 190124. It would notify me every time a car drove by or when I entered or left the house, but never when a package was delivered to my porch.

I decided the try to upgrade to the Hikvision 200321 F/W using the guides posted here.

I got as far as loading the F/W using Batch Config v3.0.2.6. It asked to reboot the doorbell - I allowed it to.

And that's where it ended..... the doorbell lights up with a solid red ring. The reset button does not do anything. The doorbell stays lit even after disconnecting from power.

Was I supposed to click "cancel" when it asked to reboot after the upgrade? Any idea why this happened? I made sure to upgrade to the latest RCA firmware before attempting this.

Please let me know if you have any ideas on recovering this unit.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was not happy with the notifications I was receiving from my RCA doorbell on F/W 190124. It would notify me every time a car drove by or when I entered or left the house, but never when a package was delivered to my porch.

I decided the try to upgrade to the Hikvision 200321 F/W using the guides posted here.

I got as far as loading the F/W using Batch Config v3.0.2.6. It asked to reboot the doorbell - I allowed it to.

And that's where it ended..... the doorbell lights up with a solid red ring. The reset button does not do anything. The doorbell stays lit even after disconnecting from power.

Was I supposed to click "cancel" when it asked to reboot after the upgrade? Any idea why this happened? I made sure to upgrade to the latest RCA firmware before attempting this.

Please let me know if you have any ideas on recovering this unit.
Check out out TROUBLESHOOTING Section on our 101

century

n3wb
Reaction score
I am wondering if there is anything I can try to get this unit to register events when packages are delivered. It simply does not register when a delivery driver leaves a package on my porch. The porch and steps are in full view.

If I enter or exit my house, no issue. It notifies me every time a car drives by on the street. But for a quick in-and-out delivery, it misses every time.

I tried turning on motion detection in Batch Config, but that did nothing.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I could never adjust the motion detection correctly as it was either too sensitive or not sensitive enough.

I abandoned the effort and went to an outdoor PIR on the front porch facing the door from above. Works well this way.

That said Amazon delivery folks never ring the doorbell and typically slide the package from the front walk to the porch. UPS, Fedex and USPS always ring the doorbell.

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have Nelly's NSC-DB2 and it used to work really good with the Detection Area witch was set at 9 ft and all was good (5ft, 9ft, 16ft) , but now after they did something to the app / firmware updates at 9' i get all mid to big trucks as notification on my phone when i am away! hmmm, using "guarding Vision" app.
Now i am thinking to move to Reolink Video Doorbell PoE when available to buy.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah here do not use any of the phone apps and have no dependencies on any of my 5 cell accounts. I have them set up such that when they are off caller gets a message that the phone is disconnected. Use GV to phones and home VOIP...which works for me...