New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
really surprised u guys still rockin the RCA doorbell.

think that was my first one i tried.

the reolink POE seems to be the crowd pleaser in 2024

Daijoubu

n3wb
Reaction score
I do have a separate PoE camera with a larger IMX347 1/1.8" sensor as well, running PoE to my doorbell is a nono lol.
The Reolink Doorbell quality is fine if you have sufficient lights but still has it's limitation due to its form factor

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I do have a separate PoE camera with a larger IMX347 1/1.8" sensor as well, running PoE to my doorbell is a nono lol.
The Reolink Doorbell quality is fine if you have sufficient lights but still has it's limitation due to its form factor
All Video DBs have their small form factor limits.

ReoLink's lack of WDR & BLC is it's major flaw IMO. Anyone with a porch where the DB is mounted in and has the sun in the background will have to chose which one of the two to tune in the best video quality. I chose the porch and capture any walking up to the porch with my other camera(s)
But I do agree with flynreelow, out of the two (Hikvision DB) and (ReoLink's DB), ReoLink is the winner. We both had our Hiks for several years and they served us well. Presently I am running the WiFi version of the ReoLink without any issues.

Kallb123

n3wb
Reaction score
I just noticed all my EZVIZ images are stored publicly, with no encryption or login. I know there was a massive uproar when Eufy didn't encrypt stuff, but I suppose that's because they promised encryption. EZVIZ doesn't mentioned anything about encryption. Just seems bizarre to me that all images would be stored on a public server.

I suppose people know about this because the URLs are built into third party integrations (like in Home Assistant etc).

Can I disable this? I'm happy to VPN into my network if I need to see images. I still want it to act as a doorbell though so don't want to block all Internet connectivity.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just noticed all my EZVIZ images are stored publicly, with no encryption or login. I know there was a massive uproar when Eufy didn't encrypt stuff, but I suppose that's because they promised encryption. EZVIZ doesn't mentioned anything about encryption. Just seems bizarre to me that all images would be stored on a public server.

I suppose people know about this because the URLs are built into third party integrations (like in Home Assistant etc).

Can I disable this? I'm happy to VPN into my network if I need to see images. I still want it to act as a doorbell though so don't want to block all Internet connectivity.
There is or use to be a setting in the App (EZVIZ) where you can encrypt your video, don't remember any encryption with Images.

There are several options to get off their cloud. The one I use(d) is using Home Assistant with Blue Iris. Having the Home Assistant App running on our phones, we get notifications when someone was at our door. No 2 way Talking though...I run a local VPN Server that our phones connect to. Oh one more thing with EZVIZ, in order to get doorbell button press notifications, normally a relay with usually Z-Wave/Zigbee will be needed. Many here came up with different options which you can find in our 101

HTH

Kallb123

n3wb
Reaction score
There is or use to be a setting in the App (EZVIZ) where you can encrypt your video, don't remember any encryption with Images.

There are several options to get off their cloud. The one I use(d) is using Home Assistant with Blue Iris. Having the Home Assistant App running on our phones, we get notifications when someone was at our door. No 2 way Talking though...I run a local VPN Server that our phones connect to. Oh one more thing with EZVIZ, in order to get doorbell button press notifications, normally a relay with usually Z-Wave/Zigbee will be needed. Many here came up with different options which you can find in our 101

HTH

Thanks David, I think I have encrypted video, it's just all our images being stored on a public server that makes no sense to me. I had assumed that logging into the app would authenticate me to access images/video from the doorbell itself (or at least access it from a restricted cloud server).

I know a lot of people seem to have migrated go Reolink, do we know if they have a sane cloud architecture?

I would prefer not to set up a relay for doorbell rings, there's only so much tech debt a household can take on I already run stuff via Home Assistant, it's just doorbell notifications are a key missing piece there that requires the app.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks David, I think I have encrypted video, it's just all our images being stored on a public server that makes no sense to me. I had assumed that logging into the app would authenticate me to access images/video from the doorbell itself (or at least access it from a restricted cloud server).

I know a lot of people seem to have migrated go Reolink, do we know if they have a sane cloud architecture?

I would prefer not to set up a relay for doorbell rings, there's only so much tech debt a household can take on I already run stuff via Home Assistant, it's just doorbell notifications are a key missing piece there that requires the app.
I personally try to stay away from clouds. I did use the EZVIZ App when I had my LaView DB (Hik/DB1 variant) but now with ReoLink I do not use their Cloud/App.

What drew many of us to the ReoLink is their POE version. No more RF signal issues with WiFi, plus much more secure...

The video quality is much better with the ReoLink, the HA integration is nice, you get motion, person detection and door button press (Visitor)

1714300436498.png

I use Blue Iris for my motion and CPAI person detection, when someone is motion detected, the wife and I get a notification on our phones, thru the HA App. Our phones are connected to our local VPN Server (pfSense), so viewing any cameras are encrypted...

But here are the negatives, the ReoLink DB does not connect to your Chime, it comes with it's own chime. Not a problem, we actually like it's Chime plus there are ways to still use your existing chime:

Next negative is no WDR or BLC, so if you get alot of sun in the background where you DB is pointed to, a person's face will be washed out until they get out of the sun, or you can adjust to where you can see them in the sun but they will be too dark out of the sunlight. Most of us have other cameras that capture someone walking up our yard to the front door so we adjust for a good picture when they are out of the sun.

But minus these few negatives I still like the ReoLink much better than my LaView. I enjoyed my LaView for several years so I am not downing it, had Hik came out with a newer version, I might of went that route, but from what I read here some are saying with newer firmware versions, they were taking away ONVIF and other features.

HTH

Last edited: