New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

Reaction score
Hi,
Anyone know if can activate and deactivate the sound notification mode with a api call or something like that?

Capture.JPG

JimLS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I used the batch config ap on Windows 10 PC (from HikVision site) and Nelly's guide. Got the camera on my isolated network and video works. When selecting the ssid my isolated network showed up with ssid field blank even though other computers showed the ssid. I knew it was correct from channel number so selected it and then entered the ssid manually which seemed to work fine. I still don't have my interior chime working and didn't see anywhere to change it in the batch config program. I also wondered about a way to get button pushes through the network but that may not be possible.

Reaction score
I used the batch config ap on Windows 10 PC (from HikVision site) and Nelly's guide. Got the camera on my isolated network and video works. When selecting the ssid my isolated network showed up with ssid field blank even though other computers showed the ssid. I knew it was correct from channel number so selected it and then entered the ssid manually which seemed to work fine. I still don't have my interior chime working and didn't see anywhere to change it in the batch config program. I also wondered about a way to get button pushes through the network but that may not be possible.
it's for a integration to Home Assistant so it's must be with code. I actually don't mind the cloud part.

JimLS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I removed DB from app and restarted. At some point it asked for new password - dont remember if it was hikconnect app or ivms4200 - think it was hikconnect. Now I can't seem to log in. The reset button gives audio that it resets and gives wifi ap which I can connect to. But I can't connect to the camera to do anything. I read about holding reset when powering up to do a hard reset - does that apply to this DB? Also read to remove power for extended time. Should I try that. I saw an option to reset in hikconnect app by scanning QR code but it always rejects scanning the code even though the code is in good condition and lighting is good - no glare, etc.

I also read somewhere that the DB needs to ping a server periodically or it could stop. I am not allowing internet connection so I am guessing I need to do that. Where do I set that and can I just direct this to my router (which won't send it anywhere else as it has not WAN connection)?

JimLS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Decided to try registering for account. Put phone on network with internet access. Scanned qr code to add camera. Went through steps and got audio "wifi connected" Then at end of countdown on app I got two choices: Incorrect wifi password with "retry" button and Complicated environment.. Camera may be affected with "reset" button which starts the whole add a device process over. No device was added. About to give up...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Decided to try registering for account. Put phone on network with internet access. Scanned qr code to add camera. Went through steps and got audio "wifi connected" Then at end of countdown on app I got two choices: Incorrect wifi password with "retry" button and Complicated environment.. Camera may be affected with "reset" button which starts the whole add a device process over. No device was added. About to give up...
Sorry been real busy these last few days, been meaning to reply. A few questions:

Are you connecting to your Router/Ap via 2.4GHz?
Can you see your Doorbell in your Router Once connected. (Set aside the App for now) If so, what is the IP? Can you Ping your Doorbell? Next I would try to connect to it with VLC:

⦁ RTSP Streaming for VLC (VideoLAN Media Player) Under Media/Open Network Stream (Ctrl+N)...Enter your RTSP Link/Info for Live Video Stream

If all that works then you Doorbell is connected properly to your network. Be sure to use the Doorbell password on the back when adding to App. You may need to try a different App. There are several that work. I personally liked EZVIZ App. You just can't use multiple Apps anymore so you will need to remove the Doorbell from which ever App you are not using...

⦁ Available Apps (Allows Remote Access):

iO/S: Hik-Connect, RCA Security, EZVIZ, LaView One, Guarding Vision
Android: Hik-Connect, RCA Security, EZVIZ, LaView ONE, Guarding Vision
⦁ Android 9 Hik-Connect Setup Help - Dewcal
⦁ In App be sure and change Hi-Def to Ultra HD

I am getting all of this info above from our 101

HTH

JimLS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
David,

Thanks. Yes, it turns out the camera is working but I had forgotten I had blocked internet access for it so probably why setup is complaining. So not quite sure why I was having trouble setting it up on my isolated network. I think I may not have waited for it to connect and wasn't near the unit to hear it's audio responses. I will give that another try.

JimLS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I put the camera on a network that had internet access and it went farther and gave me the chance to set options of microphone, chime and motion detection areas. Apparently this only happens with internet access. And my chime wasn't working so I needed to set that. At the end it wanted me to set up an account and I put in an email that I had set up an account on. It wouldn't accept it saying it had already been used - maybe I missed something to let me associate it with an existing account. In any case I didn't really want that and will now try to change the network with batch config program.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I put the camera on a network that had internet access and it went farther and gave me the chance to set options of microphone, chime and motion detection areas. Apparently this only happens with internet access. And my chime wasn't working so I needed to set that. At the end it wanted me to set up an account and I put in an email that I had set up an account on. It wouldn't accept it saying it had already been used - maybe I missed something to let me associate it with an existing account. In any case I didn't really want that and will now try to change the network with batch config program.
Good you got it going again. Yeah we have tried several things to get around registering on their cloud, but once registered you can isolate it. I had mine on a VLAN separate from my main network. Now i have the ReoLink Doorbell, it does not require registration unless you use their App.
Had the LaView (Your Hik DB) for 3 years, it ran fine, had it recording/streaming 24/7 to Blue Iris.

JimLS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Maybe I missed it but I didn't see anything in the 101 on needing internet access to completely set up the doorbell. I did see that Nelly's has a setup that claims you don't need the app but that doesn't allow setup of mike, chime, and sensor area AFAIK, Is Nelly's firmware different in that aspect?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe I missed it but I didn't see anything in the 101 on needing internet access to completely set up the doorbell. I did see that Nelly's has a setup that claims you don't need the app but that doesn't allow setup of mike, chime, and sensor area AFAIK, Is Nelly's firmware different in that aspect?
So most/many Smart DB's force you to register with their cloud service.

No, Nelly's also needs to connect to the cloud in order to setup DB and Chime properly. Many here tried to figure a way around it. Once you get past the initial setup you can remove the DB from Internet access but remote App access won't work, as you experienced. We have several here not on their cloud. Unfortunately there is no ONVIF event for Door Button Press to capture with this DB, unlike the new ReoLink, so that is why many here use Relays. So without the App you can have your NVR (Blue Iris, ZoneMinder, etc.) send push notifications to your phone based on motion. But no two way audio communication.

AI is really helped though, you can have a snapshot sent to your phone when a person or USPS courier delivers a package. I am still playing with this AI, I presently use DeepStack...I plan to try CodeProject.AI

Here are a few links:

Pretty kewl stuff...

HTH

Last edited:

JimLS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Seems like an important detail that should get added to the 101. Thanks for the tip on AI - I will check that out.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Seems like an important detail that should get added to the 101. Thanks for the tip on AI - I will check that out.
Thanks, I added this to the 101 as a Con of this Doorbell, which actually is a Con (for some people) for all these type of Doorbells. At least this Doorbell does not require a pay service.

WannaTheater

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does anyone know if parts are available for this doorbell camera? The center plastic "dome" is all cracked- I am thinking from Florida sun. I reached out to Nelly's, and they are seeing if they have any from old units.

Thanks!

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone know if parts are available for this doorbell camera? The center plastic "dome" is all cracked- I am thinking from Florida sun. I reached out to Nelly's, and they are seeing if they have any from old units.

Thanks!
I have not seen any.

Found this a few years back.

May have to check Alibaba:

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks- Fortunately it does not yet impact the image
So for myself, I don't use the PIR since Blue Iris zones detect my motion along with AI. If you have the same or similar and can live without the PIR I would just glue/tape or paint (clear) over it maybe with acrylic type paint or something that can handle UV. Main thing is not to let moisture in.

WannaTheater

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hopefully someone will come out with a suitable replacement cam.
(for the record, I've been 100% satisfied with this since purchase in 2020-NOV. Would've bought another if they were still sold)

kruuth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I stupidly changed the password in my RCA running laview using ivms. What do I need to do in order to get it back to the original and connected? I posted how I was able to get it working before but there's got to be a better way