New not getting moved to stored

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a 450SSD limit is 400gb that new and alerts (database only) limite is 1gb is created. Then it is supposed to be moved to a 6TB HDD. However, it is not doing this and eventually the SSD gets filed up and some camera simply stop trigger alerts. I'm not sure it's related but if I either wipe the SSD or manually move the files, delete/regen fix the problem for about 7 days before the issue arises again when the drive is filled up. I have a 2TB SSD on it's way but is questioning if this is going to fix my problem.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Post screenshots of the clips/archiving settings and the BI version you are on. Some of the recent BI revisions have had issues.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You broke the number 1 rule of renaming the New, Alerts, and Stored folders and now it is all effed up.

From the help file:

By default, there are four folders configured to store recordings—Database, New, Stored, and
Alerts. More precisely, only New and Stored are used to store video files; the Database folder
hosts a series of .dat files which are used by the software to keep track of the other folders,
and the Alerts folder will remain empty unless you have asked for hi-res alert images on the
Record tab in camera settings. These folders should not be renamed. The Alerts folder may
not be used otherwise for direct recording, even if you rename it.

So there are 3 folders you cannot rename - Alerts, New, and Stored - According to your screenshots you renamed the folders they go to - they need to be Alerts, New, and Stored. It are the Aux that you can do renaming. Even though you renamed them, internally they are still Alerts, New, Stored and now they have nowhere to go or are going to wrong places.

Hopefully renaming the first 3 to what they should be will fix it....

I wouldn't move the Alerts stuff either. That will ef up your alert thumbnails moving them around.

1685319948346.png

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 450SSD limit is 400gb that new and alerts (database only) limite is 1gb is created. Then it is supposed to be moved to a 6TB HDD. However, it is not doing this and eventually the SSD gets filed up and some camera simply stop trigger alerts. I'm not sure it's related but if I either wipe the SSD or manually move the files, delete/regen fix the problem for about 7 days before the issue arises again when the drive is filled up. I have a 2TB SSD on it's way but is questioning if this is going to fix my problem.
Do you actually have 400gb of free space on the SSD before the video files are added to it?

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you actually have 400gb of free space on the SSD before the video files are added to it?
I actually have 450gb free space the SSD to start, BI is all it's used for. the DB is on the OS drive that is also SSD. When things hang up, I'm only at 398gb of used space.

According to the recommendation I've changed everything as it should.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I actually have 450gb free space the SSD to start, BI is all it's used for. the DB is on the OS drive that is also SSD. When things hang up, I'm only at 398gb of used space.

According to the recommendation I've changed everything as it should.

Are BI and windows on the same SSD? How much free space is there on the ssd before BI files?

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here you go.

BI, DB and Windows on the same SSD. Here's where we stand

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
without looking at any of the above posts, I'd call a red flag on assigning "New" to the SSD. Create a New on the 6TB drive. don't waste cpu cycles moving data around.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
without looking at any of the above posts, I'd call a red flag on assigning "New" to the SSD. Create a New on the 6TB drive. don't waste cpu cycles moving data around.
If I put New on the 6TB reviewing recording and alerts is extremely slow. I made a post of this awhile ago and was recommended to put it on an SSD>

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unless it is a different thread LOL, it was said to simply put it all on HDD

Folks here have way more HDD TB storage with you and it all runs fine with NEW on it.

What make/model is the HDD?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
If your gonna play with NEW on the SSD, I would not try to use every sqaure inch of possible free space, before it moves the files. Windows needs Swapfile ( or whatever they call it now) free space on the disk maybe like 10-15%.... make sure disk defrag is off on the 6TB drive. make sure Windows defender is not scanning that drive.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If your gonna play with NEW on the SSD, I would not try to use every sqaure inch of possible free space, before it moves the files. Windows needs Swapfile ( or whatever they call it now) free space on the disk maybe like 10-15%.... make sure disk defrag is off on the 6TB drive. make sure Windows defender is not scanning that drive.
I have 447GB of space and is only allocating 400GB. When defender is disabled.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If I put New on the 6TB reviewing recording and alerts is extremely slow. I made a post of this awhile ago and was recommended to put it on an SSD>
Something is wrong if its extremely slow. Yes its faster with an ssd but it should not be slow with an hdd.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Something is wrong if its extremely slow. Yes its faster with an ssd but it should not be slow with an hdd.
For what I paid for a 2TB SSD, should I buy an 8TB HDD if that's going to solve my problem. I'm going to be away for 3-4 months at a time and just need a solid way to keep recording.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I think your problem is caused by moving from new to your disktation then back to your pc stored folder...makes no sense.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
For what I paid for a 2TB SSD, should I buy an 8TB HDD if that's going to solve my problem. I'm going to be away for 3-4 months at a time and just need a solid way to keep recording.
you should

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
also no need to move your alerts around...its only for high res images if you are saving those...