New & Need some help!

Joeeloww

n3wb
Reaction score
First off, this place is a wealth of knowledge.. I’ve been reading threads for a little over a week trying to figure out what to get, and it’s like drinking water from a fire hose!

Here’s the scoop..
New build home, was able to have cables ran to 6 spots on the exterior of the home (will post a diagram). Front is adequately lit and the read has two powerful floodlights under where the camera boxes are mounted

I’ve come to the conclusion that the 5442’s are the cameras to get. My budget for 6 cameras is around $1300. I would prefer to have an NVR, but am open to other suggestions.

I guess the hardest part is, what lens do I need for the 5442’s for my application? I just can’t figure out which lens is best for Each spot.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Attachments

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It is OK to start slow and build. I would start with a 5442 4MP Varifocal, just one single camera and play around and see. If you don't have a poe switch you can buy a single poe injector for $20 bucks, that is how I started, one varifocal and a single poe injector.

To me, the 3.6 MM is kind of the Swiss Army Knife of cameras, it does a lot of things (and does them well).

The 6MM 5442 have been in short supply last time I looked.

Don't rule out Blue Iris. I found this site and was set on a NVR and went Blue Iris. If you have a spare PC that has enough power the entry cost to try Blue Iris is very low.

ETA As an option, buy one 2.8 and a 3.6, and compare the different Field of View in different locations, trust me, you will find a use for both of them.

Joeeloww

n3wb
Reaction score
It is OK to start slow and build. I would start with a 5442 4MP Varifocal, just one single camera and play around and see. If you don't have a poe switch you can buy a single poe injector for $20 bucks, that is how I started, one varifocal and a single poe injector.

To me, the 3.6 MM is kind of the Swiss Army Knife of cameras, it does a lot of things (and does them well).

The 6MM 5442 have been in short supply last time I looked.

Don't rule out Blue Iris. I found this site and was set on a NVR and went Blue Iris. If you have a spare PC that has enough power the entry cost to try Blue Iris is very low.
Thanks for the reply!
Will have to try and find the varifocal version, have only been able to find the fixed 3.6 and 6mm. I’ve got a smart panel in the home with a 32port Ruckus Ethernet POE switch. Blue iris sounds like a good option, I’m a Mac only guy at the time so I’d have to pickup a new PC for that, but definitely not ruling it out.

Reaction score
take a look at this post I replied to this Monday morning . May help

Joeeloww

n3wb
Reaction score
take a look at this post I replied to this Monday morning . May help
Was actually reading that this morning! I ended up going with two of the 5442-ZE for the front corners. One 5442 6mm for above the front door, and three 5442 3.8mm for the rear. Needed a little wider angle to cover the pool and the surrounding walls.
All cameras have the cat6 wire in a standard outlet box. What’s the best option for mounting? I’ve seen brackets be used etc, all cameras would be mounted on a vertical wall.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Was actually reading that this morning! I ended up going with two of the 5442-ZE for the front corners. One 5442 6mm for above the front door, and three 5442 3.8mm for the rear. Needed a little wider angle to cover the pool and the surrounding walls.
All cameras have the cat6 wire in a standard outlet box. What’s the best option for mounting? I’ve seen brackets be used etc, all cameras would be mounted on a vertical wall.
welcome @Joeeloww

iirc there's an adapter plate available from Dahua .. I don't recall the model .. check for it here ..

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Joeeloww

n3wb
Reaction score

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FWIW :

For those building new homes, I would run a lot more drops for security cameras and other cat6 drops while it is affordable to do so ...

Remember, you can always easily opt to install less cameras, however once the dry wall and exterior walls are up, it is significantly harder to run lines.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
FWIW :

For those building new homes, I would run a lot more drops for security cameras and other cat6 drops while it is affordable to do so ...

Remember, you can always easily opt to install less cameras, however once the dry wall and exterior walls are up, it is significantly harder to run lines.
:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:

THIS!!

Run CAT5E/6 everywhere. Home run it to a closet where the cable modem/fiber/whatever is terminated. Run at least two to each location. I am living in a house which was renovated 20 years ago with some Ethernet run, and I wish I had lots more. Even mesh systems like having the home runs on ethernet!!

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
For the lens selection, check this pic. Can make some measurement, no need very accurate.
Most place can use the 2.8mm and 3.6mm, 6MM Use narrow place need for a longer view.

1630982788303.png

Joeeloww

n3wb
Reaction score
:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:

THIS!!

Run CAT5E/6 everywhere. Home run it to a closet where the cable modem/fiber/whatever is terminated. Run at least two to each location. I am living in a house which was renovated 20 years ago with some Ethernet run, and I wish I had lots more. Even mesh systems like having the home runs on ethernet!!
Yes! I ran them all through conduit lines so I can easily thread some more wire down the paths. Also ran a cat6 outlet to every room in the house. My nest mesh system (5 routers used as “points”) are going to be puttin out alllll the speed!