New member, specific question

guzzis3

n3wb
Reaction score
HI,

I've been doing my best to figure this out for some time. I've searched and read everything I can find but to no avail. I would very much appreciate someone here pointing me to my answer. I'm quite happy to read anything that addresses it rather than just asking for you to figure it out for me. Feeling a bit frustrated and desperate :)

The december before last I was robbed. As you might imagine it took from me a lot of security in my home. I installed one of those cheap chinese alarms that call my number if the alarm is tripped. This was a quick solution as I was going away for christmas. The system worked well enough for a while but the sensors are failing and I am advised it might not work beyond this december anyway as the 2G network is being shut down. I have always wanted the ability to see inside the house/garage while away anyway in order to verify if a trigger is an intruder or a false alarm.

The problem is I have no landline nor adsl.

I have found trail cameras which will motion detect and mms me, but they need to be administered individually, as far as I can see.

I have found surveillance systems that will email me, or can operate off a pstn line.

What I would like, in an ideal world, is some sort of base station that can receive signal from wifi ip cameras (or wired if necessary) and where a camera is triggered send a picture or sms to my smartphone to alert me. I would then like to log in to the system and view, possibly get audio, sound a siren etc. Ideally I'd like to activate it easily as I leave the house and disarm it as I return.

There has got to be something that can do this. A pocket wifi has the necessary hardware. I would have thought there would be some sort of embedded device to cover this ?? I just don't know what I'm looking for....

I don't need to record.

Can someone give me a clue ?

Thank you very much for reading.

guzzis3

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi again.

Is there a better place in the forum I should ask my question ?

I've been doing a lot more reading. I think an old android phone could be programmed to do what I want, but I'd prefer not to write the program myself. This is a version of what I want to achieve.

Deploy wifi cameras about the place. When they motion detect capture that image and either sms or mms the image to my mobile phone.

vpn my phone into the wifi lan, from where I can access the cameras using one of the standard android apps.

Arm/disarm the cameras as I leave and return to home, and maybe remotely probably via the vpn.

I would have thought there would be a device to do this but I can't find it anywhere. You should be able to do it with an android smart phone or maybe a PC, although I don't know how to get a PC to send an sms.

Ideally the system would not maintain a 3G connection all the time. Maybe that could be turned on after a motion detection event to let me in. Alternatively all incoming and outgoing connections disabled apart from the VPN connection incoming. That's doable.

Any thoughts at all appreciated.