New member putting together first system

Reaction score
First off, thx to everyone here for the great resources.
I've used them to guide my build decisions and avoid the noob pitfalls.
Refurb PC, Blue Iris software(purchased from here), poe switch, cat 6 cable all arriving soon
Just the cameras to get now.

Going to something like this vari-focal to test various locations around the property to determine exact needs.

But in the meantime, these used cameras popped up locally for 50AUD (35USD) each.
Seems like good value?
Figured I would probably end up needing a couple with these specs anyway.
I will probably have to wall mount due to asbestos panels on the underside of the eaves.
I'll be able to view in person before buying. So will check for UV damage etc (the sun is a harsh mistress here in Western Australia)

Thoughts?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to IPCT! :wave:

Great choice on the IPCT 4MP varifocal...great sensor size for a 4MP, nighttime performance should be terrific.

Dome cams are subject to issues, especially as they age....UV and smog attacks the dome over time, causing dull/foggy images and IR bounce-back. Those you linked are used so likely have a head start on that aging process. And if used in damp, foggy areas they require frequent cleaning, as dust sticks to the dome of even NEW cameras.

Also, their 1/3" sensor is pretty small for a 4MP and night time performance will suffer....but the price may be attractive until you can afford a new turret with a larger sensor. The turret form factor (like the 4MP you linked) is your best choice for under eaves, etc., IMO.

Last edited:

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
But in the meantime, these used cameras popped up locally for 50AUD (35USD) each.
Seems like good value?
For $35 USD each, I'd probably bite. That being said, I would not go crazy and buy a bunch of them. 1-2 is going to be all that you want as they really are inferior cameras. Of course we all have places where we feel comfortable installing cameras like this (which is why I might buy some), but if you buy too many they will end up just sitting around not being used.

Reaction score
For $35 USD each, I'd probably bite. That being said, I would not go crazy and buy a bunch of them. 1-2 is going to be all that you want as they really are inferior cameras. Of course we all have places where we feel comfortable installing cameras like this (which is why I might buy some), but if you buy too many they will end up just sitting around not being used.
Yeah, I was thinking two at most (and picking the best condition ones).
The one use case I was thinking was next to the front door for close ups of who is standing at the front door.
The mount point is back under a porch which would be well sheltered 1.5 metres back from the roof line and would not get any UV at all.
I have a motion activated light nearby, so night time performance wouldn't be an issue.
I can afford better gear but don't like chucking money around unnecessarily. ;)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind that motion sensor lights can be problematic for cameras, especially the cheapo cameras.

Here is usually what happens when a motion activated light comes on - it just about completely blinds the camera right at the moment of optimal opportunity to get the picture. There are 3 deer in this picture and two of them are lost in the blinded white while the camera's exposure adjusts to the rapid change in available light:

1671768557147.png

We have seen some cheapo cameras take 5-15 seconds to adjust to the light difference - a perp is gone in that time.

There are things you can do to try to minimize that bloom and temporary exposure issue, but most here either run with the light on all night or not at all. You would have to experiment and see if it impedes a clean capture.

Reaction score
The hikvision camera weren't selling, so I ended up getting two of them for 25 AUD each. They came out of an indoors installation and domes are nice and clear. Figured I can't go wrong for that price even if I only end up using them to watch a door/pet door/window.

Currently have the board bucket test rig set up and testing with the IPCT 4MP varifocal. Learning a bit and lots to go yet. I haven't even fired up BI yet!

Probably get an Annke NCD800 or equiv as well. I have some tree issues at the front so only have one of two decent mount positions out the front, so the 180 degree camera should work well there.

Reaction score
More reading. Others have bought this same camera from this vendor as discussed here.
It's actually a bit more expensive than it was late last year.

Dadoxy

n3wb
Reaction score
Noob here too! :)

I have two 2Mp cam's (CamHI) and one IMOU Cruiser (wifi) with only an android application.
But now I will take a huge leap and my first order (of course from Andy) is IPC-Color4K-T!
I am currently in Croatia finding the best deal for an FTP Cat6 cable and POE switch.
I've been reading this forum for more than a year and learned a lot! Because of that, I will buy IPC-Color4K-T180 from Andy (until March, 24) better than Hikvision 8Mp.

Reaction score
I looked at the IPC-Color4K-T180, but I'm not keen on the modified aspect ratio and resulting distortion. Hence the Hikivision

restorick2378

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I looked at the IPC-Color4K-T180, but I'm not keen on the modified aspect ratio and resulting distortion. Hence the Hikivision
Take a closer look. The electronic PTX is quite cool and may be worth the price of admission! I just purchase one to test out and I'm digging it so far!