New member intro

BugSTi

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello All,

Just purchased a few IP cams from a vendor on the site, and am getting them set up.

Excited to get the system up and running!

Computer is a brand new I7 4790 3.6GHz with 16GB ram. (500 gb HD, but I have a SSD in the mail)

I have 3 CMIP7432-28M and 3 CMIP9532.

When viewing in the Internet Explorer, I am not able to get good or usable FPS. When plugging into BI, I get .3fps-1, or sometimes no signal.

I am able to view one substream(I believe) on my phone app (ip cam viewer) at a time with useable fps, but when loading more than one, they refresh once every 20-40 seconds.

Cameras are hardwired to a gigabit PoE switch, then to my router.

I am able to see them all in the SADP tool and have configured them. When I go to log in to a camera, (10.0.1.x) it sometimes takes forever to load, even the log in screen. It might take another 20-30 seconds for the image to appear in the live view.

I've tried this on a separate machine (old dell poweredge 2950) and had similar results.

With my current machine, I am getting 1-2% cups usage, most of which comes from IE.

I've played around with FPS settings in the cameras, and been searching this and other forums for help, but have not been able to get a usable video image, so I'm hoping someone can help.

Thank you in advance!

EDIT - milkisbad is top notch. Thanks for assisting tonight!

Last edited by a moderator:

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You're saying that even when watching the cameras in your browser, the FPS is very sluggish?

BugSTi

n3wb
Reaction score
You're saying that even when watching the cameras in your browser, the FPS is very sluggish?
Yeah, milkisbad spent 2 hrs with me trying to diagnose. We think the PoE switch isnt working at gigabit speeds like it should.

With 5 cams plugged in, its 30fps all day. Adding the 6th basically kills all of them.

By plugging the 6th into the router directly, it works fine too.

Awaiting on a new PoE switch to re-test.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, milkisbad spent 2 hrs with me trying to diagnose. We think the PoE switch isnt working at gigabit speeds like it should.

With 5 cams plugged in, its 30fps all day. Adding the 6th basically kills all of them.

By plugging the 6th into the router directly, it works fine too.

Awaiting on a new PoE switch to re-test.
What switch were you using?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Silly question. But you are using Cat5e or Cat6 cable and not at a crazy length? It is possible for one bad cable to disrupt the others.

Glad I bumped this for you :cool:

BugSTi

n3wb
Reaction score
What switch were you using?
A gigabit PoE switch that milkisbad sold me (poe-sw800g)

Silly question. But you are using Cat5e or Cat6 cable and not at a crazy length? It is possible for one bad cable to disrupt the others.

Glad I bumped this for you :cool:
Cat 5e, and the longest run is probably 75-100ft. I left some slack on both ends.

For whatever reason, when 5 cams are plugged into the PoE switch using any ports, the system is fine. (loads in IE quickly, and BI indicates 30fps.) When plugging a 6th cam into the PoE switch, everything drops. We tested by running a 6th cam directly to the router and powered by an external AC adapter. Everything ran fine when configured that way. We tested this twice, so we concluded that the PoE switch was not operating correctly.