New low light camera

dd_d

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a DS-2cd2412F-IW on a shelf looking out a window/IR disabled to watch wildlife in the backyard. Are there any cameras on the market now that can operate with no light or much less light than my old camera requires? I am willing to spend up to 250. Thank you

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a DS-2cd2412F-IW on a shelf looking out a window/IR disabled to watch wildlife in the backyard. Are there any cameras on the market now that can operate with no light or much less light than my old camera requires? I am willing to spend up to 250. Thank you

Hi @dd_d

Numerous better low light cameras out right now, so do look for SouthernYankee's welcome message to new members as he has a good list to look through and consider.

I would start comparisons with a 4MP 1/1.8" sensor Dahua OEM starlight+ model.

FYI - the model you mentioned lead me to this product page:

1593284383447.png

1593284350007.png

dd_d

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi @dd_d

Numerous better low light cameras out right now, so do look for SouthernYankee's welcome message to new members as he has a good list to look through and consider.

I would start comparisons with a 4MP 1/1.8" sensor Dahua OEM starlight+ model.

FYI - the model you mentioned lead me to this product page:

View attachment 64803

View attachment 64802
Yes. I have very little light. This was the best for my purpose at the time. Thank you for the info!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Must it be mounted indoors pointing out? There will be a lot of interference from the window.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
IPC-T5442TM-AS is a good choice. but go with the 3.6mm lens, as that will be closer to your current 4mm lens in terms of view, unless you want a wider FoV
(and accompanying distortion and reduced PPF - pixels-per-foot).

If you must install behind a window, make sure to seal off the lens portion up against the glass to minimize light from within the room interfering.

Any white light (or IR) outside will help wiith night views...

dd_d

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
IPC-T5442TM-AS is a good choice. but go with the 3.6mm lens, as that will be closer to your current 4mm lens in terms of view, unless you want a wider FoV
(and accompanying distortion and reduced PPF - pixels-per-foot).

If you must install behind a window, make sure to seal off the lens portion up against the glass to minimize light from within the room interfering.

Any white light (or IR) outside will help wiith night views...
Any better, lower light camera? I had an outdoor IR lamp, but they do not seem to last long and I hate to turn on the outdoor floods. It keeps the animals away.
Thank you for the tip on the lens. I was wondering which would be best. The camera is in the 3rd floor window of my house.

dd_d

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Any better, lower light camera? I had an outdoor IR lamp, but they do not seem to last long and I hate to turn on the outdoor floods. It keeps the animals away.
Thank you for the tip on the lens. I was wondering which would be best. The camera is in the 3rd floor window of my house.
Any good quality IR lamps? I've gone thru 2 over the years.

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've been getting the JC Infrared lights (JCheng) on Amazon. On some cameras I do the same, keep them inside. Heavy curtains help to keep inside room light from washing out camera picture. I place the IR light in the neighboring window in same room. No spider or bug problems, just glare when sun shines on window.

dd_d

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've been getting the JC Infrared lights (JCheng) on Amazon. On some cameras I do the same, keep them inside. Heavy curtains help to keep inside room light from washing out camera picture. I place the IR light in the neighboring window in same room. No spider or bug problems, just glare when sun shines on window.
Thank you!

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Any better, lower light camera?
Yes, but it's close to splitting hairs at this point, IMO.

You can roughly estimate a camera's low-light performance by using its minimum illumination lux spec (where lower is better):
0.190 lux = your existing camera
0.002 lux = Dahua's 5442 models

As you can see there, the 5442 is a huge jump in terms of low-light sensitivity.

There are 0.001 lux models out there, like the one below. They generally use the same great 4MP 1/1.8" image sensor that most of the other 5442s use, but they have a lens with a bigger aperture. I haven't seen one of these in a turret (eyeball) form yet.
https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/All-Products/Network-Cameras/WizMind-Series/5-Series/Full-color/IPC-HFW5241T-ASE-NI?us

I'm just a little worried that the increased sensitivity on the newer cameras might cause an issue when looking through a glass window.

dd_d

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, but it's close to splitting hairs at this point, IMO.

You can roughly estimate a camera's low-light performance by using its minimum illumination lux spec (where lower is better):
0.190 lux = your existing camera
0.002 lux = Dahua's 5442 models

As you can see there, the 5442 is a huge jump in terms of low-light sensitivity.

There are 0.001 lux models out there, like the one below. They generally use the same great 4MP 1/1.8" image sensor that most of the other 5442s use, but they have a lens with a bigger aperture. I haven't seen one of these in a turret (eyeball) form yet.
https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/All-Products/Network-Cameras/WizMind-Series/5-Series/Full-color/IPC-HFW5241T-ASE-NI?us

I'm just a little worried that the increased sensitivity on the newer cameras might cause an issue when looking through a glass window.
Thank you for the very useful info. The camera I have works pretty well for me. I just like to see what wildlife was in the backyard overnight. Although I must say I would love to have a camera that would catch the huge owl I have. He is just a blur flying by with the current set up.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
He is just a blur flying by with the current set up.
If you haven't run across it already, there's some great image tuning info in this thread.
Common issues with camera image | IP Cam Talk

My guess is that increasing the shutter speed will help reduce the blur on the owl. The tradeoff is that increased shutter speeds lower the amount of light in the image, ... this may be a good situation where one the newer low-light cameras help out ... since they collect a lot more light to start with, losing some because of a higher shutter speed may not be as impactful.

dd_d

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you haven't run across it already, there's some great image tuning info in this thread.
Common issues with camera image | IP Cam Talk

My guess is that increasing the shutter speed will help reduce the blur on the owl. The tradeoff is that increased shutter speeds lower the amount of light in the image, ... this may be a good situation where one the newer low-light cameras help out ... since they collect a lot more light to start with, losing some because of a higher shutter speed may not be as impactful.
Great thread! Thank you