New installation advice

ibrouting

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Nice machine... Really nice. Your processors are either E5-2667v2 (130W TDP) or E5-2650v2 (95W TDP) with 24 DIMM slots: a beast! The health monitoring is a function of the built-in iLO Management Engine; there's a separate port on the back for that.

Option C becomes sell the beast and buy yourself a brand new desktop; very desirable piece.
I may choose option c before it is all over. I love the server and it is very well appointed, but would be better off hosting a slew of VM's for someone. Like I mentioned above, I can get broken screen i5 laptops all day long for cheap and just make them headless units with a built in battery backup!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I may choose option c before it is all over. I love the server and it is very well appointed, but would be better off hosting a slew of VM's for someone. Like I mentioned above, I can get broken screen i5 laptops all day long for cheap and just make them headless units with a built in battery backup!
Laptops have several issues.
1) cannot hold a 3.5 drive...local storage is best.
2) many cannot auto restart after power is back on
3) easily removed from the premises...and something that is often taken during a burglary...desktops are generally left alone.
4) depending on your load, may not have sufficient power....

ibrouting

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Laptops have several issues.
1) cannot hold a 3.5 drive...local storage is best.
2) many cannot auto restart after power is back on
3) easily removed from the premises...and something that is often taken during a burglary...desktops are generally left alone.
4) depending on your load, may not have sufficient power....
Fenderman, do you have any expierience with the Intel NUC? Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i5SYH

I paired it with a TP Link 8 port PoE and ran the Cat5E cables today for the three cameras. It has 16GB RAM and a 256GB SSD and I have two USB 3.0 drive to save data off to.
Sufficient?

ibrouting

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK, so I have the starlight up that was suggested and have the Intel NUC with 16GB of RAM and a 512GB SSD with a 4TB Internal drive for storage. My problem is not my field that I have to cover. The Starlight was great for the driveway and pool area but overlooking a field that is 200yds long and 100 yds wide is a bit of a challenge. I don't need to see faces at 200yds, but it would be nice to zoom in if need be. Also, the field is on the southern facing side of my property so I am worried about glare.

I am considering this one: Aliexpress.com : Buy Dahua 2MP Full HD WDR Network IR Starlight Bullet Camera IPC HFW5231E Z12,free DHL shipping from Reliable bullet camera suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd but am worried about the width of picture. Anyone have an opinion on how to best achieve this?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK, so I have the starlight up that was suggested and have the Intel NUC with 16GB of RAM and a 512GB SSD with a 4TB Internal drive for storage. My problem is not my field that I have to cover. The Starlight was great for the driveway and pool area but overlooking a field that is 200yds long and 100 yds wide is a bit of a challenge. I don't need to see faces at 200yds, but it would be nice to zoom in if need be. Also, the field is on the southern facing side of my property so I am worried about glare.

I am considering this one: Aliexpress.com : Buy Dahua 2MP Full HD WDR Network IR Starlight Bullet Camera IPC HFW5231E Z12,free DHL shipping from Reliable bullet camera suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd but am worried about the width of picture. Anyone have an opinion on how to best achieve this?
Hi Ibrouting,

One camera is often not enough.

IF you have to pick one camera... this is the ONE!
SD10A248V-HNI PTZ

ibrouting

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Si
The field you are trying to monitor sounds a bit like my back yard size wise. I think your gonna need a ptz or multiple cams to really cover it. I just ordered that cam you are referring to but don't have them yet. I read on here that the zoom lens on it is not really meant for zooming at free will, its meant to zoom to the image you want and then leave it. If you use it all the time it could wear out. Thats what I heard anyways.
Since the field is a rough rectangle, I could put one at each corner of the house and have overlapping fields of view? I can afford one now and it will be after Christmas before the second one is affordable. I was hoping for one camera with a wide field of view.

ibrouting

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What are u looking to see? If u just wanna know if something is back there maybe some lower quality cams would work so u could buy 2. At that distance im not sure ir light is gonna pick up much anyways.
We have streetlights down one side of the street so it wouldn't be a low light type of deal. I would LOVE to do ptz, but I understand that is a bit pricey.