New Install Camera Identification conundrum

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just installed BI on a new computer after a HD failure and realized I also lost my note file which listed the IP addresses and names for each my dozen or so cameras. :banghead:
So now I have no idea what any of the camera's IP addresses are for any of my cameras for setup and if I had a list, I don't know which IP is for which camera.
So I am starting with a blank slate in BI.
How can I find out the IP addresses of every camera to set them up?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Open up CMD as administrator

type in the following:

arp -a

hit enter and up will come the IP addresses connected.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
And there they are!...

I do not have this many cameras so I assume this is everything like TV's IP phone, etc.
So, I guess, just start entering them in one at a time in BI w a generic name and see if it connects and what shows up then rename?

1711060373540.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If they are all Dahua OEM cams, using the config tool may show just the cameras?

Or go into the router and see if it has labeled any of these to help cross some off the list?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Installed the Dahua Config tool and it ID'd 6 of them!
Thanks!

What do you typically select form Make \Model when adding cameras?
I can select Dahua for those cams but then most of them have ever been listed specifically. So keep the default MS RSTP selection?

1711061409230.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most of us simply type in the IP address, username and password and then hit the find/inspect button and let BI find the correct one.

For example if you want to use camera IVS, that option you posted won't pull IVS triggers over.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I do want to start using the caera's IVS this go around.
So I'll try just leaving the settings on the defaults
1711063776740.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep that is what most of my cams come in at.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Does Dahua config tool only find Dahua camera? s...apparently

diver165

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That's why I have my cameras on static IPs. I have a set range for my cameras so I know where to start looking. For example 192.168.0.0xx and my Blue Iris Server sits at a static IP as well. Everything else in the house with the exception of my printer is DHCP. It just makes things way easier to track down if something happens.

quest100

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That's why I have my cameras on static IPs. I have a set range for my cameras so I know where to start looking. For example 192.168.0.0xx and my Blue Iris Server sits at a static IP as well. Everything else in the house with the exception of my printer is DHCP. It just makes things way easier to track down if something happens.
I go one step further and place the cameras and the BI PC on a separate subnet. Everything on this subnet is static. Firewall rules allow the BI PC to have normal access off the subnet and the cameras can access a couple of specific computers and a NAS in another subnet. All other access to or from this subnet is dropped by the firewall.

In the separate subnet a computer is setup with Firefox bookmarks for each camera. The name for each bookmark is the same as its name in BI. That way I can easily access any camera directly or I can open the enclosing folder so that I have one tab open for each camera. The later is very useful when I want to double check a particular setting on every camera.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wow, thanks. A lot of great ideas for keeping track once I get them sorted this time.
I like the static IP and subnet concept @quest100 100 and @diver165 suggested but do not know how to do any of that yet, so I'll do some googling on the topic.

I appreciate the tips and direction!