New house camera install

jsholtz

n3wb
Reaction score
So another newbie installing a camera system...yup, here goes:
I'm building a house and want to install a basic camera system. The house is on 12 acres and has a 1200' gravel drive - one way in and out. I've attached the drawing of the main floor with what I think would be good camera locations to watch the entrances of the house. Camera 1 covering the man door to garage, camera 2 doorbell cam, camera 3 covering front door/porch, camera 4 covering exterior door in breezeway (added - does not show up on plans), camera 5 is inside covering both back doors, and camera 6 is inside covering both back doors to the walk-out basement. I don't necessarily want to cover every single window, just some basic coverage of my exterior doors. I'm open to suggestions for better locations.
I've already pulled some shielded CAT6a wire to computer and TV locations and am ready to pull these camera runs. I plan to run a POE switch in a dedicated AV room under the stairs. I've got a desktop computer that I built to run a PLEX server and also a Blue Iris server for these cams. Computer specs: Intel core i5-8400 (QS support), 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD drive for windows 10/programs, 3 4TB NAS drives in RAID 5 (appears as one 8TB drive) for media storage. PLEX server has been up and running for about 4 months now.
I've read a lot of posts and the camera fundamentals doc and the ipcamtalk cliffs notes so far - it's a mountain of info to digest! I think the Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE is the camera to use for the outdoor cameras (maybe inside too?), but I'm really looking for guidance here too.
I guess I'd just like to get some expert help so I don't screw stuff up. Thanks ahead of time!

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So another newbie installing a camera system...yup, here goes:
I'm building a house and want to install a basic camera system. The house is on 12 acres and has a 1200' gravel drive - one way in and out...
I've read a lot of posts and the camera fundamentals doc and the ipcamtalk cliffs notes so far - it's a mountain of info to digest! I think the Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE is the camera to use for the outdoor cameras (maybe inside too?), but I'm really looking for guidance here too.
I guess I'd just like to get some expert help so I don't screw stuff up. Thanks ahead of time!
Welcome jsholtz,

Looks like a sweet home you are planning to build.

When cabling plan for a LOT more cameras and connected devices. I only saw locations #1,3-7.

Remember installing cabling before the drywall gets up is very affordable and easy to do compared to afterwards, so over cabling is a good strategy.

Definitely go over the notes well, and let us know if anything in the notes need fixing or addressing.

Once the framing is up do a site survey and start testing your potential locations for cameras. During this time it would be useful to have one varifocal camera for testing.

Also, remember to consider installing a couple of cameras / intercom devices by your front of your property if you plan to have a gate and/or mail box on the road.

jsholtz

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome jsholtz,

Looks like a sweet home you are planning to build.

When cabling plan for a LOT more cameras and connected devices. I only saw locations #1,3-7.

Remember installing cabling before the drywall gets up is very affordable and easy to do compared to afterwards, so over cabling is a good strategy.

Definitely go over the notes well, and let us know if anything in the notes need fixing or addressing.

Once the framing is up do a site survey and start testing your potential locations for cameras. During this time it would be useful to have one varifocal camera for testing.

Also, remember to consider installing a couple of cameras / intercom devices by your front of your property if you plan to have a gate and/or mail box on the road.
How about camera selection for those placements? Do I need a PTZ somewhere? Those indoor cameras - should I use the same Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE cameras I plan to use outside? Suggestions for something else?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How about camera selection for those placements? Do I need a PTZ somewhere? Those indoor cameras - should I use the same Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE cameras I plan to use outside? Suggestions for something else?
Hi Jsholtz,

PTZ are nice to have, however often multiple fixed cameras are better in terms of unmanned coverage. ( that is a unmanned PTZ "is never pointed in the right direction" )

It maybe a good idea to pick up a IPC-HDW5231R-ZE, power source, and perhaps a PFA130-E junction box and start playing with it. This will give you a better idea of what you may want to do.

For indoors I like the Dahua OEM mini-dome wedge models, as they are smaller and thus more "wife friendly". Since you are building your place you may even be able to make a "cubby" or hidden cabinet like setup to hide a larger camera.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can, but they have many different form factors to choose from. In a new install, something like the
IPC-HDB4231G-AS is recessed and very small visible face.
But really I suggest you go here: http://www.dahuasecurity.com/ select international for the site.
to see the different form factors. Do so on a real computer, not your phone.
Be sure to note the product selector on the right side of the page.