Known around here
Reaction score

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score

MrRobinHood

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Oh right, I swear when I was recommended pass through I was told the tool was slightly different. Perhaps it's just the ability to cut the wires at the same time as crimping that differentiates them?

Justin Blackburn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That’s correct. A normal RJ45 crisper will crimp a pass through connector. You have to take a razor knife afterwards to trim the ends. Cat 5 and cat 6 can all be crimped on the same tool. I don’t prefer pass through, but for someone who doesn’t do hundreds or thousands, it’s likely the easiest end to put on. I have read reviews where pass through tools have trouble crimping non pass through RJ45s. This is due to connector design and the razor that’s built into the crimper.

One thing I haven’t seen mentioned(maybe I overlooked it) is the rating of the cable. You need riser or plenum rated cable most likely depending on your situation if you are running in an attic. This has to do with the toxic fumes the pvc jacket will give off if you have a fire.

I personally would not want to pull cat5 for some things and cat6 for others. While it may save you some money, it seems like a chore to keep straight and 1 box of cat 6 will go along way.

I do a lot of data work for my job(Industrial Electrician). Anymore we pull Cat6A to everything. A house really doesn’t need Cat6A but if you want the latest and greatest that’s the route to take. The difference between cat6 and Cat6A is a plastic spline that runs the length of the cable and separates each pair from each other. You also get a plastic piece that goes in the connector to keep each pair separate as much as possible in the connector.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
.. . The difference between cat6 and Cat6A is a plastic spline that runs the length of the cable and separates each pair from each other. You also get a plastic piece that goes in the connector to keep each pair separate as much as possible in the connector.
FYI - the Monoprice Cat6 i picked up in the past included that plastic spline to keep the pairs separated and twisting

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
My 5mp cameras connects at 100mbps. Cat5e is plenty even for a 50mp camera.
Yeah what I didn't make clear above is Cat5e is only ever going to become a limiter in the link between pc and poe switch. If the poe is externally mounted it's a could be in the distant future, but unlikely unless you have huge numbers of cameras. If the poe is internal, then all you need worry about is the length from pc to poe. Even then it's unlikely. In the poe link to every camera, every camera has it's own Cat5e cable which means 1Gbs for every camera. I doubt we'll be seeing in camera 1Gb data rates any time soon.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Boy, they really soak you guys over in the UK
We always get bent over. Trouble is over there, you guys won't buy somethign expensive. Over here the attitude is if you need it buy it and buying something expensive is seen as many as a badge of honour, kind of showing off yiou've got the money, so UK people pretty much pay anything for anything if they can afford it.

The only discount trend over here is on food with the discount stores Aldi & Lidl.

Sphinxicus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
buying something expensive is seen as many as a badge of honour, kind of showing off yiou've got the money, so UK people pretty much pay anything for anything if they can afford it.

The only discount trend over here is on food with the discount stores Aldi & Lidl.
100% - Same in Ireland. Before they started taxing plastic bags. If your "better" half asked you to grab a plastic bag out of the "shit" drawer (every kitchen in the UK & Ireland has one ;)), if you pulled out a discount stores bag (Netto, Aldi, Lidl etc), you might receive a very disapproving stare followed up with, "im not taking THAT bag, there should be a Marks & Spencer bag in there, get that one"

considerably richer than you

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Are we showing off our fancy plastic bags now? :D

I like to keep my Tesco one hidden at the back, then show off my 3 (yes you read that right, 3!) Waitrose ones at the front.

Never fails to get a few nods of approval when company comes over.

View attachment 117574
You get that one for Christmas with a present in it?

Bet it was like being a kid again where the box is worth more than the present. :lol:

It's tough in Nottingham. Some git keeps robbing off the rich and giving it away to the poor....

cdogg44

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the replies. I ended up ordering bulk cable. What sold us were the newer pass through ends. So I also got a new crimper and ends.

We also decided the Cat6/Cat5 split would be more headache than anything. We really need over 1000' of 6 and less for 5 so we just ordered it all Cat6.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the replies. I ended up ordering bulk cable. What sold us were the newer pass through ends. So I also got a new crimper and ends.

We also decided the Cat6/Cat5 split would be more headache than anything. We really need over 1000' of 6 and less for 5 so we just ordered it all Cat6.
fwiw - I like to make pulls easier .. so I get as many pull boxes as lines I plan to typically run

MrRobinHood

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

You left out the most important info - what colour did you get?