New Hikvision NVR Replacement

Defcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Moving my DS-7608NI-E2/8P on to my sisters new setup so looking for a replacement Hikvision as all my cams are Hikvision.

I have 3x3MP & 3x4MP cams. Looking to add more cams but I am getting the feeling I need the 16ch NVR.

I see there are 4K NVR's now with different model numbers such as I2,I4,K2,K4 etc. Only thing that stands out is the bandwidth and obviously the storage capacity. What's the best way to determine which of these models would fit my job? The bandwidth requirement is a puzzle.

Does one need to worry about the outgoing bandwidth?

One thing I noticed with my existing NVR are the 3MP cams are more realtime than the 4MP cams. As cams increase in MP, is this going to be an expected issue with NVR's? Having H.265 cams have any bearing in sorting this or is H.265 only beneficial to storage?

Thanks for reading.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'd avoid buying china region Hikvision gear (especially for your NVR), get something from LTS (re-branded hikvision) instead.

If you look at this one as an example: 16 Channel NVR with 1U Case, LTN8716-P8
it's 16 channels and says it has 160Mbps incoming bandwidth this means the sum of the bandwidth of your 16 cams has to be under 160Mbps. h.265 uses less space and bandwidth than h.264, but cams and nvr most support it.

The newer 4k models like this: Platinum Professional Plus Level 16 Channel 4K NVR 1U - NVRs
are more desirable for many reasons including support for newer codecs.

The outgoing bandwidth applies to mostly to viewing the cameras on other devices, but other activities use this bw too, emailing, writing to ftp/nas, iscsi (if supported), and so on.

Last edited: