New here!

Heyok

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi,

My name is Al and I am new here.
I work as an electronics technician in the broadcast field, looking after radio and TV station maintenance and construction. I have a side business where I build custom electronics for remote control hobby cars / trucks etc.

I came to this forum as I want to get more out of my Blue Iris system.

Security cameras became a great interest to me after my dog caught a guy that had broken into my Jeep. My analog Hikvision system showed me how this creep was all over my backyard and then how he had a nap in my Jeep. We managed to wrestle the guy to the ground and hold him until the police could take over.
I'll find the video and post it if any are interested.

Reading about better home video security, I became very interested in Blue Iris. I've been using Blue Iris since October 2020.
I enjoy all the capabilities it gives me but I still have a whole lot to learn.
Some weeks ago I had it stop triggering on a camera and today I happened to read about rolling back to a previous version that seems to work for most people. It's working!
Soon I will get back to researching more and try and get the Deepstack features to work.
I'll make a post or two in the Camera Captures section and then get to reading all I can to see where I can improve on my setup.

Cheers,
Al

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

My comment regarding DeepStack is to use the GPU version if you have a CUDA capable NVidia card hanging around. Much more reliable and responsive than the CPU version.

Heyok

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank you.
The computer I am using just has video on the motherboard. I run it headless (no monitor).

Is it worth it to get a CUDA capable NVidia card? I really don't know where to start.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You can try the CPU version and see how it works out. With a few cameras running DeepStack detection times get quite long and DeepStack will time out, "100" error. A Quadro 400 or better will work with Deepstack and is still affordable in the $100-$150 range, especially compared to the higher end RTX series at well over $500 and on up to a couple of thousand bucks.

Heyok

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You can try the CPU version and see how it works out. With a few cameras running DeepStack detection times get quite long and DeepStack will time out, "100" error. A Quadro 400 or better will work with Deepstack and is still affordable in the $100-$150 range, especially compared to the higher end RTX series at well over $500 and on up to a couple of thousand bucks.
Thanks - I will dig into this. Looking on amazon.ca (I'm from Canada), they range from Just under $900 to as low as about $175 (but not in stock). Prices seem a little crazy!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, prices of everything are more than a little crazy. The video cards are being hit with chip and other supply chain shortages as well as "bots" snapping them up as soon as they become available and re-selling them at higher prices. Maybe check eBay.