New Here and some system setup questions..

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - cat6 ..

do not get CCA, get good quality copper wire ..

we have various threads here on this subject.

Magna86

n3wb
Reaction score
I picked up the Cat 6 wire from Lowes I referenced in this thread and ran cable for 7 cameras. I decided against the high cameras because not really useful and I couldnt access those areas from attic area. Finally got ahold of Cox to get the buildout started for internet to come to my house. Now to figure out what type for the wall or will just have them stick out of the wall. The goal is to mount a cabinet on the wall for NVR or PC.

Snapper30

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Welcome from another Tidewater member! Lots of great info here.

+1 on the conduit between floors for future expansion. So much easier and cheaper to install cables now, but if you are running out of time to pull cables before the insulation/drywall crews show up, conduit runs can help reduce frustration and drywall patching in the future. Also consider a conduit stub-out for possible external security/surveillance devices (like to the end of the driveway) or to the shop if it is detached.

Good luck with Cox. Hopefully you can run the service and have the demarc close to your network closet or main electronics area. My demarc is on the side of the attached garage and the cables run up the wall to the attic, over to the other side of the house, then down into a first floor closet with a horizontal stretch between floors for good measure.

Additional suggestion is to take pics of your buried utilities with measurements from good reference points that won't move, like the house or corners of the shop. 811 is good but a measured survey of the property is so much better.