new guy to security cameras. i am here to get help/info

pmalavolti

n3wb
Reaction score
I am looking into a security camera system for my home. In doing research, I stumbled across this site. I work for my local sheriffs department as a Corrections Officer. Here lately I've been hearing chatter amongst my customers that there is some activity in my area. So I am wanting a set up where I could positively I.D. a person from about 30ft away. I thought I could just get a 4k system and be good to go. I was wrong. Hopefully this group will help me learn what I need to protect my Home or find the person that attempts to invade it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome!

As you will find, chasing MP usually results in poor performance.

Take a look at this thread that show the importance of focal length over MP, along with the commonly suggested cameras for the distance one wants to IDENTIFY at. These camera recommendations represent the best value in terms of cost and performance day and night. As you will see, in some instances the 2MP is the better camera.

Reaction score
Welcome!

Please read through the WIKI and the Cliff Notes here. There is a lot of good info there.

Check out this thread on some of the current tech.

EmpireTech Device Guide video and Manual WEB5.0 | IP Cam Talk

This tread shows what you can expect from off the shelf consumer products:

This thread covers views of a person entering the property and how different cams captured him. It also covers which cams were used.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
:welcome:

Read, learn, ask questions, it is OK to start with a single cam.

All my research and valuable input I received led me to Dahua (or Dahua OEM rebrands Empire Tech) and Blue Iris purchased from the IPCamtalk store.

The Dahua 5442 in my opinion is kind of the Swiss Army Knife of cameras.