New Guy Here and Thanks for Having Me

Lawnboy1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for allowing me to be a part of the forum. Although this is my first post as a new member, I have been around in the background for a while now. I do more reading than posting and usually find the answers to my questions that way. I'm not a professional IT person or installer. I simply wanted a good non out of the box surveillance system that I could build, install, tinker around with and make better along the way. So far my system consists of 10 Amcrest POE cameras: some 2MP, 5MP, 8MP and a Doorbell cam. I run the latest version of Blue Iris and DeepStacl on a server built with a MSI B360 mobo, Intel i5(not sure of gen right now) 4x8Gigs @32Gigs G-Skills Ripjaw Ram, 250Gig M.2 card, two 4TB Western Digital Purple hard drives, EVGA Bronze 500 watt power supply, all Noctua fans and Noctua CPU Cooler all in a Rosewill rack mounted server case. I also use the Blue Iris app for mobile access and Zero Tier One for connection. There may be something that I forgot to mention, but this is pretty much what I have. And it works pretty good. My CPU usage stays around 17%. RAM usage seems to hover around 45% though. Storage usage varies as I have all door cams and front cams recording continually in 1hr blocks that dump after a certain amount of time. I have an old EVGA 1060 Graphics card sitting around that I want to use with Deep Stack but, I have to get up to speed on that more. Again, thanks for having me in the group and I look forward to learning from you.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Welcome. I joined after being bamboozled with a Costco "nightowl" piece of crap.
I knew nothing really, and have learned a lot. I like that you built your own Rack mounted computer setup.
I'm using a rack. but the PC is on a rack shelf. small form factor HP. 8th gen i5.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for allowing me to be a part of the forum. Although this is my first post as a new member, I have been around in the background for a while now. I do more reading than posting and usually find the answers to my questions that way. I'm not a professional IT person or installer. I simply wanted a good non out of the box surveillance system that I could build, install, tinker around with and make better along the way. So far my system consists of 10 Amcrest POE cameras: some 2MP, 5MP, 8MP and a Doorbell cam. I run the latest version of Blue Iris and DeepStacl on a server built with a MSI B360 mobo, Intel i5(not sure of gen right now) 4x8Gigs @32Gigs G-Skills Ripjaw Ram, 250Gig M.2 card, two 4TB Western Digital Purple hard drives, EVGA Bronze 500 watt power supply, all Noctua fans and Noctua CPU Cooler all in a Rosewill rack mounted server case. I also use the Blue Iris app for mobile access and Zero Tier One for connection. There may be something that I forgot to mention, but this is pretty much what I have. And it works pretty good. My CPU usage stays around 17%. RAM usage seems to hover around 45% though. Storage usage varies as I have all door cams and front cams recording continually in 1hr blocks that dump after a certain amount of time. I have an old EVGA 1060 Graphics card sitting around that I want to use with Deep Stack but, I have to get up to speed on that more. Again, thanks for having me in the group and I look forward to learning from you.
Welcome @Lawnboy1

Good to have you onboard ..

Lawnboy1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Welcome. I joined after being bamboozled with a Costco "nightowl" piece of crap.
I knew nothing really, and have learned a lot. I like that you built your own Rack mounted computer setup.
I'm using a rack. but the PC is on a rack shelf. small form factor HP. 8th gen i5.
I built it and worked on it at least a dozen times. I was having problems with long HDMI runs. As a matter of fact I burned one port on my HDMI board because of that. I tried amplified cables and HDMI over Ethernet. None worked. I finally bought and optical HDMI cable that worked perfect. As far as the server goes, I've been building my own PC for a while and had most of the parts laying around. I only wished I bought a 4U chassis initially. Especially since I want to add a graphics card to the mix. I ended up ordering one which should be here any day now. I'll simply move everything from the 2U chassis to the larger one, add the EVGA 1060TX card and then load Deep Stack for GPU. I made my own Ethernet cables which was pretty awesome! And I didn't skimp on memory (32Gigs) and other internal parts for the server. I don't use noisy fans either. Noctua fans only for me. I do, however, wish I had a modular power supply to cut down on the excess cabling.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lawnboy1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Attachments