New Camera Recomendation

SD002

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I have posted. I am working on setting up a small(4-5) camera system in a small convenient store my family owns. I have already checked the Wiki, but was unable to find any solid information. The last cams I purchased were the 2MP starlight IPC-HDW5231R-Z, which are working perfectly in a completely different system than im currently setting up. Current project will require 4-5 cams installed indoors on a drop ceiling(guessing 9-10' ceiling height) aimed in different directions and at the cash register. Also potentially putting a mini dome(or similar) at the entrance/exit to capture faces. My question-Are there any newer recommended cameras that would be better suited that going with IPC-HDW5231R-Z? I would ideally like varifocal as I do not want to try to calculate lenses. I see a lot of the newer cams have LED lights instead of IR. I do not want to keep bright LED's on at night. Cameras would be used in identifying anyone who breaks in after hours in the dark as well as shoplifters during the day. I tried to provide enough info so someone might be able to point me in the right direction.
Thanks in advance!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The 3241 has replaced the 5231 and is less expensive while performing slightly better. If you want even better low light performance, the 5442 series is an excellent performer. The mini domes are still about the same, to my knowledge.

3241T-ZAS Review

eview-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ Turret
Ths camera is also available in a varifocal turret form factor.

SD002

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It does look like the 5442 is much better than the 3241 with not too much of a price difference(from a quick search). Being indoors trying to get an overall view of a store, is there a default focal lens I could go with instead of a varifocal? Its a pretty small store so I am not looking for distance. It looks like the varifocal part number would be IPC-HDW5442T-ZE, but if anyone can say for sure that I can go with a set focal lens I'll go that route to save a little bit of cash. If so, what lens would be recommended?
Thanks!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't think anyone can say, with any certainty, what lenses would work without knowing all the distances and angles involved. The turrets come in 2.8, 3.6 and 6mm fixed focal lengths. If you have a look at IPVM camera calculator, link in the Wiki, you can probably get a good idea.

In terms of purchase, contact Andy who is here on IPCT. He's an excellent source for Dahua, and some Hikvision, cameras, has an excellent reputation and offers a discount to IPCT members.

Email
Andy Wang kingsecurity2014@163.com

He also has an Amazon store
Andy's Store

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
The 5442 series is the current go-to cam that the 5231 was two years ago. It does come in bullet and dome form factors.
I have two fixed turret 5442's. One in 6mm and the other in 2.8mm. Here are two shots to give you an idea of FOV.

2.8mm: PFD.20201016_135753030_1.jpg

6mm:InkedDRRT.20201101_135903381_1_LI.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@samplenhold - how far away is the person from the camera in that shot? Looks like a great image for a 2.8mm

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow - I am always impressed with your pictures - I can never seem to get mine to look that clean and I have many of the same cams you do.

SD002

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Those do produce a great picture. I think I'm going to go with the 5442's for the main cameras. I am also thinking about going with the 4mp mini dome by the entrance/exit at face level to get a good face recognition. Are the 4mp mini domes any good? Better recommendations? Thanks everyone!

Reaction score
I was referring to the IPC-HDBW2431F-AS-S2
I use their older cousins, the HDBW4231FP-AS, at my front door. I have three there in 3.6mm. The HDBW4231FP-AS mini wedge is 2MP on a 1/2.8" sensor with a min illumination of 0.009 Lux @ F2.0, while the 2431 is a 4MP on a 1/3" sensor with a min illumination of 0.008 Lux @ F1.6. I do not know which would give better low light color performance. The 2431 is twice the pixels on a smaller sensor, but the sensor is different/newer.

I am happy with the 4231 at night but I have plenty of light at the front door and on the porch.

FDLH.20201017_124623541_1.jpg FDLH.20200507_195658_1.jpg

SD002

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I use their older cousins, the HDBW4231FP-AS, at my front door. I have three there in 3.6mm. The HDBW4231FP-AS mini wedge is 2MP on a 1/2.8" sensor with a min illumination of 0.009 Lux @ F2.0, while the 2431 is a 4MP on a 1/3" sensor with a min illumination of 0.008 Lux @ F1.6. I do not know which would give better low light color performance. The 2431 is twice the pixels on a smaller sensor, but the sensor is different/newer.

I am happy with the 4231 at night but I have plenty of light at the front door and on the porch.

View attachment 76864 View attachment 76863

I also have a HDBW4231FP-AS running in a different location than I'm planning a setup for now. I just didn't know if the new one was an improvement over the old one in low light applications. The search doesn't really bring up anything as far as a comparison

SD002

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here is a photo of where I'm thinking about putting a IPC-E3541F-AS-M in 2.6 focal length. I don't have much surface area to mount to at face height, but it could be done. Do I mount it down low or just above the door as marked in red. I am also standing against a wall taking the photo. Another option would be to put a camera on the door with a higher focal length to capture faces as people walk in the door. Any thoughts?

SD002

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here is a photo of where I'm thinking about putting a IPC-E3541F-AS-M in 2.6 focal length. I don't have much surface area to mount to at face height, but it could be done. Do I mount it down low or just above the door as marked in red. I am also standing against a wall taking the photo. Another option would be to put a camera on the door with a higher focal length to capture faces as people walk in the door. Any thoughts?

Attachments

Reaction score
Do I mount it down low or just above the door as marked in red
Your install will be harder than most residential situations. Since this is the inside of a store, you have to consider how things in a store get moved around as time goes on. Like the cooler to the right of the door. When you do decide where to mount it, think about how displays could end up covering it. Or customers blocking it at a critical time. Or kids smearing their grubby hands over the lens as they walk out. In residential situations we always say that cams do not get messed with much. But the difference here is the traffic. You will have a LOT of folks walking by the cam.

No matter what, use a test rig as described in the Cliff Notes to determine the best location. A second overlapping camera would be a smart idea.

DWinters1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The 5442 TM-AS is a great camera. I've got the 2.8mm version and got a great viewing angle and perfect night image