New Camera Install - Ideas Wanted

markthr

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am building a house that my family will use some on weekends but mostly it’ll be rented out For short periods at a time. I am having the builders add cat6 drops to the front door and back door. Those are the only two places that I plan on having cameras at this point as I only want to see who comes/goes and make sure renters are able to get in/out.

I currently have Laview at my home and it’s ok. I think there are probably better, more user friendly choices out there but I am not sure which people would recommend? I also have some Ring cameras that aren’t very good and I read the guidlines here that stated no cloud cams, no Ring, etc.

Easy button would be to just add a the smalles Laview NVR, a Ubiquiti POE switch (for these cams and other stuff within the house) and whatever cameras and call it a day but since it’s a brand new solution, the house hasn’t been framed yet, I thought I would ask opinions.

I saw a few install pics here recently for front doors that looked great and I can’t find them now. I am not a pro at this, just know enough to get by, so any ideas would be appreciated.

Here’s a pic of the floor plan. I have put blue X’s at the location and only plan on putting one camera, at roughly 5ft (I know people say 6-8ft, but wouldn’t it be ok at roughly eye level for most people?).

1599413756798.jpeg
In my explorations, it seems like a dome that’s mounted on the wall would be good, something like the below (not that that is a dome, but location and mount style is what I’m thinking of):
1599413869719.jpeg

Perhaps the Hik NVR: DS-7604NI-Q1/4P and then maybe DS-2CD2543G0-IS-2-8mm? I noticed that Axis has some nice flush mounts but they don’t appear to be outdoor. They both will be under a porch. The front faces north/northwest and the back faces south/southeast.

Lastly, one other possible thing that I might add, is, a camera at the peak of the back of the house facing the lake. I was considering that to be something that helps me market the place when I rent it and provide a public link to that camera to see the view. Just wondering if there’s a camera that people have used for something like that or if any pano camera would work, just have to figure out the public link.

So, if you had a new house being built, two entrances, and wanted to cover them in an obvious way (not trying to hide the cameras), what would you choose?

Thanks in advance!