New Blue Iris Trigger Option Debate

Village Guy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I believe we can all agree that the developers of Blue Iris have been and are doing an amazing job of keeping the the program at the leading edge of security surveillance.

That said and I speak as a fully paid up subscriber for updates, I am disappointed that despite several requests by both myself and others we have been unable to get Ken the author to implement additional video trigger options.

Presently we are limited to 5 choices that all store video even upon a miss trigger. Now that AI has come of age and has now been implemented within blue Iris, surely it is time for a discussion regarding the addition of perhaps two more trigger modes. For example Trigger on AI and Trigger Externally.

1617537402461.png

By adopting these additional trigger options those of us that do not want to record unqualified triggers would be able to do away with using cloned cameras to resolve the issue. Trigger on AI could be used for triggering internal Blue Iris AI qualified events and Trigger Externally could be used by AITool.

Ken has advised me that the reason for not offering this feature is to avoid missing events and that the program has not be developed with this feature capability. IMHO both reasons are quite weak to me especially when we see how quickly Ken implements new functionality.

The purpose of this post is to discuss and find out how many users would like the option to only record video on AI qualified events.
Personally I can see a case for all scenarios with Continuous being favoured by commercial security applications and AI Qualified for a large number of domestic applications that would prefer restrict storage requirements.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Understand that ken is not the private programmer for the 5-20 people that want this function. Therefore you should not be "disappointed". You have been spoiled by his willingness to quickly add functions that users request. If he says he doesnt want to implement it then he wont. He is 100 percent correct that it would cause you to miss a significant amount of video and I assure you that at least one of those missed events are going to be the event that you need. Only a fool would trigger on what we know is way less than perfect ai.

Village Guy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Understand that ken is not the private programmer for the 5-20 people that want this function. Therefore you should not be "disappointed". You have been spoiled by his willingness to quickly add functions that users request. If he says he doesnt want to implement it then he wont. He is 100 percent correct that it would cause you to miss a significant amount of video and I assure you that at least one of those missed events are going to be the event that you need. Only a fool would trigger on what we know is way less than perfect ai.
That was whole point of opening the debate to see if there are only 5-20 peeps that want the facility. Judging by the feedback versus reads of the thread I suspect you are right!

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
What I think might be better is to have the options within Alerts to only alert if externally triggered for example?

So for example I have a cam watching my garden, within BI I have it setup to record on motion only as I don’t need continuous. I then also have IVS setup in the cam to trigger BI externally. Currently the only way to do this is to clone the cam and have one recording on BI motion detection with no alerts and then the clone triggering and alert from IVS rules.

if there was an option to Alert on external trigger then I could combine the cams and the recordings?

Maybe there might be a way of doing already but currently I end up with some duplicate recordings.

Judman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would just like to add that, while the Deepstacks AI is miles ahead of your basic motion detection set-up it is not infallible and can absolutely miss events. 24/7 recording is still recommended vs motion (or AI) based recording.

I don't think that is going to change for a long time. AI will get better and better (hopefully), but there is no replacement for having full time recordings to ensure nothing is missed.