New Blue Iris System Build Sheet- 2020

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi guys, building a new blue iris system with a friend for a single family house. They have Arlo now and it has missed a lot of important events. Including a recent bike robbery on the front porch.

Is there anything you would suggest we swap out or add? We are right on budget right now, but understand we may need to spend a bit more if my picks are wrong. We thought a 2MP is adequate over 4k bc it has better night vision (generally speaking) and playback is easier on the system. Requiring a more budget-friendly CPU and HD. But, I’d love to hear your thoughts. Picked the Dahua cameras bc of the flexibility of having the motorized lens, built in mic and good night vision. To optimize the camera angles and zoom once installed on the house.

$170 each: 5 of these. Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z POE 2MP WDR IR Eyeball Network Starlight Camera 2.7mm ~12mm motorized lens Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z POE 2MP WDR IR Eyeball Network Starlight Camera 2.7mm ~12mm motorized lens SD Slot - Newegg.com

$100 junction boxes (nice clean look with Dahua boxes)

$50 connectors and misc items

$70 Blue Iris

$50 500 ft of cat 5 cable Monoprice Cat5e Ethernet Bulk Cable - Solid, 350Mhz, UTP, CMR, Riser Rated, Pure Bare Copper Wire, 24AWG, 500ft, White - Monoprice.com

$90 8 port POE + switch (room to grow Dahua DH PFS3110 8P 96 8 Port PoE Switch Unmanaged Support IEEE802.3af, IEEE802.3at standard Two layer industrial pfs3110 8p 96 - AliExpress

$100 WD Purple 4TB Surveillance Hard Drive - 5400 RPM

$300 Used Dell OptiPlex 5040 SFF Quad Core i7-6700 3.40GHz 8GB 128GB SSD Win10Pro
$1,600 total

Attachments

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd suggest checking with Andy, at EmpireTech, and maybe use the 5442 series, 4MP StarLight, rather than the 5231 series, 2MP StarLight. There, unfortunately, is no varifocal turret in the 5442 series but there is a varifocal bullet. If you're happy with 2MP you could also use the 2231R-ZS and save a few bucks there, as well. The 2231R-ZS has no audio, though, so that can be a consideration, too.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi guys, building a new blue iris system with a friend for a single family house. They have Arlo now and it has missed a lot of important events. Including a recent bike robbery on the front porch.

Is there anything you would suggest we swap out or add? We are right on budget right now, but understand we may need to spend a bit more if my picks are wrong. We thought a 2MP is adequate over 4k bc it has better night vision (generally speaking) and playback is easier on the system. Requiring a more budget-friendly CPU and HD. But, I’d love to hear your thoughts. Picked the Dahua cameras bc of the flexibility of having the motorized lens, built in mic and good night vision. To optimize the camera angles and zoom once installed on the house.
$170 each: 5 of these. Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z POE 2MP WDR IR Eyeball Network Starlight Camera 2.7mm ~12mm motorized lens Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z POE 2MP WDR IR Eyeball Network Starlight Camera 2.7mm ~12mm motorized lens SD Slot - Newegg.com

If still available you'd go with IPC-HDW5231R-ZE. If you could figure out the exact focal length you may find IPC-T5442TM-AS a better cam with higher resolution...but fixed focal length you gotta know which one to select....2.8mm....3.6mm....6mm

Use the
IPVM calculator to help decide.

$100 junction boxes (nice clean look with Dahua boxes)

Someone just posted boxes for less than $10 each delivered.

$50 connectors and misc items

$70 Blue Iris

$50 500 ft of cat 5 cable Monoprice Cat5e Ethernet Bulk Cable - Solid, 350Mhz, UTP, CMR, Riser Rated, Pure Bare Copper Wire, 24AWG, 500ft, White - Monoprice.com

Upgrade to solid copper Cat6 if you can.

$90 8 port POE + switch (room to grow Dahua DH PFS3110 8P 96 8 Port PoE Switch Unmanaged Support IEEE802.3af, IEEE802.3at standard Two layer industrial pfs3110 8p 96 - AliExpress

See if THIS ONE works for you...save a few bucks. I have two of them.

$100 WD Purple 4TB Surveillance Hard Drive - 5400 RPM

May be able to get a 6TB factory reconditioned one on eBay for $100.

$300 Used Dell OptiPlex 5040 SFF Quad Core i7-6700 3.40GHz 8GB 128GB SSD Win10Pro
Maybe a 7040 for $200. You'd probably put a PCIE NVMe card in it. Windows 10 should be installable for free since it's a business class machine.

Are you going to need another NIC card to isolate the POE switch from your home network? PCIE NIC card on eBay is cheap...probably need the half height bracket.

$1,600 total

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@CaliGirl - nice of you to help out a friend with this project. Must be a good friend.
I personally would work on the system design first then make your build list. If you want a consult, post some pics of the house and share coverage objectives. Provide details on outdoor lighting so that can be considered. Also share a network diagram of what they have today and what you are proposing. The gurus here will help you define what is best. Keep in mind that the Arlo system is turn-key providing cloud storage and cell phone alerts. If you want similar alerts using BI, you'll need the BI phone app or something like that and the home network needs to be secure using OpenVPN or something similar. You'll most likely need to upgrade the router. Please keep us posted. Good luck!

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
You can use Chrome on Android smart phone then use link to UI3 interface on BI. Same goes for tablets, computers and smart TVs that have an appropriate web browser.

If you have a router with built-in OpenVPN like an Asus brand router then it should be a snap.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! We have been reading all of your suggestions and adapting our plan to them. We drew out the network diagram and I can share that soon when it is done. Thanks for the BI on amazon lead @area651

Looney that camera looks great. I love the detailed review. Unfortunately, it is still not available that I could find online at this time :(

I will have them order that Dell7040 @sibertiger (need to read up on those upgrades you suggest, doing that today). I have an extra SSD at home for it. I wasn't going to hard wire the dell to their network. I was going to use $10 2.4ghz wireless usb adapter to their eero network. Their network room is hard to reach without pulling wires in the walls. I tried a $80 power ethernet adapter at my house and I could not get as good results as wifi. With wifi I have very little lag or issues on remote playback with teamviewer and BI iOs app. Hopefully the same will be true at this house......

We are running into some challenges bc of supply shortages on the cable and a few other items.

1. Does anyone have a place to get BLACK Cat 5e or Cat6 in bulk 500? Monoprice is out of stock until april......

Is pure bare copper the same as solid copper?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah. Could be stranded wire but I don't think that is an issue. Although it would make the wires less rigid / more flexible and potentially more difficult to crimp RJ45 connectors on.

It is a long shot, but if the house has unused coax cable in the walls (for cable or satellite TV) that happens to be located conveniently then you could get DirecTV DECA adapters super cheap on Amazon and turn that coax into a 100 Mbps network cable. Those are much more reliable in my experience than either wifi or powerline adapters. Really, anything is better than streaming multiple cameras 24/7 over wifi because if nothing else it will slow down the wifi for everyone else.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! We have been reading all of your suggestions and adapting our plan to them. We drew out the network diagram and I can share that soon when it is done. Thanks for the BI on amazon lead @area651

Looney that camera looks great. I love the detailed review. Unfortunately, it is still not available that I could find online at this time :(

I will have them order that Dell7040 @sibertiger (need to read up on those upgrades you suggest, doing that today). I have an extra SSD at home for it. I wasn't going to hard wire the dell to their network. I was going to use $10 2.4ghz wireless usb adapter to their eero network. Their network room is hard to reach without pulling wires in the walls. I tried a $80 power ethernet adapter at my house and I could not get as good results as wifi. With wifi I have very little lag or issues on remote playback with teamviewer and BI iOs app. Hopefully the same will be true at this house......

We are running into some challenges bc of supply shortages on the cable and a few other items.

1. Does anyone have a place to get BLACK Cat 5e or Cat6 in bulk 500? Monoprice is out of stock until april......

If you don't need audio for this project, here's another good choice....thats currently in stock.
Again, it lacks audio: Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a mental block with the 2231T-ZS and always call it the 2231R-ZS for some reason. :(