New Amcrest Dual Lens Camera

jd415

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Does anyone know why this camera has 2 lenses? Per specs its not wider than the average camera. It doesn't appear to be hybrid camera with IR \ white light either.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is basically this camera in turret version (talked about later in the thread). Basically one of the lens obtains the color so it slows the shutter down in low light and the other camera can speed up the shutter and then it blends the two together.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That depends on whether you are ok running the built-in white LEDs of the 4K/T camera.

I think the dual lens camera works well in the following conditions:
  • An overview camera where IDENTIFY is not the primary purpose, but want the ability to obtain color video without a lot of ambient light. I can run this at a much faster shutter than other overview cams and get color with minimal/no blur.
  • A camera with light sources that are way in front of the camera and behind the person. Any situation where a backlight situation happens that would provide a dark/black silhouette. Perhaps an offset of a house where the floodlights would be well ahead of the camera. My last example and Wildcats are great examples of a situation that this camera would do very well in.
  • An area that you want color, have a little bit of ambient light, but do not want the LED camera lights on like what is needed for the 4K/X.
  • Those wanting a turret version for the smaller form factor.
At the end of the day, I think it is a toss up between this camera and the 4K/T. They both serve a purpose and have locations where one would be the better choice than the other. From a pure picture quality standpoint with each camera set up in their ideal location, I would lean a little towards the 4K/T at the moment in a little better clarity due to the larger sensor and more MP, especially if one is willing to use the built-in white LEDs. But in any situation that I mentioned above that would favor this camera, I would have no hesitation with this dual lens camera.

At the end of the day, I am glad I have each camera and have placed each one at the location that allows it to perform its best.