New 4K producing pixelation occasionally

Kamakzie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just got a new 4K driveway camera and occasionally it produces some weird pixelation but only in Blue Iris and doesn't do it in the native software. It's a Morphxstar camera. Below is a screenshot of the pixelation. I figure it's a setting in blue Iris that isn't set right?

upload_2019-6-4_13-54-17.png

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That indicates either data loss or a decoding problem.

Can you post a screenshot of the camera's encoding parameters where bit rate, frame rate, codec, etc is chosen?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That looks mostly fine. Try changing the key frame interval to match the frame rate.

Also look through other network settings in the camera to see if there is a way to force the RTSP stream to use TCP (instead of UDP which is less reliable).

It is also possible it would be more stable with a lower frame rate, bit rate, or both. 15 FPS is a pretty common compromise between smoothness and efficiency. 4K cams at 30 FPS are very taxing for Blue Iris.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What are you using the sub stream for ? if you are not using it turn it off.

Set the frame rate and key frame interval to 15 you are not shooting a holiday movie. Set Bit rate type to VBR.

Kamakzie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What are you using the sub stream for ? if you are not using it turn it off.

Set the frame rate and key frame interval to 15 you are not shooting a holiday movie. Set Bit rate type to VBR.
I will try those settings. Apparently you do need the sub stream for using it on the phone or iPad etc.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I will try those settings. Apparently you do need the sub stream for using it on the phone or iPad etc.
When using blue iris you dont use the substream at all. Blue iris sends to the ipad/phone.
Though disabling it should not make any difference as a stream is not being pulled.
You can also disable hardware acceleration and test. Some of these cams, particularly cheap foscam clones like yours, have issues with HA.

Kamakzie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
When using blue iris you dont use the substream at all. Blue iris sends to the ipad/phone.
Though disabling it should not make any difference as a stream is not being pulled.
You can also disable hardware acceleration and test. Some of these cams, particularly cheap foscam clones like yours, have issues with HA.
I mean that I can't disable the sub stream and use the app that the company makes. I was disabling it through their software. Hopefully I didn't get ripped off because I paid 199 for that camera. It does do 5X zoom.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I mean that I can't disable the sub stream and use the app that the company makes. I was disabling it through their software. Hopefully I didn't get ripped off because I paid 199 for that camera. It does do 5X zoom.
If you are using blue iris you should not need the app the company makes.
You likely did get ripped off, I dont know the model, but that company looks like it sells similar cameras to bottom barrel foscam.

Kamakzie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Kamakzie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
unfortunately, yes you did. If the specs are correct 1/3 sensor 8mp is going to do poorly at night...not to mention the fact that its a low end no name brand. If you can return to amazon you should.
Yes it does do terrible at night. Do you have a recommendation of a camera like that, That would do 4K and look good at night?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes it does do terrible at night. Do you have a recommendation of a camera like that that would do better at 4K?
With 4k you will always be compromising low light but there are new dahua 4k cameras with much larger 1/1.8 sensors that do well. Depending on what you need to accomplish you may be better off with a 5231 starlight 2mp.
Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE

The 8mp 2831 can be found here. Review-Dahua IPC-HFW2831T-ZS 8MP WDR IR Bullet Network Camera

Read the cliff notes.
Note the only the 5231 has a built in mic.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder if I could use a AC adapter as I don't really want to put POE out there because of cold temperatures in the wintertime.
You can feed the cam with 12 volt DC power, but I don't understand why you think POE is a problem in wintertime.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Also yes, that is the camera Fenderman is talking about. It is very common for sellers to put their own name on a product.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As BP noted, poe comes for a poe switch inside your house via ethernet to the camera. That way you only need to router a single ethernet cable to power the cam. Dont mess with the 12v.

Kamakzie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You can feed the cam with 12 volt DC power, but I don't understand why you think POE is a problem in wintertime.
As BP noted, poe comes for a poe switch inside your house via ethernet to the camera. That way you only need to router a single ethernet cable to power the cam. Dont mess with the 12v.
Well up here in Michigan it gets to -10°F sometimes in the winter and most POE switches/inverters only operate at 32°. I figure that it would not operate that far below operating temperature. It's impractical for me to run another ethernet out to the garage as I have one line feeding a switch with 3 cameras on it in the garage. It was some industrial switch that can handle up to 40 below zero. It's not a powered POE switch just a regular network switch.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you saying it gets to -10°F in your garage? Even so I wouldn't expect a PoE switch to have trouble with that. It may even keep itself warm. Most of my cams are fed from PoE switch in an unheated, uninsulated garage in Wyoming where it gets just as cold.

You don't need to run another ethernet cable a long distance, just branch off the switch you already have in the garage.