NEW 1080P Wifi Video Doorbell!

klunkerbus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Registered in order to say thank you for helpful information in this thread. I had upgraded the firmware to the latest as part of my pre-install bench testing, and I was frustrated in that the motion detection didn't seem to be working - only the doorbell ring notification was working. Learning that I should factory reset the doorbell after the firmware upgrade and configure it without the doorbell being part of my NVR setup was the secret I needed. Mentioning that a factory reset is required after a firmware upgrade should really be mentioned in the Nelly's detailed Quick Start guide...

I ordered the NSC-DB1 with a left/right wedge, which are unfortunately white. They stand out against three of the four covers that come with the doorbell, but I did find that Rust-Oleum Dark Bronze Metallic Finish applied to the wedge is almost a perfect match for the bronze cover.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
.................i ordered the NSC-DB1 with a left/right wedge, which are unfortunately white. They stand out against three of the four covers that come with the doorbell, but I did find that Rust-Oleum Dark Bronze Metallic Finish applied to the wedge is almost a perfect match for the bronze cover.
Speaking of painting, you should see some of the best jobs done to help blend in cams I have ever seen, here.

klunkerbus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Back with a question, perhaps for @Sean Nelson or @RyanODan. What is the white aberration near the center of the screen? I've read how there can be a concern with IR reflections from the lens on these doorbells, but I don't see anything like this in nighttime images anyone else has posted.

Admittedly, our front door is located in a shallow nook; I didn't have much choice regarding the wall protrusion on the right. The left-right wedge was used to tip the doorbell to the left.

NSCDB1_night.jpg

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Just a guess, based on similar problems with other cameras, what you're seeing is a f=reflection of you porch light on the lens or dome. You can check it out by kludging a "shade" over the doorbell camera.

klunkerbus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@awsum140 - I had already tried both turning off the porch light AND adding a temporary shield over the doorbell button. Neither made any difference.

klunkerbus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here's a sample daylight picture. This seems to show a "grayness" on the rock wall that lines up with the aberration seen in the dark.

EDIT: This grayness is always there - not just at the particular time of day where some might say it is light glare from the sunlight.

daylight.jpg

Sean Nelson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi Klunker,

Unfortunately, it just looks like some basic IR reflection. How far away is that wall protrusion from the camera? Im not sure if thats causing the issue or not but possibly adding a wedge mount which would angle the camera more to the left would help.

Before we go to that length though, i would maybe recommend just angling this with your hand in realtime and/or moving the doorbell to see if the reflection diminishes at all during certain movements. You can hold the doorbell in one hand while viewing from the cell phone on the other. I know this isnt an ideal test but this would help you determine if this is just a basic IR reflection issue with the camera itself or if the surrounding environment such as the wall protrusion is causing the IR reflection.

klunkerbus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Sean Nelson thanks for the reply. Rather than describing the nook in words, I put together a visio drawing that shows the approximate dimensions - see the "install" attachment. If I could be convinced the issue is the nook or my mounting location, I could live with it. The wedge is what, 15 degrees? I wouldn't want to angle it much more than that in order to keep the doorbell view centered on the walkway, but if it helps...

Unfortunately, the additional testing you suggested pretty much proves to me that this is an issue with my doorbell camera. No matter where I point the camera, the aberration stays exactly the same. I've attached more sample snapshots, resized down a bit. The porch light was on for two images, but again, it doesn't make a difference.

In closely looking at the camera lens when I was unmounting it, I believe some sort of blemish is noticeable on the lens right about where the aberration is. I can't tell if it is a blemish on the outside or not, but it is there. I tried rubbing it with a soft cloth, but it remains there. I'm pretty sure I didn't scuff the lens during intall - I kept the protective cover on until just before first powering it up.

At this point I think submitting the doorbell under the warranty process would be the next step. 1) I can see a blemish of some sort on the lens. 2) Daylight images have a "grayness" about where the blemish is. 3) Nighttime images show blooming about where the blemish is. 4) The aberration or blooming moves with the camera as it is moved, and doesn't change as the camera orientation to potentially reflective surfaces changes. 5) Demo clips or images posted by others don't show this.

install.jpg view_2.jpg view_3.jpg view_4.jpg

Sean Nelson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@Sean Nelson thanks for the reply. Rather than describing the nook in words, I put together a visio drawing that shows the approximate dimensions - see the "install" attachment. If I could be convinced the issue is the nook or my mounting location, I could live with it. The wedge is what, 15 degrees? I wouldn't want to angle it much more than that in order to keep the doorbell view centered on the walkway, but if it helps...

Unfortunately, the additional testing you suggested pretty much proves to me that this is an issue with my doorbell camera. No matter where I point the camera, the aberration stays exactly the same. I've attached more sample snapshots, resized down a bit. The porch light was on for two images, but again, it doesn't make a difference.

In closely looking at the camera lens when I was unmounting it, I believe some sort of blemish is noticeable on the lens right about where the aberration is. I can't tell if it is a blemish on the outside or not, but it is there. I tried rubbing it with a soft cloth, but it remains there. I'm pretty sure I didn't scuff the lens during intall - I kept the protective cover on until just before first powering it up.

At this point I think submitting the doorbell under the warranty process would be the next step. 1) I can see a blemish of some sort on the lens. 2) Daylight images have a "grayness" about where the blemish is. 3) Nighttime images show blooming about where the blemish is. 4) The aberration or blooming moves with the camera as it is moved, and doesn't change as the camera orientation to potentially reflective surfaces changes. 5) Demo clips or images posted by others don't show this.

View attachment 33618 View attachment 33619 View attachment 33620 View attachment 33621

Thanks for the excellent testing and images. Really appreciate that. I agree, since the relfection seems to stay in the same exact place every where you move it, seems to be an issue with the doorbell. Shoot me a PM with your order info and I will get this taken care of for you.

klunkerbus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
FWIW, I had some extra time today and threw together the attachment. It tries to address some of the technical aspects behind wiring up doorbells in general, some specifics in wiring the DB1, and culminates in describing an electronic circuit that can be used to extend the minimal delay between chime tones from the DB1. Figures in the write-up are left as hand drawn sketches - fancier ones would have been a lot more work to prepare.

EDIT (31 Oct 2018): Replaced the attachment with Rev A. This corrects the identified errata and also tries to clarify a few areas.

Attachments

Last edited:

realist123

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been having an issue with my Uniden DB1 where the SD card has to be re-initialized every few days.

Any idea the cause?

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've had issues with SD card brands in two different dash cams. Same cards were always fine in my PC but caused reboots, etc, in my cams. I've consistently found that Samsung cards work all the time and now only use Samsung cards in my dash cams and my IP cams that take SD cards including the doorbell. Never had an issue. Try a Samsung card. Though I've never had an issue with their regular cards, I'm testing one of their PRO Endurance cards in my dash cam. So far (2 months) no issues.

cheezer77

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently got this doorbell camera from the Black Friday sale. Works great with my other Hikvision devices.

However - when I did the setup (using HikConnect app), I was never given the option to setup the device password, and so I can't login the web interface, nor can I add the camera to IVMS-4200. When I try to reset the pw via the Hikconnect app, it wants to send to my email address (which I haven't registered)

I've tried resetting the device and re-doing the wifi pair, but no luck on setting pw. Same goes for SADP. Any ideas how I can set/reset the password?

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I recently got this doorbell camera from the Black Friday sale. Works great with my other Hikvision devices.

However - when I did the setup (using HikConnect app), I was never given the option to setup the device password, and so I can't login the web interface, nor can I add the camera to IVMS-4200. When I try to reset the pw via the Hikconnect app, it wants to send to my email address (which I haven't registered)

I've tried resetting the device and re-doing the wifi pair, but no luck on setting pw. Same goes for SADP. Any ideas how I can set/reset the password?
It should be admin + your Verification code on the doorbell label(ex: ABCDEF) => "adminABCDEF" is what you'll use to login to web interface and change to your desired password.

cheezer77

n3wb
Reaction score
It should be admin + your Verification code on the doorbell label(ex: ABCDEF) => "adminABCDEF" is what you'll use to login to web interface and change to your desired password.
Awesome - that worked! I had searched everywhere (manuals, forums), thanks for the help!

Next step is to figure out how to secure this thing so it doesn't talk over the internet... (seems that the QR code setup method links this over the web, because I receive doorbell rings even when I'm not at home)...